Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Scherzer rejects Tigers contract offer

Hard to believe that former Detroit Tiger Max Scherzer has been gone for 7 years now. In articles, he is no longer referred to as a former Tiger and his identity is fully tied to the Washington Nationals. Nats fans now feel the same sadness Tiger fans did when he left Detroit.

The Tigers offered him $144 million. They had signed Justin Verlander to a $180 extension. Miguel Cabrera was given a $248 million extension.
Scherzer signed with the Nationals for $210 mill with deferred payments that run through 2028.

These 3 men all won World Series Championships but each with other teams - Houston, Washington and Miami. Scherzer is hoping to add a 2nd ring now that he is with the Dodgers. His $210 mill deal is considered one of baseball's best contracts given his contributions and awards.

Totally Tigers

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Avila want them is the question. I suspect neither. I think Max will stay in the NL.

Giants will sign Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, http://MLB.com predicts.

Whoever wrote the article didn't do their homework. No team is going to put these two together. They are oil and water. Way too much history that wouldn't make this an ideal reunion.

There were issues when they were together in Detroit. JV getting the Opening Day start after Max won the Cy Young for example. And there there was the mess with trying to re-sign Max. Reports that one reason he left was to get out from JV's shadow.

While JV has been diplomatic in his comments, Max hasn't, especially when it came to the juiced balls controversy.

Totally Tigers

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/01/03/watercooler-wednesday-66/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Today, another opportunity for readers to discuss the hottest topics in a forum where thoughtful dialog and a variety of opinions are welcomed.

Let?s create some running conversational threads. And for those of you back in actual offices, here?s a question to take with you ? or use via Zoom ? as you talk to your co-workers.

Here is today?s topic??..

Justin Verlander will be joining his former teammate, Max Scherzer, in NY as the 1-2 punch of the starting rotation. Both will be making identical salaries this year of $43+ million each.

Max will be 39 this year. JV will be 40. Both on a team in which the owner is determined to be hoisting a trophy in October and has spent over $376 million in trying to do so. That payroll doesn?t even include Carlos Correa?s salary should he join them. Overall, the Mets will be paying in excess of $500 mill in salary when the luxury tax is included.

Both JV and Max are stars with numerous awards among them. But is it a wise decision to have your 2 top pitchers aged 39 and 40?

What are the chances they are more likely to get injured or run out of steam during a long season?

And if they do make it through, will they be able to compete in the post-season? And if that happens, will they pitch at their best?

The signing of them was initiated by the owner, not the GM.

Do you think it?s a good idea to have your top 2 pitchers sitting at ages that are considered to be very advanced for professional athletes?

Is it a good move to have Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer as your #1 and #2 starting pitchers?

1. Yes, they are stars.

2. No, their advanced ages make them too risky.

VOTE

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/04/24/monday-musings-64/
MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

Throughout the week, there are so many smaller stories hitting the media. They may be bite-size, but often they are just as important as the headline-grabbing news. Sometimes, even more.

And that?s what brings me to today. A way to bring them out in the open and invite conversation about some of these subjects.

And that?s the plan for Mondays. Keeping track of these mighty little bits that hit my radar throughout the week and sharing them with you today because I know one or more will also resonate with you. So, let?s kick off this week?s musings?

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/10/25/a-decade-too-late/
A DECADE TOO LATE.
Totally Tigers

During this time of year when October baseball is being played, we can?t help but reminisce about some of the unresolved issues we had with the Tigers during those 2006 ? 2016 years. For some of us, trying to wrap our minds around how it all turned out the way it did.

Especially when we?re constantly reading stories about a disproportionate number of former Tigers who are once again in the thick of it. And winning those rings.

For me recently, it?s been the multiple stories all praising Max Scherzer during the playoffs and how he?s stepped up. It appears that those reporters are not familiar with what happened during the 2013 playoffs.

Once I stopped retching over the stories, I had to revisit some memories and wonder ?what if??

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/10/25/a-decade-too-late/
A DECADE TOO LATE.
Totally Tigers

During this time of year when October baseball is being played, we can?t help but reminisce about some of the unresolved issues we had with the Tigers during those 2006 ? 2016 years. For some of us, trying to wrap our minds around how it all turned out the way it did.

Especially when we?re constantly reading stories about a disproportionate number of former Tigers who are once again in the thick of it. And winning those rings.

For me recently, it?s been the multiple stories all praising Max Scherzer during the playoffs and how he?s stepped up. It appears that those reporters are not familiar with what happened during the 2013 playoffs.

Once I stopped retching over the stories, I had to revisit some memories and wonder ?what if??

Although I wish that series had turned out differently, on the whole, I am on Max's side on this one.

No one forgets the the fact Scherzer pitched shit this past series vs Houston and with the Mets last postseason. So how has he stepped up?

Back