Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Smith facing Gun charges

So MC, you?re in Texas - if Maxi is White and on the roster in Austin, is this newsworthy/illegal/reported/even exist? Follow up, what percentage of players and staff at UT or say, TT, own guns?

Now they are saying the Ann Arbor police did arrest him Contradicting the Prosecuting office. He was booked Charged and released.

According to this article, you can; it cites the Michigan Penal Code (without taking 2 seconds to note the code section... :hmm:) (I bolded the applicable parts here, as I understand it):
(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.
I've seen some speculation he had a license and it lapsed, or didn't have his license with him, or something. Will wait and see... the press release implies they feel it's no big deal, and he's a good guy.

I don't get it. If he buys the gun(at the store), it's a registered firearm. You gotta do the paperwork right there where you bought it. If he didn't have the CC paperwork, while concealed in the car, that should be a misdemeanor at the most. A felony is outlandish.

I don't get it. If he buys the gun(at the store), it's a registered firearm. You gotta do the paperwork right there where you bought it. If he didn't have the CC paperwork, while concealed in the car, that should be a misdemeanor at the most. A felony is outlandish.

It's ridiculous that states still require a permit to carry. This is a perfect example of how those laws punish the people who are trying to follow the rules and do nothing to prevent criminals from doing bad things. It's going to cost Mazi for the rest of his life when he did nothing wrong and harmed no one.

According to this article, you can; it cites the Michigan Penal Code (without taking 2 seconds to note the code section... :hmm:) (I bolded the applicable parts here, as I understand it):
(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.
I've seen some speculation he had a license and it lapsed, or didn't have his license with him, or something. Will wait and see... the press release implies they feel it's no big deal, and he's a good guy.

I guess there'e only too many illegal guns on the street and no one should be able to carry a gun anywhere in America when they're not in the possession of uofm gangster athletes...

The only thing that surprises me about this incident is we're hearing about it when the guy still has some eligibility left. Is the University and/or Jim losing their grip on the local cops?

So MC, you?re in Texas - if Maxi is White and on the roster in Austin, is this newsworthy/illegal/reported/even exist? Follow up, what percentage of players and staff at UT or say, TT, own guns?

Arresting a guy for illegally carrying a gun is racist! Interesting take from the guy that was just hurling these homophobic slurs...

I came here just to see how gay gotime?s reply would be.

As usual, it?s Liberace on steroids! Get a life, man. Were it just a $50 MIP, hahahahaha ?go back to Mel?s closet, heard he?s comin.

I thought this was America?! Everyone should have a gun. Permit schmermit! We should not rest until everyone is armed to the teeth. Babies with assault rifles and .44 hand cannons! Toddlers with sniper rifles! Blind people with pump action shotguns! 'Merica!!!

So now he's a gangster for having a legally purchased firearm in his console a week too early. He's clearly as bad as Aaron Hernandez, especially when his "offense" was so bad that the cops didn't even see fit to arrest him on the spot.

So now he's a gangster for having a legally purchased firearm in his console a week too early. He's clearly as bad as Aaron Hernandez, especially when his "offense" was so bad that the cops didn't even see fit to arrest him on the spot.

The cops can do a serial check on the spot. I'm assuming they did and is why he wasn't arrested.

He was arrested on the spot

I don?t know.

Yahoo sports is reporting on its app that he was not arrested, but at the same time, it?s linking to an article from M live that says that he was arrested.

With your confidence you must?ve been there and seen it with your own eyes. Please give us some details.

EDIT: We know about the charges because they are part of the public record. Do you know what else are part of the public record? Arrests. If Mozi had a really been arrested, I think we would?ve known about it at the time.

Last edited:
I don?t know.

Yahoo sports is reporting on its app that he was not arrested, but at the same time, it?s linking to an article from M live that says that he was arrested.

With your confidence you must?ve been there and seen it with your own eyes. Please give us some details.

EDIT: We know about the charges because they are part of the public record. Do you know what else are part of the public record? Arrests. If Mozi had a really been arrested, I think we would?ve known about it at the time.

https://twitter.com/reporterdavidj/status/1598416618945937409?t=nzJ4VJexIo4m2-UMQ6jyoA&s=19

Okay.

There are contradictory stories.

Apparently, the guy, Eli Savit, whoever that is, if you read the comments following the tweet, has reported that Smith was arrested but also has reported Smith wasn?t arrested.

Also, I?m going to clue you in to something that almost nobody knows yet, but is soon going to come to learn:

As a legitimate news source, Twitter is a piece of shit.

A time will come soon that, if you are trying to substantiate a claim, and you source Twitter, people will laugh at you like you are a clown.

EDIT: Whoever on twitter, posting AFTER the report of charges having been brought that were widely reported on legitimate media Dec. 1, claims that an arrest had been made back on October 7th which would have been in the public record that ZERO legitimate media picked up on - ZERO - and you source a tweet? As legitimate? Really? Freakin? Twitter?

Maybe you should fact check that claim. Maybe you should check out info wars has to say.

Last edited:
Okay.

There are contradictory stories.

Apparently, the guy, Eli Savit, whoever that is, if you read the comments following the tweet, has reported that Smith was arrested but also has reported Smith wasn?t arrested.

Also, I?m going to clue you in to something that almost nobody knows yet, but is soon going to come to learn:

As a legitimate news source, Twitter is a piece of shit.

A time will come soon that, if you are trying to substantiate a claim, and you source Twitter, people will laugh at you like you are a clown.

EDIT: Whoever on twitter, posting AFTER the report of charges having been brought that were widely reported on legitimate media Dec. 1, claims that an arrest had been made back on October 7th which would have been in the public record that ZERO legitimate media picked up on - ZERO - and you source a tweet? As legitimate? Really? Freakin? Twitter?

Maybe you should fact check that claim. Maybe you should check out info wars has to say.

That's a tweet from the free press writer covering the story of a release directly from the Ann arbor pd. They released the statement because the county prosecutor(UM fanboy Eli Savit) lied about the arrest. Since then he's admitted Smith was arrested.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...d-traffic-stop-felony-gun-charge/69693637007/

Last edited:
That's a tweet from the free press writer covering the story of a release directly from the Ann arbor pd. They released the statement because the county prosecutor(UM fanboy Eli Savit) lied about the arrest. Since then he's admitted Smith was arrested.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...d-traffic-stop-felony-gun-charge/69693637007/

Sounds like nonsense. When a person is arrested they?re charged with something - ?so and so, you?re under arrest for such and such? - the arrest and charge become public record. There?s a mug shot ar the time and a whole lot of fun things.

Probably the Spartan thugs from the tunnel event who weren?t arrested at the scene of the crime have been brought in for processing since being charged and there have been a whole lot of fun mug shots taken of them.

A whole lot of contradictions from a whole lot of places and you have zero idea about how any of this actually works, or close enough to zero that I?m done wasting time with you.

"Michigan football player Mazi Smith was arraigned on a felony gun charge in Washtenaw County court on Thursday, but the school has decided not to suspend the star defensive lineman and he is scheduled to play in Saturday's Big Ten championship game."

The Freep's lede is a shrouded OpEd. Not surprising. Was the gun loaded? Was there ammo in the vehicle?

"Michigan football player Mazi Smith was arraigned on a felony gun charge in Washtenaw County court on Thursday, but the school has decided not to suspend the star defensive lineman and he is scheduled to play in Saturday's Big Ten championship game."

The Freep's lede is a shrouded OpEd. Not surprising. Was the gun loaded? Was there ammo in the vehicle?

From the various reports, Manuel and Harbaugh report that Mozi has been straightforward and transparent about this with them since the event occurred. This isn?t out of left field for them.

Maybe this Eli Savit is succumbing to pressure to appear even handed after handing down the righteous and justified - albeit not strong enough - charges against the Spartan thugs from the tunnel incident, I don?t know.

Is Freep supposed to be pro-Spartan or anti-UM?

Except for this board, I pay zero attention to it.

Anyways, I just called the Ann Arbor police department and asked whoever answered the phone ?there are a lot of conflicting reports in the media, so simply, was Mozi Smith actually arrested on October 7 or was he not??

The answer was ?unfortunately, since it?s an ongoing investigation, I cannot comment.?

So that?s where we stand. The Ann Arbor police would neither confirm to me nor deny to me that Mozi Smith was or was not actually arrested on
October 7.

Last edited:
From the various reports, Manuel and Harbaugh report that Mozi has been straightforward and transparent about this with them since the event occurred. This isn?t out of left field for them.

Maybe this Eli Savit is succumbing to pressure to appear even handed after handing down the righteous and justified - albeit not strong enough - charges against the Spartan thugs from the tunnel incident, I don?t know.

Is Freep supposed to be pro-Spartan or anti-UM?

Except for this board, I pay zero attention to it.

The Freep has been accused of both by the other's fans. I don't know, actually, just talking about this paragraph. The reporter of this article is he Freep's "Higher Education Reporter".

Back