Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Thanks For Everything Coach

Warde Manuel: Jim Harbaugh's departure has proven to be very divisive. We think there's one man who can bring us all back together, get us all rowing in the right direction, and so we'd like to introduce our new coach...

large_071216-rich-rodriguez-thumbsup.jpg

This is why people blame Warde. Could have been a done deal months ago.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...baughs-contract-demands-until-it-was-too-late

Yeah could have done a deal that made Michigan look even more shady and corrupt in my opinion. Jim's demands were pretty over the top. Hey I can't be fired regardless of what the NCAA uncovers about me? That's not exactly the request of someone who is innocent as he insists.

Harbaugh must have known that Warde would be highly unlikely to ever accept such a clause. So why demand it if he really wanted to stay above all other options?

If Warde had really agreed to that right away optically it just says "yeah I'm Harbaugh's btich; we don't give a fuck what he does he can break any rules he wants and I have no power to stop him".

Warde Manuel: Jim Harbaugh's departure has proven to be very divisive. We think there's one man who can bring us all back together, get us all rowing in the right direction, and so we'd like to introduce our new coach...

large_071216-rich-rodriguez-thumbsup.jpg

Lol cue up "You Raise Me Up"

Harbaugh must have known that Warde would be highly unlikely to ever accept such a clause. So why demand it if he really wanted to stay above all other options?

If Warde had really agreed to that right away optically it just says "yeah I'm Harbaugh's btich; we don't give a fuck what he does he can break any rules he wants and I have no power to stop him".

But didn't he accept it? Just at the 11th hour. And I don't blame coach from asking for it. How many times should a person get suspended on an incident imo that wasn't that big of a deal?

But didn't he accept it? Just at the 11th hour. And I don't blame coach from asking for it. How many times should a person get suspended on an incident imo that wasn't that big of a deal?

I think that was also just for optics. He knew Jim was gone by the time that 11th hour came so he "accepted" the clause just to make himself look like he tried everything he could to keep him.

Whether or not the suspensions Harbaugh received were justified or fair....it still is insane for any employer to agree that they cannot fire their employee if he breaks rules. Then the employee can just do whatever he wants with no consequences. That scenario is not any more favorable.

Last edited:
Maybe it is insane but when your own football program decides to suspend you twice maybe it's a good thing he asked, justified or not. I don't think any less of him and glad he helped us get a chip.

Maybe it is insane but when your own football program decides to suspend you twice maybe it's a good thing he asked, justified or not. I don't think any less of him and glad he helped us get a chip.

Oh I didn't say anybody has to think less of him or not be thankful for all his accomplishments. We absolutely should be, and I thanked him myself and wished him luck earlier in the thread.

I am just saying that the narrative that Warde alone is responsible for pushing Jim out is not a fair one. Harbaugh's actions and words have plenty of evidence to suggest that he was looking to head back to the NFL, including asking for this type of clause he should have known would probably never be accepted by the university.

And to be clear the university only suspended Jim once at the beginning of the season for those first 3 irrelevant games as a response of the recruiting allegations. And they only did it to soften the blow of NCAA penalties that are still forthcoming. They did not suspend Jim as an admission of guilt of any kind.

The Big Ten suspended Harbaugh at the end of the season for the sign-stealing allegations. Michigan did not suspend Jim for that.

Yeah could have done a deal that made Michigan look even more shady and corrupt in my opinion. Jim's demands were pretty over the top. Hey I can't be fired regardless of what the NCAA uncovers about me? That's not exactly the request of someone who is innocent as he insists.

NCAA already investigated Harbaugh regarding Stallions and said Harbaugh had no knowledge of what he was doing. Over and done.

The other three game suspension was complete horseshit as well. 2 already committed recruits make a surprise visit to Ann Arbor and the NCAA alleged Harbaugh had illegal contact with them and bought them cheeseburgers.

Both situations are pointless and the clause should have been easy to include to retain Harbaugh because of that.

Harbaugh may have ultimately been gone no matter what, but Warde doesn't look good in how he handled the contract offer.

Last edited:
NCAA already investigated Harbaugh regarding Stallions and said Harbaugh had no knowledge of what he was doing. Over and done.

The other three game suspension was complete horseshit as well. 2 already committed recruits make a surprise visit to Ann Arbor and the NCAA alleged Harbaugh had illegal contact with them and bought them cheeseburgers.

Both situations are pointless and the clause should have been easy to include to retain Harbaugh because of that.

We know Coach Jim didn?t buy them chicken - it?s a nervous bird.

I think it?s maybe just Coach Jim did what he came to do - time to take on the next and last mountain.

Harbaugh may have ultimately been gone no matter what, but Warde doesn't look good in how he handled the contract offer.

I'm the first to say fire Warde for his body of work, but the investigations are still ongoing they aren't over and done with. Otherwise there'd be no point in asking for the clause to begin with. And the recruiting violations cited a lot more than just the cheeseburger incident. There could very well be more to come from both investigations. The university can't conduct themselves with the same mindset fans do.

It may very well be unfair, BS, or a witch hunt on the part of the NCAA against Jim etc. but even if so Warde doesn't have to cave in and make the university look even more corrupt by agreeing to this unprecedent demand Jim gave him which basically states the head football coach is more powerful than the AD.

Actually it's not completely unprecedented because you know who else has the same type of clause in their contract? Bill Self of Kansas Jayhawks basketball who's regarded as one of the biggest sleazebags in coaching. Not saying Jim's the same type of sleazebag but again the optics of the whole situation would look very similar.

I'm the first to say fire Warde for his body of work, but the investigations are still ongoing they aren't over and done with. Otherwise there'd be no point in asking for the clause to begin with. And the recruiting violations cited a lot more than just the cheeseburger incident. There could very well be more to come from both investigations. The university can't conduct themselves with the same mindset fans do.

It may very well be unfair, BS, or a witch hunt on the part of the NCAA against Jim etc. but even if so Warde doesn't have to cave in and make the university look even more corrupt by agreeing to this unprecedent demand Jim gave him which basically states the head football coach is more powerful than the AD.

Actually it's not completely unprecedented because you know who else has the same type of clause in their contract? Bill Self of Kansas Jayhawks basketball who's regarded as one of the biggest sleazebags in coaching. Not saying Jim's the same type of sleazebag but again the optics of the whole situation would look very similar.

I cannot believe you're saying all this... this is making my brain hurt.

I don't get why this is so hard to grasp for some people. JIM WANTS TO WIN A SUPER BOWL. There's not a damn thing that Warde or Michigan could do to change what happened. It's fucking exhausting that so many in the fan base continue with this moronic Warde hate for this.

I don't get why this is so hard to grasp for some people. JIM WANTS TO WIN A SUPER BOWL. There's not a damn thing that Warde or Michigan could do to change what happened. It's fucking exhausting that so many in the fan base continue with this moronic Warde hate for this.

I?m inclined to agree with you.

Our team just won the national championship!

What?s the reaction? Fire the AD!

I?m not gonna put any effort into it, but my guess would be the same voices crying ?fire Warde? were saying ?fire Jim? three years ago.

I was literally born on the University of Michigan campus.

I played in the Vince Lombardi Junior League relatively the same time Jim and John did (didn?t know them back - they played on the Junior Packers, and I played on the Junior Rams).

I went to most M games when I was a Boy Scout, as part of the Scout usher program back in the 1970s.

When I was at Ann Arbor Pioneer, I had a huge crush on a librarian. Her name was Claire Canham, the daughter of Don Canham, the greatest AD in the history of college sports - I didn?t read his book - I?ll let MichChamp bore you about the need to read his book.

I earned a BA from Michigan and was a member of the Glee Club.

Bill Martin made the worst football decision in my lifetime when he went outside of the Bo legacy when Lloyd retired. The pizza guy after him wasn?t so hot either.

The best thing I can say about Warde Manuel is I?ve barely heard his name, which is pretty much the best quality an AD can have.

He?s hardly been the worst M AD ever.

The decision to virtually immediately elevate Moore to HC couldn?t have been better.

I buried my dad with a Michigan t-shirt folded under his arm.

I will love Michigan until someone buries me with a Michigan t-shirt folded under my arm.

I?m coming to find my patience challenged by much of the fan base.

I?m inclined to agree with you.

Our team just won the national championship!

What?s the reaction? Fire the AD!

I?m not gonna put any effort into it, but my guess would be the same voices crying ?fire Warde? were saying ?fire Jim? three years ago.

I was literally born on the University of Michigan campus.

I played in the Vince Lombardi Junior League relatively the same time Jim and John did (didn?t know them back - they played on the Junior Packers, and I played on the Junior Rams).

I went to most M games when I was a Boy Scout, as part of the Scout usher program back in the 1970s.

When I was at Ann Arbor Pioneer, I had a huge crush on a librarian. Her name was Claire Canham, the daughter of Don Canham, the greatest AD in the history of college sports - I didn?t read his book - I?ll let MichChamp bore you about the need to read his book.

I earned a BA from Michigan and was a member of the Glee Club.

Bill Martin made the worst football decision in my lifetime when he went outside of the Bo legacy when Lloyd retired. The pizza guy after him wasn?t so hot either.

The best thing I can say about Warde Manuel is I?ve barely heard his name, which is pretty much the best quality an AD can have.

He?s hardly been the worst M AD ever.

The decision to virtually immediately elevate Moore to HC couldn?t have been better.

I buried my dad with a Michigan t-shirt folded under his arm.

I will love Michigan until someone buries me with a Michigan t-shirt folded under my arm.

I?m coming to find my patience challenged by much of the fan base.

I'm irrationally excited about Sherrone being the head coach. I have enjoyed Jim's tenure, especially the past 3 years. 40-3. That's an absolutely insane record and these past 3 years have made the last 30 worth it.

All that said, I expect recruiting to improve and development to be just as good. I just hope we can keep some type of continuity with the defense because that was the key to the national championship.

I'm disappointed. Jim had an opportunity to be a legendary college coach at Michigan. He had established the momentum over the last three years winning the B1G and the NC. With the west coast teams joining the conference he could have continued to build the program into national prominence (Champions of the West and all). The program was in a position to increase recruiting of 4 and 5 stars. Now he will be remembered as the coach that brought the program back after some bad years, but not as a legendary coach at Michigan. I know the NCAA is after him, but is it worse than what was happening in SF with the administration and ownership before he left to come to Michigan. His personality gets him into these kinds of conflicts and that is going to go with him wherever he goes. At least at Michigan he had a home with solid support from the boosters. He was not going to be run out of Ann Arbor. I understand the desire to win a Superbowl like his brother, but the NFL is a completely different situation. Do NFL players consider the opportunity to learn from a coach? Do they consider the team culture and choose the team they play for because it has a brotherhood type of atmosphere? I think in the NFL it is more about bringing attention to themselves and getting their paycheck. With the NIL it may be changing in college football, but there is still the motivation of learning from the coaching staff, program culture, and winning important games and championships that prepare and set up the players to go to the NFL. Once you're in the NFL what is the motivation? I guess Harbaugh is well aware of the NFL environment having been there before. It is going to be tough for him. I appreciate what he did at Michigan and wish him well. I am disappointed he made this decision. He could have achieved greatness as a college coach.

I'm disappointed. Jim had an opportunity to be a legendary college coach at Michigan. He had established the momentum over the last three years winning the B1G and the NC. With the west coast teams joining the conference he could have continued to build the program into national prominence (Champions of the West and all). The program was in a position to increase recruiting of 4 and 5 stars. Now he will be remembered as the coach that brought the program back after some bad years, but not as a legendary coach at Michigan. I know the NCAA is after him, but is it worse than what was happening in SF with the administration and ownership before he left to come to Michigan. His personality gets him into these kinds of conflicts and that is going to go with him wherever he goes. At least at Michigan he had a home with solid support from the boosters. He was not going to be run out of Ann Arbor. I understand the desire to win a Superbowl like his brother, but the NFL is a completely different situation. Do NFL players consider the opportunity to learn from a coach? Do they consider the team culture and choose the team they play for because it has a brotherhood type of atmosphere? I think in the NFL it is more about bringing attention to themselves and getting their paycheck. With the NIL it may be changing in college football, but there is still the motivation of learning from the coaching staff, program culture, and winning important games and championships that prepare and set up the players to go to the NFL. Once you're in the NFL what is the motivation? I guess Harbaugh is well aware of the NFL environment having been there before. It is going to be tough for him. I appreciate what he did at Michigan and wish him well. I am disappointed he made this decision. He could have achieved greatness as a college coach.

I still don't put this on Jim. But I admit - and I wish the "Harbaugh was gone regardless" people could admit - that no one except Jim Harbaugh himself knows what was going through his mind.

There's been a lot of "noise" in the media about this, and not much signal, but we can sift through the noise and distinguish some facts... A lot of the noise is understandable: rival coaches want Harbaugh to leave for the NFL, and after his comments about getting the players paid, the NCAA wants him gone as well, and probably a lot of advertisers and TV people also, so their mouthpieces in the media have been on overdrive about this issue, almost constantly since he's been in Ann Arbor.

We do know that the administration dragged their feet all year on renewing his contract, and, according to Bacon, the ball was in Warde Manuel's court this time. I.e. Harbaugh's attorneys sent their version over and were left hanging for months, even as the team kept winning, and ultimately won it all, despite an unprecedented smear campaign going on all season & sidelining him for three key games.

That's basically Warde telling Harbaugh to "FUCK OFF" ... and I think Jim's comments about wanting to stay in Ann Arbor but needing to "feel the love" referred to that.

As far as him wanting to win a Super Bowl, I think sure, he wants to win a Super Bowl. I'd like to win a Super Bowl. I think if you asked anyone on the planet "Would you like to win the Super Bowl?" They would say "YES." even if they did not know anything about football. But did Harbaugh want to win a Super Bowl at the expense of leaving Michigan? I don't know. Nobody knows except him, and they're fooling themselves if they think they do.

If Moore works out - which we're really just hoping he does, because he has no established track record here as a head coach, only in the limited "interim" sense - then no harm, no foul, I guess, although the way Jim left will always be a blemish on the program.

But if not, if this is just another rash decision (like hiring Juwan Howard despite his lack of HC college experience) by an egomaniac AD who can't handle managing his relationship with successful coaches, then the same guy who's driving our basketball and baseball teams in the ground has just done the same thing to the football team, with zero fucking repercussions for any of it.

And I'll say this: A LOT of people could do Warde's job. But no one else has proven they could do what Jim Harbaugh just did - win a national championship at Michigan a talented, but not Top 10 talented team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back