Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The annual Way to early but not really 2021 Draft Thread!

What if they trade down, getting some draft capital, and STILL draft a WR?

If you trade down youre likely getting 1 pick 15-25. Then a 2nd round pick. There will be some WRs projected in that 15-25 range but i think getting the LB there has more upside because at that point any WR you get in rd 2 theres going to be very minimal value difference than rd 1. Terrance Marshall for instance.

We have to really trade down. No reason to draft a WR in 1st round with the defense we have.

If you trade down youre likely getting 1 pick 15-25. Then a 2nd round pick. There will be some WRs projected in that 15-25 range but i think getting the LB there has more upside because at that point any WR you get in rd 2 theres going to be very minimal value difference than rd 1. Terrance Marshall for instance.

Considering the earlier post about draft % success of positions, I would strongly consider getting a 2nd CB in case last year's R1 stud CB pick proves to be at best a #2 CB...which has to be considered a potential issue. CB success after R1 drops off considerably it seems, which makes sense as IMO CB is the most difficult position in today's pass happy, pass friendly NFL where what CBs got away with considerable hand use in college becomes a penalty in the NFL....cannot think of another position where the Rules are that different at that position, which I think adds to the difficulties new CBs have in the NFL. As a result, you really need the best CB possible, one who is fast and quick and showed the ability to cover WRs in college without using their hands.

Then in R2 go WR and LB (as we would theoretically have an additional R2 pick) and in R3 go DT and DE with those 2 picks. R4 and R5 add another DL and LB, or maybe add in a S instead at one of those 2. IF they manage to get not only a 2nd but a later pick in addition, then definitely a S with that extra pick.

It will be a young D, obviously, and they will make mistakes that cost a few games in 2021 (especially since there will be some of those picks who underperform), but 2022 and 2023 would hopefully be improved and any remaining holes get filled with 2022 FA and Draft such that in 2022 they are a probably playoff team and 2023 potential SB contender.

All that requires hitting on about 75% of all draft picks, which the new guys seem to have the ability to do based on prior drafts.

We have to really trade down. No reason to draft a WR in 1st round with the defense we have.

Adding top flight talent AT ANY TIME is a good idea. Top 10 picks are "cheap" for 4 years.......if we aren't in the winning phase of the rebuild by then we will be in the beginning phase of the NEXT rebuild and they become a very valuable trade piece.

This board is notorious for the "why not trade down" posts......but if it were that simple, wouldn't a LOT of teams be doing that? Nobody here has any idea what is being offered for a trade down or if teams are actually looking to move up. I love watching draft day posts acting like this is a game of Madden when you can trade down at will AND get good value in doing so.

Adding top flight talent AT ANY TIME is a good idea. Top 10 picks are "cheap" for 4 years.......if we aren't in the winning phase of the rebuild by then we will be in the beginning phase of the NEXT rebuild and they become a very valuable trade piece.

This board is notorious for the "why not trade down" posts......but if it were that simple, wouldn't a LOT of teams be doing that? Nobody here has any idea what is being offered for a trade down or if teams are actually looking to move up. I love watching draft day posts acting like this is a game of Madden when you can trade down at will AND get good value in doing so.

If we draft a WR than they're not serious about fixing this team. I don't care if he's Calvin 2.0. Because Calvin 1.0 wasn't part of a playoff win. This team needs to be serious about fixing this defense or they're fail like all the rest. Btw, you're already thinking about trading out 7th pick in 4 years because we stink it'd be more because we drafted a WR This past season top 11 defenses 8 went to the playoffs.

My point about trading all the way down is if they are set on taking a WR with their first pick. It'd be a mistake. You better take defense. And lots of it.

If we draft a WR than they're not serious about fixing this team. I don't care if he's Calvin 2.0. Because Calvin 1.0 wasn't part of a playoff win. This team needs to be serious about fixing this defense or they're fail like all the rest. Btw, you're already thinking about trading out 7th pick in 4 years because we stink it'd be more because we drafted a WR This past season top 11 defenses 8 went to the playoffs.

My point about trading all the way down is if they are set on taking a WR with their first pick. It'd be a mistake. You better take defense. And lots of it.

By not taking the best player available you're hurting your teams potential. Just because you take a WR doesn't mean you aren't serious about anything. Sorry, Chance, Smith or Waddle are better at their position than Parsons is at his. Is this offense so good that it doesn't need top talent?

There is no Devin White or can't miss edge rusher in this draft. Take the best talent you can get and fill in from there. 4 1st round picks in 2022 and 2023.....with one of them likely to be top 3.....lots of opportunities to grab talent in the drafts and FA periods ahead.

Lets say this AGAIN.....we are NOT winning this year......time to grab talent when/where we can. I don't care if it's WR, DE, QB, DT, S......I'm just tired of having top 10 picks and grabbing mediocre talent in that spot. Sorry Hock....love ya.....but he wasn't worth a top 10 pick. 4 years of a rookie contract for any position give you time/flexibility to find talent.

Last edited:
By not taking the best player available you're hurting your teams potential. Just because you take a WR doesn't mean you aren't serious about anything. Sorry, Chance, Smith or Waddle are better at their position than Parsons is at his. Is this offense so good that it doesn't need top talent?

There is no Devin White or can't miss edge rusher in this draft. Take the best talent you can get and fill in from there. 4 1st round picks in 2022 and 2023.....with one of them likely to be top 3.....lots of opportunities to grab talent in the drafts and FA periods ahead.

Lets say this AGAIN.....we are NOT winning this year......time to grab talent when/where we can. I don't care if it's WR, DE, QB, DT, S......I'm just tired of having top 10 picks and grabbing mediocre talent in that spot. Sorry Hock....love ya.....but he wasn't worth a top 10 pick. 4 years of a rookie contract for any position give you time/flexibility to find talent.

So we should take a QB if he's best available? Its not the mediocre top ten that's the problem its the fact the last 3 top ten's we've had they picked two TE.

So we should take a QB if he's best available? Its not the mediocre top ten that's the problem its the fact the last 3 top ten's we've had they picked two TE.

Fuck yes! Do you think Jared Goff is the answer?

If they really feel that there is a QB that is available at #7 that is the BEST available talent......you grab him IMMEDIATELY.

Agree to disagree.

If Ebron or Hock were Travis Kelce talented, they would be worth the pick.

They're not. Have to hit HR's with top picks.

Last edited:
Fuck yes! Do you think Jared Goff is the answer?

If they really feel that there is a QB that is available at #7 that is the BEST available talent......you grab him IMMEDIATELY.

Of course not and I wouldn't be totally against grabbing a QB but its a lesser need that won't help now or later if we're selecting WR before defense. Picking WR that high has never helped this team. I can only imagine taking a WR at 7 and in 9 years retires from football because he's tired of this organization. Lol.

Agree to disagree.

If Ebron or Hock were Travis Kelce talented, they would be worth the pick.

They're not. Have to hit HR's with top picks.

So say we picked Kelce would we win last year? Not with giving up 500+ points we wouldn't. And Kelce would have Staff's throwing to him not MaHomes.

Of course not and I wouldn't be totally against grabbing a QB but its a lesser need that won't help now or later if we're selecting WR before defense. Picking WR that high has never helped this team. I can only imagine taking a WR at 7 and in 9 years retires from football because he's tired of this organization. Lol.

Wait.....you're judging what we should do by the history of this organization?? That's your first mistake.

Was it the fact we took Rogers, Williams or Williams or the fact that 2 of the 3 of them sucked ass and the other was just OK and we fucked over Old Man Jones for a 1st for him.

It's not the positions we've drafted that have been an issue.....its the fact so many of them completely missed. Had they worked out, the entire fortune of the franchise turns around. And I'm not talking about hitting HR with every pick.....but there are way too many Godsner Cherlius's and Jordan Dizon's in there. Suh was good. Fairley was ok. Van Noy was great.....for other teams. We've selected plenty of defensive players along the way.....its just so few of them worked out.

Take talent. Fill in from there.

Last edited:
So say we picked Kelce would we win last year? Not with giving up 500+ points we wouldn't. And Kelce would have Staff's throwing to him not MaHomes.

No. Do you not read well. What I'm saying is TAKE TALENT. Let me put it another way. Kelce was drafted in 2013....

2014 - Take Donald instead of Ebron. Keep Van Noy
2015 - Take Preston Smith not Laken Tomlinson. Take Marpet not Ameer Abdullah
2016 - Take Michael Thomas not A'shawn Robinson
2017 - Take TJ Watt not Jarred Davis. Zach Cunningham not Deez Nuts Tabor.

See my point? We take less talented players. Who gives a flying fuck where they're drafted.

Do you think we win more in 2020 if we have Kelce, Donald, Van Noy, Preston Smith, Marpet, Michael Thomas, TJ Watt and Zach Cunningham? (yes, i am aware that would never work because of the cap, but my point is the same).

It has nothing to do with weather it was a WR at #7 or a DE or a LB.......take talent. Hit with the pick.....build around it.

No. Do you not read well. What I'm saying is TAKE TALENT. Let me put it another way. Kelce was drafted in 2013....

2014 - Take Donald instead of Ebron. Keep Van Noy
2015 - Take Preston Smith not Laken Tomlinson. Take Marpet not Ameer Abdullah
2016 - Take Michael Thomas not A'shawn Robinson
2017 - Take TJ Watt not Jarred Davis. Zach Cunningham not Deez Nuts Tabor.

See my point? We take less talented players. Who gives a flying fuck where they're drafted.

Do you think we win more in 2020 if we have Kelce, Donald, Van Noy, Preston Smith, Marpet, Michael Thomas, TJ Watt and Zach Cunningham? (yes, i am aware that would never work because of the cap, but my point is the same).

It has nothing to do with weather it was a WR at #7 or a DE or a LB.......take talent. Hit with the pick.....build around it.

Its easy to see now who we should have drafted. JJ Watt was taken 11th. Many teams missed him. And Kelce was a 3rd round pick, not top 10. Thomas was a 2nd round pick not #7.

The best you can do is keep on making picks in hope we get it right. But you don't build around a WR. A WR is what you pick when you already built your team and need 1 more guy.

Its easy to see now who we should have drafted. JJ Watt was taken 11th. Many teams missed him. And Kelce was a 3rd round pick, not top 10. Thomas was a 2nd round pick not #7.

The best you can do is keep on making picks in hope we get it right. But you don't build around a WR. A WR is what you pick when you already built your team and need 1 more guy.

So you would rather take someone less talented because he's at a position you feel is a bigger "need" when this team has limited talent everywhere?

Also, besides a QB, who can you build around?

Hate to say it because most years i disagree...but this team has to draft need this year just to field a team.

Most years i would say BPA....but this team is fucked lol. Never seen a team with so many needs. We need 2 starting WRs, a DL, 3 LBs, a S....just as starters! That doesnt even include the major needs to upgrade RG, RT and CB. PS...with 6 picks lmao.

So you would rather take someone less talented because he's at a position you feel is a bigger "need" when this team has limited talent everywhere?

All I'm saying is a WR isn't something we can waste a high pick on. And I reiterate again, you don't build around a WR. If a D player is not worthy at 7 do your damnedest to trade down even if it's an extra 3rd rather than a 2nd. We'll be better off. Especially if you think Goff stinks.

I think Tampa has shown you can build around 2 studs in the middle of your defense. We have 0.

Back