Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Scherzer rejects Tigers contract offer

Based on recent performance and an overall simplistic view, the two are on a similar level as far as starting pitchers.

I don't think he's nearly as good as Kershaw and I don't think he's worth even $24MM. But it's not up to me and if I were in his position I'd be asking for more too.

"You think the Rays or Pirates would pay Max 24m?"

What does that have to do with anything? Not every baseball team is on equal footing, money-wise. Those aren't big markets and they won't ever sign top tier FAs for top dollar. Do I think the Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers would pay Max over $24MM? Absolutely.

I hope Max goes out there and gets $30MM, if only to prove how ludicrous today's contracts are.

You think Max making 30m will prove any of that? All it will do is one year wonders will think they're worth 40m.

Boss: We're going to double your pay from 60k to 120k.

Guy: Not good enough boss.

Max is a greedy mother fk'er.

A house is never too big at his age, plus it's probably considered an investment considering the neighbor hood it's in. It's not like he is buying the Manoogian Mansion in Detroit. Car's can be handed down and believe it or not, some actually hold or increase their value. I know for a fact that many actually do think about their family's future. Gibby is a great example. He is a keen investor that has all those luxury things and his family will be of benefit for future generations to come. Trammell is another. Granderson as well but he is more frugal in terms of worldly things. Nothing wrong with the old manly duty of taking care of his family.

If you say so. 24 for 6, not good for future generations but 26 for 8 is..I don't buy it.

If you say so. 24 for 6, not good for future generations but 26 for 8 is..I don't buy it.

Well, those are totally two different scenarios from an investment standpoint. 64 mil is a lot of jack. My theory is he is looking for 28 mil for 6 and more than likely get it if he has similar performance this year. Chances are, he will. A light seemed to turn on for him mechanically and his stuff is flat out some of the nastiest in the game.

Last edited:
Well, those are totally two different scenarios from an investment standpoint. 16 mil is a lot of jack. My theory is he is looking for 28 mil for 6 and more than likely get it if he has similar performance this year. Chances are, he will. A light seemed to turn on for him mechanically and his stuff is flat out some of the nastiest in the game.

And he's holding out for future generations, eh?

My guess is he just wants more years. This is going to be his one and only big payday.

No one says he can't pitch after the contract is up or is he thinking 8m a year after making 144m isn't good enough.

No one says he can't pitch after the contract is up or is he thinking 8m a year after making 144m isn't good enough.

and to add... bet the NFL players covet the guarantee contact.

I don't know what he is thinking...it is just a guess. Maybe he wants what JV got. If I remember correctly JV wanted to ge more than Felix when they were the highest paid pitchers. Maybe there is an ego thing too.

and to add... bet the NFL players covet the guarantee contact.

That's the greatest thing about the NFL. MAYBE unfair owners sign then and can release them at certain points. NFL is more popular but they don't make near what MLB does..

Last edited:
I don't know what he is thinking...it is just a guess. Maybe he wants what JV got. If I remember correctly JV wanted to ge more than Felix when they were the highest paid pitchers. Maybe there is an ego thing too.

No doubt ego plays a role. What happens when Mike I passes? I know he might not do day to day anymore but maybe his family don't want to spend, salaries like JV, Miggy and the Max possibly etc..they go very cheap elsewhere because they want the payroll south of 100m?

No doubt ego plays a role. What happens when Mike I passes? I know he might not do day to day anymore but maybe his family don't want to spend, salaries like JV, Miggy and the Max possibly etc..they go very cheap elsewhere because they want the payroll south of 100m?

That's exactly what I have been preaching for some time. I am on an island with the opinion that the Tigers not extend Max and Miggy. Miggy is going to be 33 at the start of his first season after this contract. Why on earth would you want to give someone that is 33 contracts of 6/$180 or 7/$210M?

You think Max making 30m will prove any of that? All it will do is one year wonders will think they're worth 40m.

Boss: We're going to double your pay from 60k to 120k.

Guy: Not good enough boss.

Max is a greedy mother fk'er.

It's more like...you were employee of the year, so we're going to pay you 120k, but your co-workers are making 130k

I also think your anger is directed at the wrong party. If Max had turned down $30MM a year, then I think you could call him greedy. I also don't see where he's a one year wonder, while last year was his best year, 2010 and 2012 were good too. It's not like he came out of nowhere.

If teams are willing to pay it, then it will continue

But there is hope

The NFL put a cap on rookie salaries

The NHL put a limit on contract years

It's more like...you were employee of the year, so we're going to pay you 120k, but your co-workers are making 130k

I'd amend that to read:

"It's more like...you were employee of the year, so we're going to pay you 120k, but your co-worker that has a track history of out performing you for all the years prior will make 130k."

Last edited:
I'd amend that to read:

"It's more like...you were employee of the year, so we're going to pay you 120k, but your co-worker that has a track history of out performing you for all the years prior will make 130k."

Employer: There were two employees of the year in our industry out of 150 cantidates and you were one of them. You are guaranteed to make $150K this year and can't leave our company until after this year. The other guy who won employee of the year was in the same boat but he has won multiple employee of the year awards. They just gave him $300K a year. We are offering you $240K a year.

Max: I think there are other companies that will pay closer to what he got. I will fufill my contract and see what I can get next year.

Employer: There were two employees of the year in our industry out of 150 cantidates and you were one of them. You are guaranteed to make $150K this year and can't leave our company until after this year. The other guy who won employee of the year was in the same boat but he has won multiple employee of the year awards. They just gave him $300K a year. We are offering you $240K a year.

Max: I think there are other companies that will pay closer to what he got. I will fufill my contract and see what I can get next year.

This here

Better example than mine

Also, Tanaka hasn't even thrown a pitch yet in the majors and the Yankees are paying him $22MM a year for the next 7 years. I'm sure Scherzer/Boras think they can get much more than that.

Man the fans on all the radio show's today have sure turned on Max turning down the contract by the tigers...

Man the fans on all the radio show's today have sure turned on Max turning down the contract by the tigers...

Well we do have all those MLB ready pitchers down on the farm so I can't figure out why everyone is so mad.

As much as I dislike him, have to respect a guy like Jered Weaver. He signed an extension with Boras as his agent after finishing 2nd in the CY voting and bing one of the top pitchers for a few years.

The contract he agreed to would be considered peanuts to what Scherzer wants, but Weaver basically skipped the FA payday to stay with his club. The most Weaver will ever make is $20MM a year the last year of his contract.

Back