Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Smith facing Gun charges

Sounds like nonsense. When a person is arrested they?re charged with something - ?so and so, you?re under arrest for such and such? - the arrest and charge become public record. There?s a mug shot ar the time and a whole lot of fun things.

Probably the Spartan thugs from the tunnel event who weren?t arrested at the scene of the crime have been brought in for processing since being charged and there have been a whole lot of fun mug shots taken of them.

A whole lot of contradictions from a whole lot of places and you have zero idea about how any of this actually works, or close enough to zero that I?m done wasting time with you.

yeah, lot's of contradictions and a decent amount of hypocrisy going on here. For example, Harbaugh pressing charges against MSU players for an incident that occurred in part due to uofm's lack of stadium management but lets a player continue to play after taking a felony charge. It took less than a month for County prosecutors to issue charges against 7 MSU players for a fight while it sat on Mazi Smith's gun charges for nearly seven weeks.

yeah, lot's of contradictions and a decent amount of hypocrisy going on here. For example, Harbaugh pressing charges against MSU players for an incident that occurred in part due to uofm's lack of stadium management but lets a player continue to play after taking a felony charge. It took less than a month for County prosecutors to issue charges against 7 MSU players for a fight while it sat on Mazi Smith's gun charges for nearly seven weeks.

There's no culpability on the part of UM in what took place in that tunnel. Zero. And until you morons start acknowledging that the toxic culture of your programs will never change. There's NOTHING to justify beating someone with a helmet, kicking someone on the ground with cleats or any of the other bullshit that your scumbag players did. And there's video to support that the attack was unprovoked, showing Green and McBurrows walking side by side talking to one another and not saying a word to any of your shitbag players.

There's not "ya but", there's not "What about". UM's players had every right to be there. The tunnel has been there for 100 years and it took 8 shitbags from MSU to make it an issue. All the other "Well OSU/PSU" etc bullshit was nothing more than shouting matches that take place on the field 100 times for every time it happens in a tunnel. Hell, Ronnie Bell and an OSU DB had a similar scuffle to what Woodson and Boston had and there was a near fight on the sideline. I guess that's all because there is only 1 tunnel in Michigan Stadium too?

In regards to how the two compare, they really don't. Mazi Smith was in possession of a legally purchased firearm and was ultimately determined to be allowed to have it. There was no victim to press charges because unlike your scumbag players Mazi didn't hurt anyone. Also, he wasn't allowed to keep playing "after taking a felony charge" because the charge wasn't filed until yesterday. They also very likely have an idea of what to expect the outcome of this entire charade based on inside info with the defense attorney that NOBODY outside of the defense and prosecution will be privy to until everything is settled.

Last edited:
yeah, lot's of contradictions and a decent amount of hypocrisy going on here. For example, Harbaugh pressing charges against MSU players for an incident that occurred in part due to uofm's lack of stadium management but lets a player continue to play after taking a felony charge.

Awwww... that's Valenti talkin'. And Harbaugh himself pressed charges? When? How?

It took less than a month for County prosecutors to issue charges against 7 MSU players for a fight while it sat on Mazi Smith's gun charges for nearly seven weeks.

Everyone saw the MSU players playing ping pong with the UM players. They committed actual physical harm, with malice. Smith had a firearm in the car and hurt no one.

Yeah, Harbaugh can?t press charges. He?s not the District Attorney.

On a little bit of a lighter note, and not to get very political, my lifelong friend Hugo Mack ran against Savit for DA in the last election. Savit is a big old lefty lib and Hugo is an even bigger lefty lib. Hugo, a black guy, signed the Ketubah at my wedding - that?s something I tend not to share with any white supremacists I might happen to encounter.

There's no culpability on the part of UM in what took place in that tunnel. Zero. And until you morons start acknowledging that the toxic culture of your programs will never change. There's NOTHING to justify beating someone with a helmet, kicking someone on the ground with cleats or any of the other bullshit that your scumbag players did. And there's video to support that the attack was unprovoked, showing Green and McBurrows walking side by side talking to one another and not saying a word to any of your shitbag players.

There's not "ya but", there's not "What about". UM's players had every right to be there. The tunnel has been there for 100 years and it took 8 shitbags from MSU to make it an issue. All the other "Well OSU/PSU" etc bullshit was nothing more than shouting matches that take place on the field 100 times for every time it happens in a tunnel. Hell, Ronnie Bell and an OSU DB had a similar scuffle to what Woodson and Boston had and there was a near fight on the sideline. I guess that's all because there is only 1 tunnel in Michigan Stadium too?

In regards to how the two compare, they really don't. Mazi Smith was in possession of a legally purchased firearm and was ultimately determined to be allowed to have it. There was no victim to press charges because unlike your scumbag players Mazi didn't hurt anyone. Also, he wasn't allowed to keep playing "after taking a felony charge" because the charge wasn't filed until yesterday. They also very likely have an idea of what to expect the outcome of this entire charade based on inside info with the defense attorney that NOBODY outside of the defense and prosecution will be privy to until everything is settled.

it doesn't take absolving uofm for their failure two weeks in a row to adequately manage their stadium to acknowledge what the MSU players did was wrong. They don't control their tunnels or their sidelines - just let their thugs do what they want and when people retaliate scream about their "culture" and lack of respect. But nobody is trying to justify beating someone with a helmet - nice straw man. To say uofm has no culpability in the incident is moronic.

We don't need lectures from blind uofm idiots about "culture" particularly when players at MSU were immediately suspended pending investigations then appropriately dealt with after those investigations. Whereas at uofm, the administration and coaches have either ignored or actively colluded to cover up payoffs, point shaving, rape and now felony gun charges - at least until those players leave or run out of eligibility.

If Mazi Smith was "ultimately determined to be allowed to have" the gun, why the felony charge? And he was arrested 7 weeks ago - for illegally possessing a firearm. The idea that he's fine to play until they ultimately charge him speaks loads about the culture at uofm.

Last edited:
Yeah, Harbaugh can?t press charges. He?s not the District Attorney.

On a little bit of a lighter note, and not to get very political, my lifelong friend Hugo Mack ran against Savit for DA in the last election. Savit is a big old lefty lib and Hugo is an even bigger lefty lib. Hugo, a black guy, signed the Ketubah at my wedding - that?s something I tend not to share with any white supremacists I might happen to encounter.

calling for pressing charges, sorry.

You've told me that story about Hugo before, but for some reason I thought he had passed. Maybe i'm confusing that with another story.

Edit: I think the first time you mentioned Hugo was in a story about when one of your parents (I think your mom) passed away.

Last edited:
calling for pressing charges, sorry.

You've told me that story about Hugo before, but for some reason I thought he had passed. Maybe i'm confusing that with another story.

Nice.

First time I?ve shared it with the board, though.

Then again, you tend to get first crack at the good stuff.

Nice.

First time I?ve shared it with the board, though.

Then again, you tend to get first crack at the good stuff.

I put ths in an edit above, but I think the 1st time you told me about him had to do with a story about your mom passing away. And obviously it wasn't "that" story about him running for office as this was way before the election. By "that" story, I meant that he was a lifelong friend who was really close with your family.

Last edited:

Also, I really only brought up the tunnel event to razz gotime909 because he decided to hop on here and have a little fun with the Mazi thing. Really, I never really cared that much.

I put ths in an edit above, but I think the 1st time you told me about him had to do with a story about your mom passing away. And obviously it wasn't "that" story about him running for office as this was way before the election. By "that" story, I meant that he was a lifelong friend who was really close with your family.

Okay.

He definitely came to my moms funeral. So probably it was a story about that.

Leave it to MSN (The Spun, an SI spinoff) to fling feces about the walls while wearing a Hazmat suit. Link

Then the article with the word "Crushed" in the headline, sites FOUR anonymous quotes from anonymous sources as its definition. And ... shows the video of his office tour. Journalism is Cancer.

Last edited:
Leave it to MSN (The Spun, an SI spinoff) to fling feces about the walls while wearing a Hazmat suit. Link

Then the article with the word "Crushed" in the headline, sites FOUR anonymous quotes from anonymous sources as its definition. And ... shows the video of his office tour. Journalism is Cancer.

Man, I gotta download another app to read it? I?m already texting while I?m driving in the rain.

Is the article saying that Harbaugh should discipline him now that he has been charged? Or is the article saying that Harbaugh should have disciplined him after the October 7 encounter with the police?

Man, I gotta download another app to read it? I?m already texting while I?m driving in the rain.

Is the article saying that Harbaugh should discipline him now that he has been charged? Or is the article saying that Harbaugh should have disciplined him after the October 7 encounter with the police?

The article is just saying that Harbaugh is taking heat for being a little hypocritical.

Immediate reaction to MSU tunnel incident: ?There needs to be accountability,? said Harbaugh. ?There needs to be a full, thorough, timely investigation. I can?t imagine that this will not result in criminal charges. The videos are bad and it?s clear what transpired. It seems very, very open and shut. You know, as they say, watch the tape.?

His reaction 8 weeks after his star DT gets arrested (or whatever) for felony gun possession. ?I have respect for our judicial process and with that respect brings confidence that a fair and just resolution is forthcoming,?

For me...he really didn't do anything wrong. In both cases he is sticking up for his players, which is what he is supposed to do.

Also, I really only brought up the tunnel event to razz gotime909 because he decided to hop on here and have a little fun with the Mazi thing. Really, I never really cared that much.

yeah, I don't care much about it either - I just like to throw a little gas on the fire that's raging in certain uofm fans' hair with a little targeted trolling here and there.

The article is just saying that Harbaugh is taking heat for being a little hypocritical.

Immediate reaction to MSU tunnel incident: ?There needs to be accountability,? said Harbaugh. ?There needs to be a full, thorough, timely investigation. I can?t imagine that this will not result in criminal charges. The videos are bad and it?s clear what transpired. It seems very, very open and shut. You know, as they say, watch the tape.?

His reaction 8 weeks after his star DT gets arrested (or whatever) for felony gun possession. ?I have respect for our judicial process and with that respect brings confidence that a fair and just resolution is forthcoming,?

For me...he really didn't do anything wrong. In both cases he is sticking up for his players, which is what he is supposed to do.

Nice.

I found the article on line. A few people on twitter expressing their opinions, fine of course.

Couple of difference - Mazi?s event did NOT have involve anything to do with actions as a football player.

On October 7, the legal outcome was undetermined. So for those who say ?Harbaugh knew for seven week? -Harbaugh knew what? Was he supposed to bring a punitive action for a crime that the guy had not yet been charged with?

Here?s the way I, the eternal Pollyanna, endlessly looking for the good in everyone, am beginning to see it - Eli Savit, 39 years old with some might view as impressive resume, just won his first election, which makes him - wait for it - a politician. Does he come down hard on the Spartans because it would be popular with his constituents In Washtenaw County? Color me cynical, but I wouldn?t be surprised.

Now, might he have political ambitions that extend beyond Washtenaw County? Hey - I just said, he?s a politician.

So might he seek statewide office? Perhaps MI AG? Why not?

Now, he?s gotta seem impartial and unbiased - already gotime909 is one Michigan voter who already sees Savit as a Michigan ?fanboy,? just like probably every Spartan fan voter in the state.

So what do you do?

You go after Mazi Smith.

Hard.

Probably in the end, I think every Spartan will be allowed to plead down to a slap on the wrist - I don?t see this much ?justice? being worth clogging up the court system. I didn?t hear that any attacked player - I?ve cared so little that I don?t know the name of a single Spartan nor Wolverine involved in the scuffle - was injured - everyone was literally wearing a suit of armor.

I expect the same also be the case for Mazi.

Some new details...

Smith was travelling at more than 2x the speed limit, pulled over for doing 52 in a 25mph zone.

Doesn't appear this is a case of "Officer: 'do you have any weapons in the car?' Smith: 'yes sir, I have a hand gun in the glove box.'"

Per the piece (pun intended) "As the officer approached the car, Smith moved to put his Glock 19 handgun behind his seat." Looks like the police found the pistol after watching him stash it behind him.

Also, the gun was loaded with a 24-round clip and Smith was found to have a 30-round magazine and a 15-round magazine in his pockets.

Warde Manuel on why Smith will not be suspended, "He is not and never has been considered a threat to the University or community. Based on the information communicated to us, we will continue to allow the judicial process to play out. Mazi will continue to participate as a member of the team.?

Last edited:
Some new details...

Smith was travelling at more than 2x the speed limit, pulled over for doing 52 in a 25mph zone.

Doesn't appear this is a case of "Officer: 'do you have any weapons in the car?' Smith: 'yes sir, I have a hand gun in the glove box.'"

Per the piece (pun intended) "As the officer approached the car, Smith moved to put his Glock 19 handgun behind his seat." Looks like the police found the pistol after watching him stash it behind him.

Also, the gun was loaded with a 24-round clip and Smith was found to have a 30-round magazine and a 15-round magazine in his pockets.

Warde Manuel on why Smith will not be suspended, "He is not and never has been considered a threat to the University or community. Based on the information communicated to us, we will continue to allow the judicial process to play out. Mazi will continue to participate as a member of the team.?

Whoa! We all thought we could get away with this, but had no idea Inspector Spartanmack was on the case...

Some new details...

Also, the gun was loaded with a 24-round clip and Smith was found to have 30-round magazine and a 15-round magazine in his pockets.

The Spun is named as such for a reason. Here's a more reasonable, accurate account of the account. Link

If you are going to rely on The Spun for spin, you'll get dizzy quickly.

The Spun is named as such for a reason. Here's a more reasonable, accurate account of the account. Link

If you are going to rely on The Spun for spin, you'll get dizzy quickly.

Is MLive a spin-free source? In reading the two, I don't see much difference in any material facts between them. The differences seem to be deflection at best by Smith's attorney. According to MLive his lawyer is disputing Smith's rate of speed but has no proof. Even if he's correct, 40 in a 25 is still pretty fast particularly at 9:30 in the morning. The only other dispute is whether the 24 round magazine was actually in the gun, which is conjecture and is a distinction without a difference. Again according to MLive, Smith's attorney says the police report clearly states the magazines were found separate but the AA police said the report doesn't clarify whether the gun was loaded or not. At a minimum, the magazine in question was found with the gun and he had 2 more on his person. My guess is it was in the gun, otherwise why not just keep it in his pocket like the other two loaded clips? But again, I don't think it matters, all that means is it would take a few seconds longer to shoot someone. The H.I. McDonnough defense is not based in actual law.

The MLive piece is identical in every major respect including the fact that Smith attempted to stash the weapon behind his seat.

Back