Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Smith facing Gun charges

Court postponed Smith's sentencing until after the CFB playoffs. They probably assumed (correctly) that furloughing him for the game(s) would look bad.

Court postponed Smith's sentencing until after the CFB playoffs. They probably assumed (correctly) that furloughing him for the game(s) would look bad.

Agree 100%. That's the only reasonable explanation.

Hey How's MSU's bowl prep going?

Agree 100%. That's the only reasonable explanation.

Hey How's MSU's bowl prep going?

I?m pretty sure those eight guys suspended for the tunnel incident aren?t participating in the bowl prep nor will be eligible to play in the game.

I?ve been so elated by Michigan?s second conference championship season in a row that I haven?t payed attention to what bowl the Spartans are playing in, when it is, or whom they are going to be playing.

Or it just pushed back a misdemeanor sentencing to make room for more serious cases. Like, for example, when eight football players gang up on one for no justifiable reason.

I?m pretty sure those eight guys suspended for the tunnel incident aren?t participating in the bowl prep nor will be eligible to play in the game.

I?ve been so elated by Michigan?s second conference championship season in a row that I haven?t payed attention to what bowl the Spartans are playing in, when it is, or whom they are going to be playing.

All the Spartan football players are thrilled to be participating in the Wayfair Dorm Furniture Couch Potato Bowl. It's an odd game, in that it lasts from today through January 9. The eight suspended players are not allowed to partake in the game, but they can prepare and serve snacks. The menu is well planned, ranging from Foot-Stomped Nachos to Chicken Parm, pounded flat with a Spartan football helmet.

Last edited:
Or it just pushed back a misdemeanor sentencing to make room for more serious cases. Like, for example, when eight football players gang up on one for no justifiable reason.

From the article I posted in #94, the details of what the sentence will be were worked out in the plea deal on Dec. 8.

Maybe the judge moved the date of the formality from Dec. 29 because he?s going to be golfing in Florida, I don?t know.

Maybe, but those 8 players were all immediately suspended and still are pending the outcome of their cases. Not so with uofm criminal athletes - they usually don?t get their just punishments until they leave or their eligibility runs out - because of the culture?

Last edited:
Maybe, but those 8 players were all immediately suspended and still are pending the outcome of their cases. Not so with uofm criminal athletes - they usually don?t get their just punishments until they leave or their eligibility runs out - because of the culture?

I don't think there's grounds for suspension here no matter what ball player from what university would have complied in the same way that Smith did.

I don't think there's grounds for suspension here no matter what ball player from what university would have complied in the same way that Smith did.

I don't think most uofm board DSF posters would see it that way if the crime were committed by a student athlete from any other school, particularly osu or MSU.

To them, this and the shady way it was handled is just another instance to downplay and/or ignore as they hypocritically spout off about how these things don't happen at uofm because of the culture, higher standards and all that other bs.

The fact of the matter is uofm has some of the biggest black eyes of any program in the B1G, if not the country and all the people bagging on other programs, even those programs and schools that clearly handle unsavory instances transparently and properly unlike uofm, are just a bunch of hypocrites.

MSU fans (both here and every other place I encounter them on the interwebs) seem to be really struggling with the concept of "criminal intent" and how not all "crimes" are the same.

The fact of the matter is uofm has some of the biggest black eyes of any program in the B1G...

Well now, since you're equating a what was essentially a paperwork error with gang-beating a defenseless person & bashing their head in with a football helmet, I don't think you have the... depth to be a moral judge of football programs.

Well now, since you're equating a what was essentially a paperwork error with gang-beating a defenseless person & bashing their head in with a football helmet,

both of these comments are pretty funny exaggerations.

It wasn't a paperwork error.

The gang didn't bash his head in. He suited up the next week. If that fight was on the other side of the entrance of the tunnel there would be no charges and maybe one suspension (the guy that swung the helmet).

An attorney for one of the MSU players says there are witnesses that stated that a UM player was the first to start the altercation and he actually swung his helmet first (I find this hard to believe though)

All that said...I don't think either situation was really a big deal. Suspend the kids on MSU and Smith doesn't deserve much other than a slap on the wrist (a fine)

MSU fans (both here and every other place I encounter them on the interwebs) seem to be really struggling with the concept of "criminal intent" and how not all "crimes" are the same.

Well now, since you're equating a what was essentially a paperwork error with gang-beating a defenseless person & bashing their head in with a football helmet, I don't think you have the... depth to be a moral judge of football programs.

Carrying concealed without a permit isn?t a paperwork error and I?ve never equated it with any other crimes. I haven?t said a word about the tunnel incident - good strawman but it doesn?t diminish the severity of the black eyes I was referring to, like uofm having the single worst basketball scandal including UNC?s fake university or the cover up of the rape of a co-Ed by the kicker and another player intimidating her into silence - until both kids were done playing at uofm. However, you trying to downplay these scandals and the utterly shameful way the school and athletic programs handled them does disqualify you from making moral judgements about anything.

Last edited:
The fact of the matter is uofm has some of the biggest black eyes of any program in the B1G, if not the country and all the people bagging on other programs, even those programs and schools that clearly handle unsavory instances transparently and properly unlike uofm, are just a bunch of hypocrites.

There is no way you actually mean that. It's not even close if you consider the entire athletic departments and not just the football team. Even then, it's not really that close.

UM has a lot of dumb stuff that their student athletes do, but practically every university is the same way. FWIW, I think the MSU players will get off or receive nothing more than what the team has already handed them.

There is no way you actually mean that. It's not even close if you consider the entire athletic departments and not just the football team. Even then, it's not really that close.

UM has a lot of dumb stuff that their student athletes do, but practically every university is the same way. FWIW, I think the MSU players will get off or receive nothing more than what the team has already handed them.

I mean every word of it. Not every university had players on the payroll of bookie and were most likely shaving points for him. That's at least as bad as UNC's fake university and is easily one of the biggest black eyes in my lifetime if not longer. Not every university covered up a rape by their kicker and were silent when the victim was threatened by another player finally taking the bold step of disciplining them after they ran out of eligibility.

I mean every word of it. Not every university had players on the payroll of bookie and were most likely shaving points for him. That's at least as bad as UNC's fake university and is easily one of the biggest black eyes in my lifetime if not longer. Not every university covered up a rape by their kicker and were silent when the victim was threatened by another player finally taking the bold step of disciplining them after they ran out of eligibility.

You have lost your mind. I am not even gonna waste my time going any further than Larry Nasser, but there are several other.

UM has it's own issues, but their are tons of Universities that have their own separate issues. To say UM is at the top is outrageous. College students should have been compensated for their efforts years ago. They may have decided to go their own way to receive those compensations, and it may be ill advised. However there is no way UM is a University that is a top of anyones list for actual scandels.

The Smith issues is actually very minor in the grand scheme of things. I actually think he should be charged, but his life should be ruined because people want to hold him to a much higher standard than the average Joe.

You have lost your mind. I am not even gonna waste my time going any further than Larry Nasser, but there are several other.

UM has it's own issues, but their are tons of Universities that have their own separate issues. To say UM is at the top is outrageous. College students should have been compensated for their efforts years ago. They may have decided to go their own way to receive those compensations, and it may be ill advised. However there is no way UM is a University that is a top of anyones list for actual scandels.

The Smith issues is actually very minor in the grand scheme of things. I actually think he should be charged, but his life should be ruined because people want to hold him to a much higher standard than the average Joe.

I didn't say they were at the top overall. I said they have some scandals that are right up there with the worst of them and the way they handled them is shameful. You're out of your mind if you think otherwise. The Fab 5 was easily one of, if not the worst scandal in college basketball - certainly in my lifetime.

The Smith thing is pretty minor and I don't think his life should be ruined. But there's no denying it was handled poorly and Harbaugh and a lot of fans are complete hypocrites. The school and the fans who pretend uofm is different because their "culture" are full of it, plain and simple.

Last edited:
I don't think most uofm board DSF posters would see it that way if the crime were committed by a student athlete from any other school, particularly osu or MSU.
So there's the converse to consider, then. Which has an effect is cancelling out the entire incident.

To them, this and the shady way it was handled is just another instance to downplay and/or ignore as they hypocritically spout off about how these things don't happen at uofm because of the culture, higher standards and all that other bs.
You're JH: How do you handle this situation? And which posters are you accusing of this hypothetical response?

Your innate bias is "shading" your conjecture. Somewhat ironic.

Last edited:
So there's the converse to consider, then. Which has an effect is cancelling out the entire incident.

they do it too, so it didn't happen?

You're JH: How do you handle this situation? And which posters are you accusing of this hypothetical response?

Consistently. I don't call for immediate action for incidents like the tunnel, then make excuses for delaying action pending an investigation when my star player breaks the law.

I'm calling out all the hypocrites that make excuses for the double standard all while claiming uofm has some culture that sets it apart from every other program, when clearly they do not. Especially those who go on the politics board whining about how nobody should own a gun, especially semi-automatic pistols with high capacity magazines. Then the moment a guy who can tackle people well gets caught with an illegally possessed firearm and enough ammo to kill dozens of people in less than two minutes and suddenly, it's a paperwork error - no big deal.

Your innate bias is "shading" your conjecture. Somewhat ironic.

So the consistency and hypocrisy isn't due to innate bias that's "shading" conjecture. That's coming from the people who call it out - they're the ones suffering from bias?

Last edited:
Back