Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Thanks For Everything Coach

Bacon stated early on that Jim wanted to stay at Michigan, but wanted to "feel the love" from the school. The love wasn't about money, it was about NCAA immunity because of their nonsense witch hunt. That wasn't added to the contract until the 11th hour when Jim was already gone. That's the failure.

Nothing could've been done about JB or Bakich. JB didn't like where college basketball was going, so he left. Bakich left for a conference that cares way more about baseball and doesn't have to play their first month of games on the road.

Bacon is a hack. He has very little access to the program at this point and nearly everything he "reports" is parroting someone else who also isn't in the know.

I also don't understand why people think that this was ever ending any other way. Jim has pursued the NFL each of the past 2 years after he said he was done. It was always reported that one of the hang-ups in an extension was the buyout or a clause about not pursuing the NFL this year. So Jim either signs an extension a month ago without those stipulations and still leaves or it plays out like it did.

I'm not a Warde apologist by any means. I think the Mel Pearson situation was handled like shit and that Juwan Howard should have been fired after hitting another team's coach. But in this case he's not the one to blame. Jim did not want to be at Michigan and Michigan has been his fall-back for the past 2 years.

Thanks for the national championship, good luck. I for one am excited to see what Sherrone can do with the program. He's one of the best recruiters in the country and now he can do that without having a 2 month lull because nobody knows who the head coach will be.

I think Harbaugh is the ultimate competitor and he truly loves UM. I would have to guess that is main goal was to bring a NC to UM, and he did it. His other goal is to win a SB. Now he can focus on that.

I think Harbaugh is the ultimate competitor and he truly loves UM. I would have to guess that is main goal was to bring a NC to UM, and he did it. His other goal is to win a SB. Now he can focus on that.
Maybe... I just think that's pretty frivolous. He already had time in the NFL and almost won one (losing to his brother of course), and willingly walked away from that. He's not a shallow guy, and I think he knows he'll leave a more meaningful legacy staying in Ann Arbor. Plus he has a relatively young family and has said things about raising kids there, in the same place he grew up.

I really think that Warde fucked this up, and Harbaugh decided after that kind of treatment he would not work for him anymore.

We'll probably get some hints about his thoughts in the next year or so, so we'll see. He's never been great about keeping his mouth shut! His comment about wanting to be somewhere he feels the love was pretty telling in my opinion.

Maybe... I just think that's pretty frivolous. He already had time in the NFL and almost won one (losing to his brother of course), and willingly walked away from that. He's not a shallow guy, and I think he knows he'll leave a more meaningful legacy staying in Ann Arbor. Plus he has a relatively young family and has said things about raising kids there, in the same place he grew up.

I really think that Warde fucked this up, and Harbaugh decided after that kind of treatment he would not work for him anymore.

We'll probably get some hints about his thoughts in the next year or so, so we'll see. He's never been great about keeping his mouth shut! His comment about wanting to be somewhere he feels the love was pretty telling in my opinion.

Walking away from the NFL the first time doesn't mean Harbaugh abandoned his dream of winning a Super Bowl. It's no secret he wants that very badly. And his legacy at Michigan is pretty much already set. He restored the program to glory, turned the tide against OSU, won 3 consecutive conference championships for the first time since 2004, and won a national title for the first time since 1997. His name will forever be in the same vein as Schembechler, and Yost etc. In fact he had nowhere to take his legacy but downwards if he continued on amid all this controversy. Winning even another national title or two would not have made his legacy all that much greater than it already is right now. Plus what better legacy is there to leave than being one of the few coaches to win a championship in college and in the NFL?

Here's his quote to Mitch Albom two years ago after the Vikings stuff played out:

There was a pull to the NFL because I got that close to the Super Bowl,? he admitted, ?but this was the time (to try and return.) And this is the last time. Now let?s go chase college football?s greatest prize.?

He says it right there that the Super Bowl nags at him. I firmly believe he takes the Vikings job if offered two years ago. He flirted with the Broncos last year but knew he had the best possible team at Michigan to win a natty coming back (he was right). So he came back one more year to give it a shot.

I am no fan of Warde but I don't think this is a scenario where he is solely to blame for "forcing" or "pushing" Harbaugh out of UofM. He might have contributed, but Harbaugh clearly has had his own reasons to leave and this was the exact perfect moment.

I don't think Harbaugh willingly walked away from the 49ers. More of a force out. He even stated that "..he was forced to resign against his will."

Some people need someone to blame and for whatever reason those people are taking it out on Warde. It's not very complicated. Jim wants to win a super bowl, warde can't offer him that. It may be true that there was friction between them, it may be true that Jim enjoyed coaching at Michigan. But he was not staying regardless of what Warde did or didn't do so it's a moot point.

The most insanely competitive person in the world lost the biggest game in the world to his brother. That's not something that type of person just let's go.

I don't know why he picked the Chargers. They're a terrible franchise that has no fans. Their home games have more away fans almost every Sunday.

They are also in a terrible salary cap position. $27.5M over the cap with a roster filled with aging stars. They're nowhere near contention.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39267456/salary-cap-issues-loom-next-chargers-coach-gm

What NFL gig would have been better?

The fan situation is a disaster, but it was the best place to land out of the openings. He'll have the best QB out of these open gigs, by far.

I'd bet they're in the playoffs next year. Problem is they're in the same division as Mahomes, so it'll just be a wild card, but still.

I say UM waits and see who Harbaugh takes with him, and if he takes his guys we hire Uncle Urban. Fuck it if we are gonna be accused of cheating to win why hide it.

I have no remorse for Harbaugh, he said 2 years ago he was done flirting with the NFL. Made a public statement, saying he was done flirting with the NFL and was 100% in on UM as long as they wanted him. So, thanks for the wins, but he can get fucked as far as I am concerned.

I say UM waits and see who Harbaugh takes with him, and if he takes his guys we hire Uncle Urban. Fuck it if we are gonna be accused of cheating to win why hide it.

I have no remorse for Harbaugh, he said 2 years ago he was done flirting with the NFL. Made a public statement, saying he was done flirting with the NFL and was 100% in on UM as long as they wanted him. So, thanks for the wins, but he can get fucked as far as I am concerned.
Maybe they didn't want him anymore?

What NFL gig would have been better?

The fan situation is a disaster, but it was the best place to land out of the openings. He'll have the best QB out of these open gigs, by far.

I'd bet they're in the playoffs next year. Problem is they're in the same division as Mahomes, so it'll just be a wild card, but still.

Washington and Atlanta are both better jobs tbh. Washington has the most cap space and Atlanta is loaded and needs a QB.

I'm in a similar place. Not quite "get fucked" but I was ready to say thanks, give him a firm handshake and wish him luck. I'm grateful for what he did but I am tired of the NFL shit every single year. I'm also tired of the NCAA bullshit which seems to be directed at Jim more than it is Michigan.

Sherrone is one of the best recruiters in the country. I'm very excited to see what he can do without having being handcuffed by Jim's bullshit every January. There's no reason why coming off of 3 straight top 3 finishes and a national championship that they should be finishing outside of the top 10 in recruiting. I get that they have elite development but if you are starting with 4/5 star talent and applying that development rather than 3/4 star your floor, ceiling and margin for error are all much higher.

I'm in a similar place. Not quite "get fucked" but I was ready to say thanks, give him a firm handshake and wish him luck. I'm grateful for what he did but I am tired of the NFL shit every single year. I'm also tired of the NCAA bullshit which seems to be directed at Jim more than it is Michigan.

Sherrone is one of the best recruiters in the country. I'm very excited to see what he can do without having being handcuffed by Jim's bullshit every January. There's no reason why coming off of 3 straight top 3 finishes and a national championship that they should be finishing outside of the top 10 in recruiting. I get that they have elite development but if you are starting with 4/5 star talent and applying that development rather than 3/4 star your floor, ceiling and margin for error are all much higher.

I agree. Sorry I?m bitter due to the same NFL crap every year. It?s been like this practically every year he?s been here. He had it made, made millions had every fan clinging to him, job security. But the heart want what the heart wants. So good luck to him.

Last edited:
I agree. Sorry I?m bitter due to the same NFL crap every year. It?s been like this practically every year he?s been here. He had it made, made millions had every fan clinging to him, job security. But the heart want what the heart wants. So good luck to him.

I agree. I don't fault him for wanting to pursue the NFL. He wants to win a super bowl and the life of a coach in college is a lot more time-consuming than that of their NFL counterparts.

I am, however, exhausted by the amount of fans that are shitting on Warde and even Ono as of there was anything they could have done to prevent this. I just can't comprehend how they completely absolve Jim of all fault even though he reneged on his promise each year since 2021.

Jim said that he wouldn't sign an extension until at least February 16th so he could pursue NFL jobs. Any extension Michigan put in front of him he balked at because of a buyout or "no NFL in 2024" language. So somehow people have deluded themselves into thinking that he wasn't going to do this no matter what. This was always going to be the outcome.

Washington and Atlanta are both better jobs tbh. Washington has the most cap space and Atlanta is loaded and needs a QB.

You say Atlanta is loaded because of all these big skill position guys that they've drafted that haven't done much of anything? I guess we'll see if the lack of production from these guys was coaching/QB issues soon enough.

Chargers have one of the better RBs, a couple #1 WRs, and a top five QB... Not to mention Bosa/Mack on the other side of the ball. I'm sure they'll have to dump someone to solve the cap crisis, but I'd take that situation for sure.

One place I would not want to go, Washington. That job is death, even with new owner.

One place I would not want to go, Washington. That job is death, even with new owner.

Well, the stink of Dan Snyder being there is gone, but the moves they made before the trade deadline were bewildering to me. Dumped Chase Young and Montez Sweat. Guess they just decided they weren't extending these guys, but not great value turning your 2020 #2 overall pick into a third round pick. And Howell started the entire year but was essentially a late round draft pick that you have to assume was planned to be the backup.

I'm just not sure what they're doing.

Some people need someone to blame and for whatever reason those people are taking it out on Warde. It's not very complicated. Jim wants to win a super bowl, warde can't offer him that. It may be true that there was friction between them, it may be true that Jim enjoyed coaching at Michigan. But he was not staying regardless of what Warde did or didn't do so it's a moot point.

The most insanely competitive person in the world lost the biggest game in the world to his brother. That's not something that type of person just let's go.

This is why people blame Warde. Could have been a done deal months ago.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...baughs-contract-demands-until-it-was-too-late

AAAAAAH! I'M STILL NOT OVER IT. this FUCKIN SUCKS.

We had the ONE (1) person on the whole goddamn planet who was THE perfect coach for this program, we just finally won a FUCKING national championship, and our dickhead AD pushed him out... FUCK.

FUUUUUUUUUUuuuuu....

Back