Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Scherzer rejects Tigers contract offer

As much as I dislike him, have to respect a guy like Jered Weaver. He signed an extension with Boras as his agent after finishing 2nd in the CY voting and bing one of the top pitchers for a few years.

The contract he agreed to would be considered peanuts to what Scherzer wants, but Weaver basically skipped the FA payday to stay with his club. The most Weaver will ever make is $20MM a year the last year of his contract.

Proves he was about as smart as his brother...

I don't give respect to someone like that. My respect goes to someone like Alan Trammell, they offered him money, he took it. No haggle, no holding out. Pure sportsmanship.

I got to thinking....maybe the reason Max turned down the offer isn't about the money. Max is a smart guy. He knows what the Tigers have in guaranteed contracts with JV, Sanchez, Miggy and Kinsler. He knows that the Tigers intend to extend Miggy as well. Maybe he doesn't want to be part of 5 aging guys that will account for about $115M a year and have nothing to go with it. He sees a farm system with no talent. He sees an owner that has been spending more than the franchise can support and that owner has one foot in the grave. They only have one young player on the current roster that has all star potential. Why sign with a team with so many questions and a huge ownership issue in the near future? The short term and long term future really doesn't look very good for the Tigers.

Maybe it wasn't about the money at all....maybe he sees a franchise about to hit a slide into mediocrity???

I got to thinking....maybe the reason Max turned down the offer isn't about the money. Max is a smart guy. He knows what the Tigers have in guaranteed contracts with JV, Sanchez, Miggy and Kinsler. He knows that the Tigers intend to extend Miggy as well. Maybe he doesn't want to be part of 5 aging guys that will account for about $115M a year and have nothing to go with it. He sees a farm system with no talent. He sees an owner that has been spending more than the franchise can support and that owner has one foot in the grave. They only have one young player on the current roster that has all star potential. Why sign with a team with so many questions and a huge ownership issue in the near future? The short term and long term future really doesn't look very good for the Tigers.

Maybe it wasn't about the money at all....maybe he sees a franchise about to hit a slide into mediocrity???

The Mets, bet on it.

No doubt ego plays a role. What happens when Mike I passes? I know he might not do day to day anymore but maybe his family don't want to spend, salaries like JV, Miggy and the Max possibly etc..they go very cheap elsewhere because they want the payroll south of 100m?
Ive been seeing some people on twitter (mostly Jeff Moss of the detroitsportsrag) say that a lot of the offseason moves have Chris Ilitch's fingerprints all over them because he's in charge now that Mike is sick, and he says its been the same for the Wings. Its looking more and more like DD is getting orders from Chris to do some of this shit that he would likely normally not do. It would explain why he got so defensive over the shit Fister trade too.

Man the fans on all the radio show's today have sure turned on Max turning down the contract by the tigers...
Which is exactly the intent with that press release, I think. Might be another Chris Ilitch move. Have we ever seen DD pull a stunt like that by himself before?

Ive been seeing some people on twitter (mostly Jeff Moss of the detroitsportsrag) say that a lot of the offseason moves have Chris Ilitch's fingerprints all over them because he's in charge now that Mike is sick, and he says its been the same for the Wings. Its looking more and more like DD is getting orders from Chris to do some of this shit that he would likely normally not do. It would explain why he got so defensive over the shit Fister trade too.

Which is exactly the intent with that press release, I think. Might be another Chris Ilitch move. Have we ever seen DD pull a stunt like that by himself before?

I thought about this for awhile Joel, but didn't really want to believe it. Reading it now makes it look all the more like a reality.
Look at when Steinbrenner died and the two sons and all that talk getting under the 189M. If DD leaves in the next year or two and not for the commish job, well then it might be further evidence.

Last edited:
He'll be starting opening day 2015 for the Yankees. Lock it.

As much as I dislike him, have to respect a guy like Jered Weaver. He signed an extension with Boras as his agent after finishing 2nd in the CY voting and bing one of the top pitchers for a few years.

The contract he agreed to would be considered peanuts to what Scherzer wants, but Weaver basically skipped the FA payday to stay with his club. The most Weaver will ever make is $20MM a year the last year of his contract.

He is a So Cal guy too, playing for his hometown team has a lot to do with that.

Some team next year will be crazy enough to give him a bigger contract than the Tigers were offering no matter what he does this season. I`m not gonna hate on him either for doing it. This is the current age of sports, 90% of the athletes out there play for the contract and not the logo on thier jersey, I get that.

Personally I didn`t want to resign him in the first place, it will be the best thing for the Tigers to just let him walk next year. He is a contract year so you know he will be playing for that Kershaw deal, so you can expect a good season. He walks after the year, Tigers tender him and pick up a first. Then with the money earmarked for Max they can go out and pay Shields or Masterson and still have money left to add a legit setup man.

He is a So Cal guy too, playing for his hometown team has a lot to do with that.

Either way, he could have made a lot more in free agency, and people questioned him on it. His answer was refreshing, he basically said he has all the money he will ever need to take care of his family forever.

He's a royal prick, but at least he's not a greedy bastard.

Either way, he could have made a lot more in free agency, and people questioned him on it. His answer was refreshing, he basically said he has all the money he will ever need to take care of his family forever.

He's a royal prick, but at least he's not a greedy bastard.

True, I was surprised when he signed that deal. Not something you see everyday in baseball anymore

Scherzer said he and Dave Dombrowski met earlier this week to clear things up after #Tigers statement on negotiations Sunday.

Scherzer: "I talked to Dave . . . about how things were handled. He said he kind of regretted how it went down."
Scherzer: "We talked about how things were handled. He said he regretted how some things went down."
add Scherzer: "He told me he wanted to convey to fans that he was doing his job. He could see how some things put me in a negative context."
Scherzer: "He said he wanted to make sure he conveyed to fans he was doing his job, could see how some things put me in a negative context."

Last edited:
that's flippin hilarious. bottom line is max didn't get what you wanted. boris is just doing his job. it's a game that both sides know how to play.

Too late to trade him now that we've traded Fister. We have noone else to step up in the rotation right now.

At this point, we just wait till the season ends and he rejects a qualifying offer so we at least get a pick for him.

We need that pick to help rebuild the farm system. I am perfectly fine with this move

We need that pick to help rebuild the farm system. I am perfectly fine with this move

We might not get a pick. We have to make a Qualifying Offer and someone has to sign him before 2015 draft. Then the first 10 picks are protected, meaning it would be after the first 30.

Top picks take 3-5 years to become regulars. Meaning we lose out for 2015, but might get a replacement player by 2018-2020.

We cannot keep losing players and then wait 3-5 years for someone to "might" turn out.

It's not like many of our recent picks have helped much. Would have been much better to trade him for something of known value then to let him walk on a QO and take a gamble on a draft pick.

It's not like many of our recent picks have helped much. Would have been much better to trade him for something of known value then to let him walk on a QO and take a gamble on a draft pick.

It would have been absolutely, but its far past the time we can trade him (unless we're way out of contention at the break or something.) Better to extend the QO we know he wont take and get the draft pick, because even if the team that picks him up has a protected one, we'd get a comp pick instead. Better than nothing. And if Boras has an aneurysm or something and he accepts the QO, all the better for next year haha.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2021/09/14/watercooler-wednesday-5/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Today, another chance for readers to have increased opportunities to discuss the hottest topics in a forum where thoughtful conversations and a variety of opinions are welcomed.

Let?s create some running conversation threads with not just comments but replies to others. And for those of you still going into offices, we?re giving you questions to take with you ? or use via Zoom calls ? as you talk to your co-workers.

So here?s the deal. Each week, we offer 2 questions for readers to consider. Select only one (and make sure to list either #1 or #2 in your intro) and get the ball rolling by submitting your comment. Or, respond to a thread that is already established. For this blog only, a maximum of 8 sentences please.

Let?s kick this off!

Back