Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford gone to rams

I wish it was like that draft simulator and we could end up with like 8 2nd rd and 6 3rd rd picks and 3 more first rd picks for next year lol. 5 first rd picks next year. I mean if we putting the shit on hold...lets go big in 2022!

Getting your guy should be your #1 goal in my opinion.

I get that and don't disagree. I guess I'm talking about trading back but not too far. 8,9,12,15 are all potential trade partners if there is a QB left. There will be really good players available at all of those spots. going back to 12 or 15 will likely get you a future first as well.

The great thing about the Lions sucking so bad, they can pretty much go BPA and it's also a position of need.

Look at getting future picks this way...

Lions want to see if Goff can rebound. They have enough picks this year to try him out. No point in drafting a 22 year old unknown quality qb at #7 or #8, wasting the pick if your goal is to give your ex all pro 26 year old QB a chance. 2022 we'll have two first round picks to either build more around Goff or to draft the answer and still have ammo in that draft and future draft to add more pieces.

This trade was a steal either way.

you guys htink im a whiny little bitch now....just wait til we pick Devonta Smith at 7 lmao.

1. You are a whiny little bitch.

2. Why would taking Smith be bad?

3. We need playmakers at every single level of offense and defense. Since we don?t have 13 first round picks......I?ll take the BPA regardless of position at #7.

Detroit would have been 16th in cap space with 16.1 million in space at 175 if they just traded for picks

Now they are -10.9 wit the trade including Goff for 22nd in cap space.

17 teams under the cap with at 175. 15 teams over including Lions now

However cap could be 180 or 198. If its 198 they will be under the cap at 11. 1 million under the cap (before 30 million in savings from cuts)

Saints are 100 over LOL. Never seen that. Brees has to retire or that can't even work anything to get under the cap even with tons of cuts.

Last edited:
1. You are a whiny little bitch.

2. Why would taking Smith be bad?

3. We need playmakers at every single level of offense and defense. Since we don?t have 13 first round picks......I?ll take the BPA regardless of position at #7.

I explained this...i think a guy like terrance Marshall in rd2 can produce just as much as smith will in the nfl. I question if smith will be too undersized to play consistently on the outside...ie a john ross.

I explained this...i think a guy like terrance Marshall in rd2 can produce just as much as smith will in the nfl. I question if smith will be too undersized to play consistently on the outside...ie a john ross.

The days of having to be big and physical to play on the outside are gone. Any fighting, battling and physicality after 5yrds is flagged. Lots of good WR?s Smith size or smaller play on the outside. Ridley, Odell and Hill, just to name a few.

He's an inch taller and like 10 pounds lighter than Diggs is... Give him a year with NFL workout plan and he's probably around the same weight. Diggs has no problem playing outside... I'm still with you though I'd rather take defense at 7 and grab a WR round 2, but I wouldn't be upset at all adding Smith.

I'm sure we do draft a WR and will still be 32nd in defense. I guess that's okay because its okay to tank another season. And in 2022 I suspect we take another offensive player and still stink on D. Why? Because that's what we always do. Unless we focus top picks and majority of draft on front 7 those future picks from LA won't help and this team will have another full rebuild in 5 years.

I'm sure we do draft a WR and will still be 32nd in defense. I guess that's okay because its okay to tank another season. And in 2022 I suspect we take another offensive player and still stink on D. Why? Because that's what we always do. Unless we focus top picks and majority of draft on front 7 those future picks from LA won't help and this team will have another full rebuild in 5 years.

This draft will be mainly a defensive draft. The only position on offense that we should be looking at is WR (maybe a QB in the first, but seems unlikely). Obviously we have to see how this Golladay thing shakes out and if they do anything else in Free Agency, but there is no debating WR is out biggest need by a country mile. We have nothing there besides Cephus who profiles as a #2 at best. Just happens to be a WR best be the best player at that spot. Honestly I think everyone knows we need a lot of help so everyone is on board with trading down if possible. If we can't though WR should be a realistic option, with where we stand today.

I understand the need for defense, but we should not reach for a defensive player if we feel like there is a much better offensive player sitting there, IMO.

Also not saying you don?t need defense and offensive line. But people who think you don?t need extreme playmakers haven?t been watching the nfl lately. The game has changed and it?s all about matchups and having superior skill position players. ?Matchup nightmares? Not saying you can?t win a Super Bowl the old fashioned way, AND you still do need a oline and a good defense. But playmakers definitely matter today!

What we always do. We just took a defensive player in 2020 and stunk it up. 2017 was defense in Davis. 2013 defense in Ansah, 2011 defense Fairley, 2010 defense Suh. Half the time we have taken defense Round 1 but mainly was Mayhew. Quinn was 2 of 5. And more to draft than Round 1. Maybe Holmes can actually hit defense or offense on day 2 other than a few hits (Golladay, Walker 2018/2019 etc)

What we always do. We just took a defensive player in 2020 and stunk it up. 2017 was defense in Davis. 2013 defense in Ansah, 2011 defense Fairley, 2010 defense Suh. Half the time we have taken defense Round 1 but mainly was Mayhew. Quinn was 2 of 5. And more to draft than Round 1. Maybe Holmes can actually hit defense or offense on day 2 other than a few hits (Golladay, Walker 2018/2019 etc)

I agree, people freak out because we took a bunch of wide receivers back to back to back to back like 17 years ago and they all sucked lol. But I looked it up one day and dating back the last 7 or 8 years i think it was like 19 or 20 out of 27 of our picks round 1-3 were defense and o-line. People bitched even when we took Golladay in the 3rd round. It's ridiculous, they act like you should only draft them in the 6th or 7th.

Last edited:
I agree, people freak out because we took a bunch of wide receivers back to back to back to back like 17 years ago and they all sucked lol. But I looked it up one day and dating back the last 7 or 8 years i think it was like 19 or 20 out of 27 of our picks round 1-3 were defense and o-line. People bitched even when we took Golladay in the 3rd round. It's ridiculous, they act like you should only draft them in the 6th or 7th.

Yep exactly. It's not who we picked, we took Oline and D, it's some of them ending up not working out

Lions went FA route for WR and it worked with Tate and Marvin Jones at decent but not overpay contracts. Then Golladay was a steal for 3 years plus injury year 2020 but now it's time for someone to pay him.

WR at pick 7 is fine as long as they work out as a game changer. Even real good starter is solid for pick 7. Think Hock falls into that latter category. Ebron just shy of it so he was cut.

People bitch about using picks on runningbacks. The fact of the matter is in the last 9 drafts we have selected D'andre Swift, Ameer Abdullah and Kerryon. That's our draft picks in the top 3 rounds. Tight end I understand, two of them with TJ (who looks pretty good btw) and Eric Ebron (Gross). And at WR Kenny Golladay, and Ryan Broyles.

That is out of 28 picks rounds 1-3. Now I understand people don't like drafting skill positions over and over again. But at the same time for instance the new regime can't just leave holes at skill positions because past ones sucked and picked a bunch of terrible picks. It's unfortunate but a need is a need.

People bitch about using picks on runningbacks. The fact of the matter is in the last 9 drafts we have selected D'andre Swift, Ameer Abdullah and Kerryon. That's our draft picks in the top 3 rounds. Tight end I understand, two of them with TJ (who looks pretty good btw) and Eric Ebron (Gross). And at WR Kenny Golladay, and Ryan Broyles.

That is out of 28 picks rounds 1-3. Now I understand people don't like drafting skill positions over and over again. But at the same time for instance the new regime can't just leave holes at skill positions because past ones sucked and picked a bunch of terrible picks. It's unfortunate but a need is a need.

Using Round 2 or 3 is a good thing on running back. That way you don't spend huge money on free agency. You get a young talented cheap running back for 4 years. Injuries have bit the Lions there with KJ and Abdullah which derailed them. But run blocking an issue for a long time and they've tried to fix it. Decker and Ragnow the best selection out of all of them as they are good Oline at least. Jackson TBD. Crosby is what he is a 5th rounder but stepped up some. Vaitai looks like a mistake but maybe that was injury driven in 2020 too.

Stafford's record in playoffs: 0-3
Goff's record in playoffs: 2-2

This despite trying to provide Stafford as many weapons as possible (well, prior to Quinn).

Stafford is just not a good game manager. He is a QB who slings it, great...but what about his leadership? What about him checking from a pass to a run CORRECTLY? He has only led his team to the playoffs 3 times in 12 years...that's 25%...and then when in the playoffs he is MR. 0%.

How many Super Bowl QBs are the types who sling it? Hell, Brady is actually more of a game manager than slinger. Give me the QB who understands how to properly manage a game to WIN...and is a true leader who the other players trust to win the game, not by being the perfect throwing QB but by being a great game manager.

BTW, for those who keep complaining we went after Goff because our new staff came from the Rams, reality is that Stafford is good friends with Rams HC...through Kelly's brother they got connected.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/01/matthew-stafford-sean-mcvay-celebrate-rams-trade-dinner-mexico

So you can stop bitching about what you thought was the reason for the trade.

In fact, this explains why Mr. 0% in playoffs was considered worth trading Goff AND picks when Goff is .500 in the playoffs...and much younger.

Stafford's record in playoffs: 0-3
Goff's record in playoffs: 2-2

This despite trying to provide Stafford as many weapons as possible (well, prior to Quinn).

Stafford is just not a good game manager. He is a QB who slings it, great...but what about his leadership? What about him checking from a pass to a run CORRECTLY? He has only led his team to the playoffs 3 times in 12 years...that's 25%...and then when in the playoffs he is MR. 0%.

How many Super Bowl QBs are the types who sling it? Hell, Brady is actually more of a game manager than slinger. Give me the QB who understands how to properly manage a game to WIN...and is a true leader who the other players trust to win the game, not by being the perfect throwing QB but by being a great game manager.

Once again, if the weapons are busts. They aren't really weapons. I wouldn't call Ryan Broyles, Ameer Abdullah, and unfortunately now due to injury Kerryon Johnson, or Eric Ebron as weapons.

Hughes, how many times have you bitched about Stafford not being able to get into the playoffs let alone win in the playoffs?

Now you have a QB who has proven he can get his team to the playoffs AND win when there. A QB who actually has been to a Super Bowl. Yeah, he lost to the Pats...so did 5 other teams and their QBs. Any of those QBs are better than Stafford because they proved they can get to the playoffs and win.

Maybe Goff doesn't work out, but he has earned the benefit of the doubt to play here for 2 years to see if he can make it happen here. No, it will not likely happen next year due to the horrific team he is coming to...but he deserves the chance to get them there by 2022 because not even Tom Brady would get the Lions there next year based on where the team is currently.

Back