Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Score one for the good guys

If you're lucky the sexual misconduct is hetero. Other than that this is spot on.

It's a sad thing that Catholic priests don't commit sexual misconduct with minors at a much lower rate than the general population, but I hope you're aware that they aren't committing misconduct at a higher rate.

Depends. Who's the someone, why are they leaving, and where are they going?

Funny you didn't qualify options when it came to the "good guys". Such as where are they coming from, why are they coming to the Catholic Church, and who are they.

Funny you didn't qualify options when it came to the "good guys". Such as where are they coming from, why are they coming to the Catholic Church, and who are they.

What do you mean? I gave a specific case of one person. People come and go all the time and I don't make posts, there are obviously qualifiers, otherwise, why would I give this one special treatment?

Last edited:
...a "joke" that's been told countless times already on a topic that's tragic and shouldn't be joked about. You must have a low opinion of Carson.

It shouldn't be joked about at all, because it's not funny.

Less funny is trying to sweep it under the rug.

What do you mean? I gave a specific case of one person.

I'm talking in terms of how it was put, that when someone joins the Catholic church is score one for the "good guys", and then they leave it's not always score one for the bad guys because it depends.

I'm asking if their was a status quo.

It's a sad thing that Catholic priests don't commit sexual misconduct with minors at a much lower rate than the general population, but I hope you're aware that they aren't committing misconduct at a higher rate.

I was referring to the individual(s) described in Michchamp's post, not Catholic priests in that specific comment. But I can see where you might have got that impression.

I'm talking in terms of how it was put, that when someone joins the Catholic church is score one for the "good guys", and then they leave it's not always score one for the bad guys because it depends.

I'm asking if their was a status quo.

If Glen Beck joins, score one for the bad guys.

It shouldn't be joked about at all, because it's not funny.

Less funny is trying to sweep it under the rug.

The act isn't funny, but what is the appropriate reaction to the hypocrisy?

I was referring to the individual(s) described in Michchamp's post, not Catholic priests in that specific comment. But I can see where you might have got that impression.

I was thinking of mentioning it after the Carson bit. I do think people in general now think Catholic priests are more likely. It's just that it's not true and we generally don't realize how much of it is actually going on. Also, most of it happens within extended families and acquaintances rather than organizations.

I was thinking of mentioning it after the Carson bit. I do think people in general now think Catholic priests are more likely. It's just that it's not true and we generally don't realize how much of it is actually going on. Also, most of it happens within extended families and acquaintances rather than organizations.

Although true, as Thumb pointed out, when it happens in the cases of extended families and acquaintances it is less likely to be involved in a systematic and well organized cover-up.

Although true, as Thumb pointed out, when it happens in the cases of extended families and acquaintances it is less likely to be involved in a systematic and well organized cover-up.

That was the point I was trying to make. Most of the time, the opportunity doesn't exists and no organization is involved.

score one for people who like making threads that muddle through vague reasoning to come to absurd conclusions.

Any opportunity for organizational cover-up is an equal opportunity for organizational exposure and prevention, and should be a more than equal opportunity for an organization that considers itself to uphold moral obligations.

Basically what I am saying is that if these heinous acts are committed at an equal rate, you would expect that they would be reported and brought to justice by the Catholic Church at a much higher rate. Sadly this has not been the case in the past.

Any opportunity for organizational cover-up is an equal opportunity for organizational exposure and prevention, and should be a more than equal opportunity for an organization that considers itself to uphold moral obligations.

You would think. But if 1 in 6 boys and 1 in 3 girls are victims, where are all the whistleblowers?

Basically what I am saying is that if these heinous acts are committed at an equal rate, you would expect that they would be reported and brought to justice by the Catholic Church at a much higher rate. Sadly this has not been the case in the past.

I don't think that stat is known.

I don't think that stat is known.

No I don't think it is. But the fact that we are even having this conversation just goes to prove why I can't see the Catholic Church as the 'good guys' any more than I can see the Penn State athletic department as the 'good guys'. Personally I see anyone leaving the Catholic Church as a score for the 'good guys'. Are their any stats on whose team is winning?

No I don't think it is. But the fact that we are even having this conversation just goes to prove why I can't see the Catholic Church as the 'good guys' any more than I can see the Penn State athletic department as the 'good guys'. Personally I see anyone leaving the Catholic Church as a score for the 'good guys'. Are their any stats on whose team is winning?

When people I approve of join my teams or gain more influence within them, that's good. When bad people get the boot, that's good. I think the good guys are winning overall because the world is getting better.

Penn State, being an academic institution, is good (but not as good as Michigan.) Athletic departments are in the grey region these days. I don't know how many people are involved with Penn State's athletic department, but I think it's safe to say that that if you call them the bad guys, for every actual bad guy, you're throwing at least dozens of unaware nonparticipants under the bus. Penn State needs to make sure that it's purged itself of the bad guys, and organizations everywhere need to get the message and follow suit.

What do you think of nations? Are any nations good guys in your book?

Last edited:
score one for people who like making threads that muddle through vague reasoning to come to absurd conclusions.

You'll have to be more specific. What absurd conclusion was come to through vague reasoning?

Back