Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Niners Mortgage the Future Move to #3

We ended up w a top 10 pick. It does t matter where it is, we just need to hit on it.

If we had a top 3 pick again, we would?ve been fools for trading it and passing up another top rated QB on a rookie contract for the next 4-5 years.

so, if there is a top rated QB at 7, should they take him?

Good thing they got Goff and are not needing to trade up. Glad they got a starting QB plus additional picks instead of losing picks to move up for a QB.

I?m all for trading up if that?s what it takes to get your guy...I wish we would?ve traded up one spot last year and got Chase Young. I would gladly have given up last years 1st, 2nd and this years 1st and 3rd, just to move up one spot.

We ended up w a top 10 pick. It does t matter where it is, we just need to hit on it.

If we had a top 3 pick again, we would?ve been fools for trading it and passing up another top rated QB on a rookie contract for the next 4-5 years.

Every year there are new QB's who are predicted as top guys.

I?m all for trading up if that?s what it takes to get your guy...I wish we would?ve traded up one spot last year and got Chase Young. I would gladly have given up last years 1st, 2nd and this years 1st and 3rd, just to move up one spot.

This is counterproductive IMO. While Young is talented, you would give up 4 potential starters for 1 guy? That should only happen if going after a QB. Give me 4 solid D starters over 1 stud D guy. D requires balance at every level, otherwise a good OC finds the weakest point and targets it while avoiding the strength. Sure, that 1 guy improves the D overall, but not equal to ability of 4 good defenders. Shoot, I could get 4 DLs and have an entire DLine instead of 1 stud and 3 sub par guys. The stud gets doubled and the O avoids him and targets the weak spot.

One more advantage is an injury to the stud and the entire D suffers. An injury to even 3 of the 4 in my scenario means I still have a good weapon on the field. Might not be a stud, but should still be good enough to make plays every game.

Just my opinion though, and you have legit reasons for yours.

They say that about every position. Look at the TE and CB we drafted in the top 10 last 2urs. How is that working?

That just says you don't don't draft CB and TE top ten.

Hock is good..Okudah is potential

Problem is we whiffed elsewhere..free agency and day 2 plus bad coaching..its not because we took te and cb

We could have taken ed oliver and justin herbert and still been god awful under patricia because of all the other failings

Also maybe we dont get as good an offer Stafford of we have Herbert or Tua..teams would know we are trying to dump Stafford and his cap number then

Last edited:
Hock is good..Okudah is potential

Problem is we whiffed elsewhere..free agency and day 2 plus bad coaching..its not because we took te and cb

We could have taken ed oliver and justin herbert and still been god awful under patricia because of all the other failings

Also maybe we dont get as good an offer Stafford of we have Herbert or Tua..teams would know we are trying to dump Stafford and his cap number then

Good and potential doesn?t cut it. You need to be elite at those positions when taken in the top 10.

We had teams lining up for Stafford this year. Teams would?ve lined up last year.

You don’t have to be elite taking in the top 10 as a QB, just average to good. You’re saving $30+ mil in cap space. CB and TE, different story.

Would Lions win a Super Bowl with Tua next season.
Most teams arent on a rookie qb deal that win
KC, Seattle.the exceptions. And that required many many other hits by their gms. Drafting well overall not having cap space for free agents

Goff has 10 mil cap hit. Baker over 10, kyler murray 9.7, darnold 9.7. Are we super bowl contenders..qb getting a cap hit like a rookie now

Last edited:
That just says you don't don't draft CB and TE top ten.

So you would not draft, say, Charles Woodson Deion Sanders or Patrick Peterson type of talent? I would have been very pleased with the Lions doing that.

You don?t have to be elite taking in the top 10 as a QB, just average to good. You?re saving $30+ mil in cap space. CB and TE, different story.

Everyone said Goff sucked yet LA went to the playoffs. If you agree he sucked you don't even need a good QB.

So you would not draft, say, Charles Woodson Deion Sanders or Patrick Peterson type of talent? I would have been very pleased with the Lions doing that.

Preface it with 'the Lions'. But you just listed hall of fame players. The fact is we're not drafting them. Those guys were game changers (year one), Okudah isn't.

Everyone said Goff sucked yet LA went to the playoffs. If you agree he sucked you don't even need a good QB.

The Rams gave up so much for Goff. Didnt start winning until he changed coaches and they built a team which required day 2 and free agency hits. But rams gave up multiple 1sts for Goff and maby feel a 1st to dump him too. And then built a team without any 1st round picks from 2017 through 2020

Glad the Lions got two 1sts and 3rd and Goff for Stafford. Now that is the best way to gain a qb that can get you to a super bowl. Getting a 1st and the qb. Then restructuee and make his cap hit equal to rookies. Now just build the team

I'm not upset about Goff just saying you can win with an okay or average QB or worse. P. Manning's last season he was awful yet they won a SB.

Its been proven time and time again you can get deep into the playoffs with a good defense and good run game. Over and over and over again the lions neglect both and tried to win by getting stafford MOAR weapons instead of focusing on the other areas of the team. It didnt work and then everyone cried that Stafford had no support.

A cheap QB on a rookie deal and building your defense back up would have been a preferred way to rebuild imo. Crappy QB making $20+ mil a year with a crappy defense makes no sense to me.

Its been proven time and time again you can get deep into the playoffs with a good defense and good run game. Over and over and over again the lions neglect both and tried to win by getting stafford MOAR weapons instead of focusing on the other areas of the team. It didnt work and then everyone cried that Stafford had no support.

A cheap QB on a rookie deal and building your defense back up would have been a preferred way to rebuild imo. Crappy QB making $20+ mil a year with a crappy defense makes no sense to me.

sure seems like this is what the 49ers are doing.

I'm not upset about Goff just saying you can win with an okay or average QB or worse. P. Manning's last season he was awful yet they won a SB.

Average (or worse) QB's that won SBs:

Jim McMahon
Doug Williams
Jeff Hostetler
Mark Rypien
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Nick Foles

The list is short.

Back