Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official MSU vs ][V][ichigan Game Thread

Link.... WTF?

Did someone already post this?

Losing 49-0 and posting Hitler on their scoreboard? Talk about taking an L!

Link.... WTF?

Did someone already post this?

Losing 49-0 and posting Hitler on their scoreboard? Talk about taking an L!

The Hitler thing is being overblown. If that was trivia night at a trendy brewery nobody would care. They do shady shit but this is pretty harmless

The Hitler thing is being overblown. If that was trivia night at a trendy brewery nobody would care. They do shady shit but this is pretty harmless

That's what you think.

I think we beat them so badly that every Spartan gave up and decided to become a Nazi last night

Jim Harbaugh: Opening statement in postgame presser:

First of I?ll say congratulations to our players, coaches, everybody. Just a tremendous job of playing football. That was one of our best games. I also want to congratulate my daughter Addie Harbaugh ? just came back, first quarter grades. Straight A's and got a first-round win in the field hockey state championship.

Only Jim Harbaugh.

The penalty at the end of the half still bugs me. Obviously doesn't change anything this game but that took a TD of the board. Jim said in his press conference that his argument to the official was that you're allowed to move backwards if you're going in motion, which was my thought too. Here's the issue with the way they called that. They called a false start which is not the right call. If anything, that should have been called an illegal shift meaning then you allow the play to happen and there would not be a 10 second runoff.

If you ARE going to call false start and apply the 10 second runoff, they should have looked at where the clock was when Edwards moved because the clock was at 12 seconds when that happened. The clock operator allowed the clock to run as if the play had happened (imagine that, clock shenanigans in EL). So it either should have left 2 seconds on the clock after a false start and 10 second runoff OR (the correct call if you're going to call a penalty) play continues, TD comes off board, 5 yard penalty assessed and Michigan ball 1st and goal with 8 seconds left.

I know it didn't make a difference in this game but it's one more example of ineptitude from the B1G officials and I hope it doesn't happen in a closer game.

The penalty at the end of the half still bugs me. Obviously doesn't change anything this game but that took a TD of the board. Jim said in his press conference that his argument to the official was that you're allowed to move backwards if you're going in motion, which was my thought too. Here's the issue with the way they called that. They called a false start which is not the right call. If anything, that should have been called an illegal shift meaning then you allow the play to happen and there would not be a 10 second runoff.

If you ARE going to call false start and apply the 10 second runoff, they should have looked at where the clock was when Edwards moved because the clock was at 12 seconds when that happened. The clock operator allowed the clock to run as if the play had happened (imagine that, clock shenanigans in EL). So it either should have left 2 seconds on the clock after a false start and 10 second runoff OR (the correct call if you're going to call a penalty) play continues, TD comes off board, 5 yard penalty assessed and Michigan ball 1st and goal with 8 seconds left.

I know it didn't make a difference in this game but it's one more example of ineptitude from the B1G officials and I hope it doesn't happen in a closer game.

It makes a BIG DIFFERENCE to me. I predicted Michigan would score 56 on MSU. If not for this blown call my prediction would have been correct! The damned refs have it out for me this season!

It makes a BIG DIFFERENCE to me. I predicted Michigan would score 56 on MSU. If not for this blown call my prediction would have been correct! The damned refs have it out for me this season!

I just pulled up the replay on Peacock. Edwards moved with 12 seconds left. They completely screwed up that call. Edwards was set, moved backwards, ball is snapped. That's a LEGAL motion since he was the only one moving. But IF you're going to call false start, there were 12 seconds when he first moved. There should have been 2 seconds left.

I really hate the fact that with all the money CFB is generating they can't get professional referees. I've watched a few NFL games this year and the officiating there is 10x better. I know it's hard to find 15 officials to cover hundreds of games each weekend but they have to get better. Hell, for that matter have the replay official on the headset with them. Not saying review penalties etc, just let someone take a quick look in the time the on-field officials are discussing and give them a quick yes/no.

That's what you think.

I think we beat them so badly that every Spartan gave up and decided to become a Nazi last night

I originally heard that it was just the trivia question. I found out this morning that it was an actual picture of Hitler in addition to the question. I still think it's relatively benign but certainly agree that a giant picture of Hitler with a big grin on his face is not a good look.

They've already issued an apology and made a commitment to do a better job of filtering what's on video boards. Think it was a dumb mistake but it's settled at this point.

I originally heard that it was just the trivia question. I found out this morning that it was an actual picture of Hitler in addition to the question. I still think it's relatively benign but certainly agree that a giant picture of Hitler with a big grin on his face is not a good look.

They've already issued an apology and made a commitment to do a better job of filtering what's on video boards. Think it was a dumb mistake but it's settled at this point.

231022-msu-billboard-hitler-ONETIMEUSE-mn-1100-13c714-710x533.webp

Sounds like some Stadium employee just streamed content from a free internet quiz without checking it out first (link). And they suspended him or her. Or maybe fired them.

It's extra funny, because if you read any of the stuff they said about Donovan Edwards last year when he liked a stupid Kanye West tweet, you knew they were going WAY overboard on a 19-year-old kid. BUt whenever Spartans get all self-righteous about how terrible all-things-UM are, they end up stepping on proverbial rakes over-and-over again...

That was our biggest win over MSU since 1947, and MSU's biggest home loss in Spartan Stadium history. Maybe their biggest home loss ever (they don't have records online like we do).

I'm actually befuddled by the fact that Michigan State decided this was the game that it would email in rather than show up for. I'm shocked, outraged, offended, and triggered!

Last edited:
I'm actually befuddled by the fact that Michigan State decided this was the game that it would email in rather than show up for. I'm shocked, outraged, offended, and triggered!

Harlon Barnett postgame presser: (link)

I watched a bit. "They were superior to us... uh... tonight." Yeah, just that night...?!?! You think?

I didn't watch much more than a couple minutes after that because I can't go to sleep right now. Talk about a low-energy guy...

Like Mel Tucker, Barnett talks in empty platitudes about accountability and discipline, but he's just going through the motions. I watched Mel's Big Ten media days schpiel before the season started, and the entire thing seemed to be cribbed word-for-word from a high school football coach handbook of what to say to your team. Mel played the part of the disciplinarian tough guy though, at least, to distinguish him from a line up of mediocre coaches. Barnett's just happy to be collecting a paycheck. I think the play on the field Saturday reflected that.

It was a little odd that the cheap shots didn't start until late in the game when it was already 35-0 or 42-0. I expected them to come out like that, but I'm happy with the result, and everyone made it out healthy, as far as we know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harlon Barnett postgame presser: (link)
Like Mel Tucker, Barnett talks in empty platitudes about accountability and discipline, but he's just going through the motions. I watched Mel's Big Ten media days schpiel before the season started, and the entire thing seemed to be cribbed word-for-word from a high school football coach handbook of what to say to your team. Mel played the part of the disciplinarian tough guy though, at least, to distinguish him from a line up of mediocre coaches. Barnett's just happy to be collecting a paycheck. I think the play on the field Saturday reflected that.

I feel a little bad for Barnett. His one opportunity to coach his alma mater he gets thrown into a dumpster fire and because of the ineptitude of the last guy you have no shot at getting the permanent job. On the other hand he was part of the staff that put the program in that position so he is at least partially to blame.
people are so sensitive. Who cares...it was just a trivia question.

That's my thoughts as well. If this was a trivia night at a brewery nobody cares. It was the wrong setting for the slideshow but I don't think this is an issue with the program, it was one dude that just put a YouTube video on the screen without knowing what it contained. That could happen to any program. Incompetence and laziness are everywhere, just happened to be that this guy had access to a video board.

Last edited:
Back