Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Smith facing Gun charges

biggunsbob

Mazi Smith is facing felony gun charges from October 14th.
I cannot link any articles I do no pay for Detroit News or Free press

Radio is having a field day blasting Michigan

Yeah, before I even learned what the charges were, I learned we're the biggest hypocrites on the planet, our program is as dirty as any other, and there's no moral (or legal) distinction between bashing a defenseless guy's head with a football helmet, and getting pulled over for a traffic violation in your car and having a gun.

That being said, it doesn't look great, and I am curious why we didn't do anything when Smith was first cited (or was he arrested?)

Harbaugh and Manuel just released a statement. I'm out cam someone find it.

Last edited:
I don't know how you can face felony weapons charges by just having a gun, unless it was not registered or used in the commission of a crime. Even if you don't have a concealed carry permit, you still can't get charged with a felony if the gun is registered.

I don't know how you can face felony weapons charges by just having a gun, unless it was not registered or used in the commission of a crime. Even if you don't have a concealed carry permit, you still can't get charged with a felony if the gun is registered.

According to this article, you can; it cites the Michigan Penal Code (without taking 2 seconds to note the code section... :hmm:) (I bolded the applicable parts here, as I understand it):
(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.
I've seen some speculation he had a license and it lapsed, or didn't have his license with him, or something. Will wait and see... the press release implies they feel it's no big deal, and he's a good guy.

I heard it wasn't his gun. It was registered to somebody named Jeff Jackson

Given our love of guns, and shooting and killing people all the time for even the most minor perceived slights, even yours truly admits it is a little crazy to think you could be charged with a felony for just having a pistol in the car.

Does the NRA know this? Tell their lobbyists to get in Michigan legislators' ears.

Given our love of guns, and shooting and killing people all the time for even the most minor perceived slights, even yours truly admits it is a little crazy to think you could be charged with a felony for just having a pistol in the car.

Does the NRA know this? Tell their lobbyists to get in Michigan legislators' ears.

You can't truly be that dumb

You can't truly be that dumb

Make my day, bozo.

mafia-man-pointing-gun-at-camera-picture-id518657518

According to this article, you can; it cites the Michigan Penal Code (without taking 2 seconds to note the code section... :hmm:) (I bolded the applicable parts here, as I understand it):
(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.
I've seen some speculation he had a license and it lapsed, or didn't have his license with him, or something. Will wait and see... the press release implies they feel it's no big deal, and he's a good guy.

article in the free press that said he didn't have a license but had applied for one prior to the incident. He'll probably just get a slap on the wrist.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...arge-washtenaw-county-prosecutor/69692841007/

I came here just to see how gay gotime?s reply would be.

As usual, it?s Liberace on steroids! Get a life, man. Were it just a $50 MIP, hahahahaha ?go back to Mel?s closet, heard he?s comin.

Last edited:
I should've used that defense when I got a minor in possession ticket. "Well I was in the process of turning 21"

that's pretty funny.

The slap on the wrist will likely be a fine of some sort. With a good lawyer he will almost certainly not get a felony on his record.

That said, I really think almost all of these situations with athletes get blown out of proportion by opposing fans.

I heard he was arrested for Speeding (not on Radar) he told the Officers that he had a gun and was in the process of getting his concealed weapons permit and showed them the people work and wasn?t arrested and let go. Not sure if it is true but the guy trusted his source.
This was in the GR radio.

Not sure why he was arrested and charged 7-8 weeks later. Again just another story that was out there.
Probably because he wasn?t arrested at the time.
Again why wasn?t he arrested on the spot ?

Valenti and Rico are having a field day.

Last edited:
I heard he was arrested for Speeding (not on Radar) he told the Officers that he had a gun and was in the process of getting his concealed weapons permit and showed them the people work and wasn?t arrested and let go. Not sure if it is true but the guy trusted his source.
This was in the GR radio.

Not sure why he was arrested and charged 7-8 weeks later. Again just another story that was out there.
Probably because he wasn?t arrested at the time.

Valenti and Rico are having a field day.

he was charged because having pistol in your car without a CC is a felony. He probably wasn't charged right away because he showed them the paperwork that he had applied for the CC permit.

Like I said, he will likely get a slap on the wrist (a fine) and that's it.

This whole thing now seems like it was timed solely to drive MSU fans nuts. which it has, judging from the number of angry texts I received from MSU fans I know.

This whole thing now seems like it was timed solely to drive MSU fans nuts. which it has, judging from the number of angry texts I received from MSU fans I know.

Are there any other kind?

Back