Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Next GM and Head Coach

There was only 2 black GMs in 2019. One being the Dolphins who have one of the two black head coaches.

The Lions and Falcons now have black GMs and we both know Holmes wasn?t part of the head coaching process.

We?ve hired Martin Mayhew who hired Jim Caldwell, now we hired Brad Holmes. Your point is lacking all throughout this.

Explain Brian Daboll as well. He has a defensive head coach and ran a great offense and tutored a young qb as well who is a stud. Matt Eberflus is a defensive coordinator who serves under an offensive head coach and also does not have a job after having a very successful time turning around the colts. Once again, Greg Roman has a resume as well. All of the guys I mentioned actually have obvious direct success tied to them. Which is more than I can say for Bienimi. Will he be a bad head coach? Idk. But if you?re going to make a point then you have to consider all the options and see if it happens to white coaches too. Which is very well does, which makes your point moot.

What happened to best qualification rather than race.

Not sure that?s ever been a thing in the NFL. Maybe that?s why they have to put rules and compensations in place to even consider a minority.

Not sure that?s ever been a thing in the NFL. Maybe that?s why they have to put rules and compensations in place to even consider a minority.

No one here knows what goes on in the NFL. There's racism in the world why wouldn't there be some in the NFL.

Maybe more whites should be CB, or WR?

We’ve hired Martin Mayhew who hired Jim Caldwell, now we hired Brad Holmes. Your point is lacking all throughout this.

Explain Brian Daboll as well. He has a defensive head coach and ran a great offense and tutored a young qb as well who is a stud. Matt Eberflus is a defensive coordinator who serves under an offensive head coach and also does not have a job after having a very successful time turning around the colts. Once again, Greg Roman has a resume as well. All of the guys I mentioned actually have obvious direct success tied to them. Which is more than I can say for Bienimi. Will he be a bad head coach? Idk. But if you’re going to make a point then you have to consider all the options and see if it happens to white coaches too. Which is very well does, which makes your point moot.

The same Mayhew and Caldwell who turned this into a winning organization and playoff teams. The same guys who were fired for Quinn and Patricia?

Last edited:
No one here knows what goes on in the NFL. There's racism in the world why wouldn't there be some in the NFL.

Maybe more whites should be CB, or WR?

This is a poor post, Mitch. I respect you as a poster but this is poor.

“I refused to hire my friends that are average coaches or the guy that I owe but is an average coach but outstanding human being, because that’s how you become average,” Campbell told ESPN.

Love that quote from Campbell

There was only 2 black GMs in 2019. One being the Dolphins who have one of the two black head coaches.

The Lions and Falcons now have black GMs and we both know Holmes wasn?t part of the head coaching process.

Dude, chill the out...

Remember Mayhew? Caldwell?

I do not think the Lions are opposed to having black GMs or coaches at this point. Maybe 20+ years ago, but in the past 10 years they have been willing to bring in who they feel is the best person to coach the team.

You're acting like anytime a white person is a GM or coach is because their is a bias against blacks. They went with the people who gave the answers that fit what they desire during the interview.

Do I think these guys are the best? My opinion is moot...just like your biased opinion about how the Lions are showing bias by not hiring a black person THIS time. Does not matter to you that they have done it in the past, and likely will again in the future. No, just keep on hating just to hate.

Zero proof...We hired a TE coach who was talking about biting knee caps and breaking bones in his first presser. Meanwhile, the offensive coordinator for the best offense remains jobless. It?s not just Campbell but the whole NFL.

No black head coaches hired this year.
Only one team in the NFL has a black GM and black head coach.
69% of NFL players are black.
Only 2 head coaches are black.

The NFL has to put in rules just to get the owners/GMs to interview and compensate them for hiring minorities. That?s sad!

I will fully agree that the NFL is underrepresented in not only GMs/coaches...what about VPs and Owners? Obviously these things will happen eventually, it is only a matter of time...but it unfortunately is not reality yet.

To become a VP, probably need to have a few successful years at the GM level. Glad to see Mayhew is getting another shot, IMO he deserves it. He put together a strong team initially, unfortunately it was not enough to win playoff games (to me that is on Stafford).

The knock on Mayhew and Caldwell was not winning in the playoffs. The Fords said they want to win in the playoffs. They brought in Quinn/Patricia...that proved to be a massive mistake...but the goal of winning in the playoffs remains the same.

It is not like Tomlin or other black coaches with a history of winning in the playoffs applied to coach the Lions. If they had and the Lions still went with an unproven white coach instead, then I would be with you on this 100%. I do not give a F about the race of any of these guys, I just want playoff wins which hopefully can translate into SB wins.

If you think there are better black GMs and coaches WHO APPLIED TO BE WITH THE LIONS then list them. If they have playoff wins on their resume, I will gladly agree with you. I have no loyalty to who they brought in, I am merely trusting they are who interviewed the best and showed what is believed a potential to win in the playoffs.

The NFL is years behind as far as equality. They have a ?shut up and play? mentality.

The NFL is secretive, certainly. And it fines players for wearing their socks wrong. Insofar as compliance to rules, the NFL is all about ?equality.?

However, I don?t know if ?equality? and professional sports are compatible. Competition and equality are mutually exclusive. It appears that the best players competing in the pool for positions NFL players are black and that GMs and coaches are choosing them primarily based on ability. Otherwise, there would be more than 28% of the players in the league who are white, if there was a bias to select players based on race.

As for the ?shut up and play? ... what would you have anyone employed by the NFL or an NFL team do in response? Criticize something? Make a political statement? I think that?s already happening with regularity.

They blackballed a QB for taking a knee.

I think his is somewhat of an oversimplification, but it definitely hindered his ability to play again. But if Kaepernick was good as say, Deshawn Watson, he?d have been signed by some team.

They didn?t start talking about BLM until it became a cool and the in thing to do for cooperation, even though the majority of the players are black.

I suppose better late than never, right? And if you mean BLM the organization, well, I?d be ostracized for not supporting it, or for not even declaring my position.

Dan Campbell is a example of white privlage because having a black GM and a black head coach would have been too much. It had nothing to do w his ?interview?.

I outright reject this statement. I think that the fans of the Detroit Lions would accept ?or actually ignore ? any racial combination of coach and GM that would improve this team and lead it to a championship, or even respectability with the hope of being a champion.

I think that the fans of the Detroit Lions would accept ?or actually ignore ? any racial combination of coach and GM that would improve this team and lead it to a championship, or even respectability with the hope of being a champion.

This to an infinite percentage. Lions fans, and I believe management, do not give 2 shits about anyone's race, they just want a fucking Super Bowl win. If they created a way to develop communication with bacteria and the bacteria was able to lead them to a SB win, I sure as hell would not be looking for antibiotics.

When shopping Stafford, did not expect to get a SB QB plus 2 R1 picks in return.

Rams have short term-itis. Lions have a 3-5 year plan they are working through. When the Lions are peaking, the Rams will be bottom feeders...and Stafford will not win a Super Bowl for them. Feel free to throw it in my face if they do...I just do not believe Stafford will ever win a playoff game. He will manage to pick-6 his way to losing if he gets into the playoffs.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2021/02...-dl-coach-todd-wash-to-outstanding-staff.html

ALLEN PARK -- Dan Campbell has seen the film. He?s heard the stories. He knows the job ahead of him is considerable, and the Detroit Lions are probably two or three years from returning to competitivness.

But he also thinks the staff he?s hired will be capable of an across-the-board improvement from Day 1.

?Every player on this roster is going to be better than they were last year,? Campbell said. ?I know that with everything in my heart because of the staff I brought in. That?s why I made this investment into our staff of guys that we kept or added. I believe these guys are outstanding teachers, they?re outstanding men, they?re outstanding coaches. You want to change a culture? Bring in great people. You want to make your guys better? Don?t just bring in great people, bring in great teachers of the game. So if nothing else happens, those players will be better next year than they were last year. That?s the starting point.?

With four more hires now in place, the starting point for Campbell?s staff is nearly complete.

The Lions announced on Wednesday they?ve hired Todd Wash as their defensive line coach, Seth Ryan as an assistant receivers coach and Kelvin Sheppard and Brian Duker as defensive assistants.

Wash is the big name in that group, after serving as Jacksonville?s defensive coordinator the last five seasons. His defenses ranked among the six best in the league each of his first three seasons too, before a talent drain of stars like Jalen Ramsey, Yannick Ngakoue, Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye and Tashaun Gipson plummeted Jacksonville to the bottom of the league.

Wash came up as a defensive line coach over the years, serving in that role for Tampa Bay (2008-10), Seattle (2011-12) and Jacksonville (2013-15) before earning his promotion to defensive coordinator.

Ryan will serve as the assistant to a receivers coach who has yet to be named, although former Steelers star Hines Ward is rumored to be under consideration. Campbell has outfitted his staff with other former players like defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn, offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn, assistant head coach/running backs coach Duce Staley and linebackers coach Mark DeLeone.

Now he?s hired Sheppard, a former Lions linebacker, as a defensive assistant too. Sheppard made five tackles in seven games with Detroit in 2018, the first season of the Matt Patricia era. He was originally selected by Buffalo in the third round of the 2011 draft and split eight seasons with the Bills, Colts, Dolphins, Giants and Lions. He appeared in 107 career games and logged 400 total tackles, 3.0 sacks and two interceptions.

Here?s where the staff stands:

Head coach: Dan Campbell

Offensive coordinator: Anthony Lynn

Offensive line: Hank Fraley

Running backs/assistant head coach: Duce Staley

Tight ends: Ben Johnson

Receivers: TBD

Assistant receivers: Seth Ryan

Quarterbacks: Mark Brunell

Defensive coordinator: Aaron Glenn

Defensive line: Todd Wash

Linebackers: Mark DeLeone

Defensive backs: Aubrey Pleasant

Defensive assistant: Kelvin Sheppard, Brian Duker

Special teams coordinator: Dave Fipp

Seems like another solid hire.

lol

"Wash is the big name in that group, after serving as Jacksonville’s defensive coordinator the last five seasons. His defenses ranked among the six best in the league each of his first three seasons too, before a talent drain of stars like Jalen Ramsey, Yannick Ngakoue, Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye and Tashaun Gipson plummeted Jacksonville to the bottom of the league."

NO SHIT! When he had 5 all pro caliber players, the D was top 6. When they left they were at the bottom of the league. Maybe he isn't a good coach. Maybe they were top 6 because of the 5 stud players.

lol

"Wash is the big name in that group, after serving as Jacksonville?s defensive coordinator the last five seasons. His defenses ranked among the six best in the league each of his first three seasons too, before a talent drain of stars like Jalen Ramsey, Yannick Ngakoue, Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye and Tashaun Gipson plummeted Jacksonville to the bottom of the league."

NO SHIT! When he had 5 all pro caliber players, the D was top 6. When they left they were at the bottom of the league. Maybe he isn't a good coach. Maybe they were top 6 because of the 5 stud players.

Ngakoue and Campbell to Flowers, Shelton and Strong....lmao!

lol

"Wash is the big name in that group, after serving as Jacksonville?s defensive coordinator the last five seasons. His defenses ranked among the six best in the league each of his first three seasons too, before a talent drain of stars like Jalen Ramsey, Yannick Ngakoue, Calais Campbell, A.J. Bouye and Tashaun Gipson plummeted Jacksonville to the bottom of the league."

Campbell had the best years of his career in Jacksonville. Ngakoue has not looked like the same player since he left. Bouye was nowhere near the player after he left, and Gibson's play tailed off for a couple years after he left. Not trying to say it was Wash, but by saying he had good player of course his defense was good is ignorant. Guy was hired as our D-Line coach after being a D-Coordinator for 5 years, three of which produced very good defenses. Regardless of the talent he had the guy has a pretty good resume.

Does that mean he is gonna be an awesome D-Line coach for us? who the fuck knows, but your statement is extremely ignorant to say the least.

Campbell had the best years of his career in Jacksonville. Ngakoue has not looked like the same player since he left. Bouye was nowhere near the player after he left, and Gibson's play tailed off for a couple years after he left. Not trying to say it was Wash, but by saying he had good player of course his defense was good is ignorant. Guy was hired as our D-Line coach after being a D-Coordinator for 5 years, three of which produced very good defenses. Regardless of the talent he had the guy has a pretty good resume.

Does that mean he is gonna be an awesome D-Line coach for us? who the fuck knows, but your statement is extremely ignorant to say the least.

It's not ignorant, it's rational. The article itself says that when he had those guys the defense was top 6 and when they left it was at the bottom of the league.

And I said "maybe he isn't a good coach" How is that any different than you saying you "is the gonna be an awesome D-Line coach, who the fuck knows"

I didn't say he isn't a good coach, I said maybe he isn't.

Lol packers just hired joe barry as their dc. He was our dc in 2008. Rod marinellis son in law lol

Seems like he is pulling assistant from all over the place. Got one from Jags, Saints, Rams, Chargers, Bears, Eagles, Ravens, and now the Bucs. Glad he's not just trying to pluck everyone from one team, gonna have a mix of a lot of different coaching backgrounds.

As far as Randle El, he was always an interesting player to watch. Not sure how that will translate to coaching, but we have to get him some WR's to work with first.

Back