Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Smith facing Gun charges

You need to me more vigilant, IMO. At least have a plan for that situation. And walk serpentine.

Even though I own a gun, the tomahawk is my primary weapon of choice. No ammo... no bullets jamming when you need it...

I fight like the Potowatami that once inhabited the lands I came from.

The Great Spirit guides my blade.

so far I've only had to kill a rat, and only when traps weren't working on it. but... blood is blood & my tomahawk has drawn it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I own a gun, the tomahawk is my primary weapon of choice. No ammo... no bullets jamming when you need it...

I fight like the Potowatami that once inhabited the lands I came from.

The Great Spirit guides my blade.

so far I've only had to kill a rat, and only when traps weren't working on it. but... blood is blood & my tomahawk has drawn it.

Well, I have the bat I hit an even .400 in American Legion baseball when I was 16. For starters.

Last edited:
Well, I have the bat I hit an even .400 in American Legion baseball when I was 16. For starters.

sounds like that should be your weapon of choice, Kemosabe.

Keep your 30 round clip pistol as a backup.

Including the quote about the gun being loaded, which Mlive has retracted. Spun hasn't yet. Other third-party sources have.

It's not clear that it's false, inconclusive at best. I hardly consider it a material fact when the guy had 69 rounds in 3 clips that can easily be loaded into the gun.

When you pull the trigger of an unloaded gun, what happens?

Nothing, but I doubt he'd pull the trigger without first spending the 2 seconds to put in a clip and chamber a round which he could easily do with 3 clips on him so again, a distinction without a difference. And who is to say Smith didn't remove the clip after getting pulled over before he stashed the weapon under his seat? Again, the H.I. McDonnaugh defense doesn't work - if someone uses a gun in the commission of a crime, whether or not it's loaded doesn't matter.

Smith "moved to put the gun behind the front seat" and "in the back seat", to quote the Mlive article. No mention of under the seat, or "stashing". No real confirmation if he ever completed his action. The story in no way indicates where the officer found the gun, except for in the car.

Sure, all of that is possible but none of it makes any sense. Why would he "move to put the gun (and loaded clip) behind the front seat" but in plain sight? Probably for the officer's safety, I suppose. And the way the article is written, it sounds like the cops found the gun, it doesn't say they saw it laying on the floor or back seat, which implies it wasn't in plain sight.

Last edited:
so you don't think you could fend off a home invader on your first 10 shots? You need to hit the gun range ;)

I've seen videos of cops emptying clips into suspects at close range and not dropping them. In a life or death scenario, I'd want to have every advantage - although, I don't and never have actually owned a gun. I have a couple cameras, an old school police night stick and wooden baseball bat for home security.

Last edited:
I've seen videos of cops emptying clips into suspects at close range and not dropping them. In a life or death scenario, I'd want to have every advantage - ....

if youre concerned about being attacked by someone raging on PCP or Meth like that, (I can't imagine why, since you live in surburban NJ, far away from tweakers and any sort of violent crime) a simple solution is to use a shotgun, instead of a pistol. with a shotgun, you also don't need hours at the gun range

increasing clip (actually magazine...) capacity to some insane number is bad. And the high-capacity mags have made mass shootings more deadly...

if youre concerned about being attacked by someone raging on PCP or Meth like that, (I can't imagine why, since you live in surburban NJ, far away from tweakers and any sort of violent crime) a simple solution is to use a shotgun, instead of a pistol. with a shotgun, you also don't need hours at the gun range

increasing clip (actually magazine...) capacity to some insane number is bad. And the high-capacity mags have made mass shootings more deadly...

Personally, I think the risk is much greater away from the home than in it so a shotgun wouldn't be very convenient. But I'm not really concerned which is partly why I don't own any guns - handguns, shotguns or rifles.

Crime is everywhere on some level though - a couple years ago, at an upscale mall near us, a guy was murdered in front of his wife and 2 yr old son in the parking structure for his Range Rover. There have been reports of other car jackings of high end cars there. It's in a very affluent suburb but it's near a highway where thieves can be in Newark in less than 10 minutes. Car theft in and around our area is up significantly the past couple years - mostly because people leave their key fobs in their cars. I don't shop in malls and my car is 15 years old (so far) and I don't leave the keys in it.

Last edited:
Personally, I think the risk is much greater away from the home than in it so a shotgun wouldn't be very convenient. But I'm not really concerned which is partly why I don't own any guns - handguns, shotguns or rifles.

Crime is everywhere on some level though - a couple years ago, at an upscale mall near us, a guy was murdered in front of his wife and 2 yr old son in the parking structure for his Range Rover. There have been reports of other car jackings of high end cars there. It's in a very affluent suburb but it's near a highway where thieves can be in Newark in less than 10 minutes. Car theft in and around our area is up significantly the past couple years - mostly because people leave their key fobs in their cars. I don't shop in malls and my car is 15 years old (so far) and I don't leave the keys in it.

maybe you should hire a bodyguard, or team of bodyguards licensed to carry machine guns to defend you from these superhuman car thieves that can't be taken down with regular pistol shots?

Man, I'm glad I don't live in NJ... place sounds like hell.

maybe you should hire a bodyguard, or team of bodyguards licensed to carry machine guns to defend you from these superhuman car thieves that can't be taken down with regular pistol shots?

Man, I'm glad I don't live in NJ... place sounds like hell.

Excellent strawman - I?ve already said twice that I don?t own a gun because I don?t think I need one. Definitely keep pretending I?m saying the opposite of what I?m actually saying and making up stuff about super human car thieves then try make fun of me for it - you?re making yourself look really smart - you can brag to your wife and kids about how you won the internet again today.

Last edited:
Why stop there? Ensure you never leave your sandbagged bunker with a single entrance that has a 0.50 cal Browning trained on it, with a minimum of 1,000 rounds belted and ready to feed into it AT ALL TIMES.

As you can see, I too like to spend time contemplating a scenario that has a 0.0000001% chance of happening to me.

Do you realize the cost of a 1000 rounds of 50 cal ammo!

so you don't think you could fend off a home invader on your first 10 shots? You need to hit the gun range ;)

Ok when was the last time you were put in a high stress situation and needed defend your life or the life of another?

As a general rule, when a LEO is involved in a shooting they hit their target approximately 18% of the time. So take that for what its worth, but in a rapidly evolving situation with extremely high stress and most likely low light. Id bet you'll need more than 10. Everyone on this board will need more than 10, most likely.

I knew I shouldn't have read this thread!

As for Smith, he's a dumbass. Ignorance of a law isn't an reasonable defense. Get a license and carry the gun legally. I personally think its a stupid law to have to have a permit to exercise a constitutional right. However, I have had to get a permit for 2 states. (Side Note: even if you live in a state that doesn't require a permit, or have a right to inform, please inform whatever LEO you are dealing with you are armed. We appreciate it and at least with me, it makes the whole situation go smoother. No you don't have to, its your right, blah blah blah. But I do appreciate it, usually enough to over look that speeding ticket)

Anyway, Felony charge seems stiff, Misdemeanor seems more appropriate. The capacity of the magazines shouldn't come into play, 10,20,30,500 who cares, that shouldn't make a difference. HOWEVER, the act of moving the firearm as the officer approached, indicates he most likely knew he was in the wrong. I have arrested several kids that would carry a gun before having a license, after they applied for but had received it. Smith knew, and made a dumb decision. Smack him on his wrist, make him pay a fine or do some sort of community service. It seems he would be in a position to really make a positive impact with community service. Then move on and stop being a dumbass.

Last edited:
sounds like that should be your weapon of choice, Kemosabe.

Keep your 30 round clip magazine as a backup.

Fixed.

I see you corrected the terminology in a later post, which was actually well thought out in regards to home defense.

Last edited:
Story.

So it?s as I predicted. I expect the Spartans will get about the same in the end because of a tunnel event.

What isn?t being reported in the story is that if there had been one single, more round of ammunition found ? even a Post-it note with the word ammunition written on it - the judge would?ve thrown the book at him.

Fixed.

I see you corrected the terminology in a later post, which was actually well thought out in regards to home defense.

goddamn right.

also, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the first person in the thread to call it a "clip."

I did. *lesson learned*

You haven't been around the internet enough to see the circle jerk gun nuts - like Lostleader heh! - have when they get to short-circuit a debate on guns by pointlessly correcting the terminology someone uses.

"clip" vs. "'magazine" is a fun one, since no one would he confused by the meaning if you used either one, but it's apparently a really important distinction that proves (for example) you aren't allowed to opine that there should be tougher background checks, or even functional background checks before buying a military-combat style rifle that would allow you to slaughter an entire kindergarten classroom without needing to reload.

so... I try to be careful and make sure I refer to things correcrly.

Another big thing: AR doesn't stand for "assault rifle" and if you think it does, you don't get to have an opinion on gun control. Sorry, Libtards.

You haven't been around the internet enough to see the circle jerk gun nuts - like Lostleader heh! - have when they get to short-circuit a debate on guns by pointlessly correcting the terminology someone uses.

"clip" vs. "'magazine" is a fun one, since no one would he confused by the meaning if you used either one, but it's apparently a really important distinction that proves (for example) you aren't allowed to opine that there should be tougher background checks, or even functional background checks before buying a military-combat style rifle that would allow you to slaughter an entire kindergarten classroom without needing to reload.

Another big thing: AR doesn't stand for "assault rifle" and if you think it does, you don't get to have an opinion on gun control. Sorry, Libtards.

you should try to be more careful and not misrepresent the opposition. Literally no one is against background checks...

OIP.W7gZUsHSm82t7PW1RJG3fQHaFQ

Seems a bit extreme. Ive never been in a circle jerk so...(Also far from a gun nut)

It is a dumb debate, but I have had it drilled into my head. However the one that does upset me is the AR - Assault Rifle vs Armalite Rifle debate. Honestly just poor marketing, but its a mute point.

A bit off topic, but I agree with background checks, and think proper gun safety and handling should be required at some level in life. I know it probably contradicts some of my other points previously, however there is no solution to make everyone happy.

Enough soapbox.

Story.

So it?s as I predicted. I expect the Spartans will get about the same in the end because of a tunnel event.

What isn?t being reported in the story is that if there had been one single, more round of ammunition found ? even a Post-it note with the word ammunition written on it - the judge would?ve thrown the book at him.

Handled, he made an error, by either running late or failing to do what he was supposed to do.

Lessoned learned (hopefully) and he's off to beat TCU!

Last edited:
Back