Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2021-2022 Free Agents Trades Rule 5 Arbitration Moves

I am thinking the Team and maybe most teams are going to limit the years of any contracts to 5 at the most.

4 or 5 years contracts for one position player at a max of 15 Million and same for a pitcher 4 years at 10/12/15 Million Tops depending on pitchers age and mileage on the arm. The talk is to sign a veteran pitcher who can give tips to the Mize/Skubal/Manning Trio.

Some might have missed the Gabe Ribas-Chris Fetter connection as the Tigers made another big developmental hire yesterday. But both were pitching coordinators for the Dodgers. Ribas, in fact, succeeded Fetter when Fetter moved to Univ. Michigan. They are, no surprise, simpatico.
Lynn Henning

I do find it amusing that DET thinks Zach Hess is good..he's good like Bryan Garcia is good..

I've done some analysis on Robbie Ray..short version..2021 for sure was a career year..but 2017 was a lot like 2021..if his walk rate improvement is real..he's likely gonna be good for a few years going forward..no pitcher should ever be signed for more than 5 years..have at it.

MGorosh

More reasons why the Detroit Tigers fired Tom Prince. He was officially a Dave Littlefield hire. And it's not unusual for new execs to replace the old regime w/those who are on the same page as the new hires. The new VP Player Development is almost 20 years younger than Prince.

Littlefield's replacement, Ryan Garko is all about coach development. It's not unusual for new execs to replace the old regime. New hire, Gabe Ribas worked w/coaches in the minors on data-driven development plans. Simply, the Tigers need top talent developing their top talent.

No real surprise. Hinch was making weekly calls to Prince and receiving weekly reports. The winning record means little when AAA is stacked with top prospects. As the new team takes over, the old-school friends of Leyland and Gardy (like Prince) are being pushed out.

Prince came from Pittsburgh in the hostage swap that sent Don Kelly to the Pirates. He played for both Leyland and Gardenhire and was friends with both. He came over in a year in which 2 players and 2 personnel came to Detroit from Pittsburgh. Connect the dots...

Totally Tigers

Bless You Boys is late to the show;
https://www.blessyouboys.com/2021/1...igers-minor-league-coaches-player-development
Tigers hire Gabe Ribas as Director of Pitching.
The club continues to dip into the Los Angeles Dodgers? coaching tree to improve their player development system.
BYBTB

The Detroit Tigers had good reason to start overhauling the player development structure before the regular season ended. With the Arizona Fall League starting up next week, and instructional league work set to begin, they needed to get the top seat filled in time to start hiring coaches. Ryan Garko, the Tigers new Vice-President of Player Development, has only been on the job about two weeks, and there is a lot to get in order to begin the offseason portion of the player development calendar.

The latest notable hire was announced on Tuesday by Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations and General Manager, Al Avila. The Tigers have hired Gabe Ribas into the newly created role of Director of Pitching.

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/news/ari...rospect-loaded?t=arizona-fall-league-coverage
Here are the Arizona Fall League rosters.
MLB.com

Tigers prospects participating in the
MLB Arizona Fall League:
INF Ryan Kreidler
INF Spencer Torkelson
OF Riley Greene
RHP Chavez Fernander
RHP Wilmer Flores
RHP Zack Hess
RHP Garrett Hill

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2021/1...-spencer-torkelson-riley-greene-ryan-kreidler
Spencer Torkelson and Riley Greene headline the Tigers? Arizona Fall League representatives.
The league will also implement several experimental rule changes MLB is testing.
BYBTB

https://motorcitybengals.com/2021/10/06/detroit-tigers-riley-greene-spencer-torkelson-afl/
Detroit Tigers: Riley Greene and Spencer Torkelson to the AFL.
MCBTB

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...pencer-torkelson-riley-greene-afl/6021319001/
Detroit Tigers sending Spencer Torkelson, Riley Greene to Arizona Fall League.
Freep

what have we learned today
1. HOU will extend Justin Verlander a qualifying offer..which also means somebody lost a bet to me..

This offseason will be fascinating..foe the DET Tigers its all in the hands of Chris Illitch he can either:

A. Continue to empower Hinch.
B. Turtle and default back to Avila.

B...would shock me..and shock Avila..but never underestimate the cowardly fuckery of Chris Illitch..

and HOU will also bid..albeit likely lightly for Carlos Correa..am I shocked..FUCK NO..I have tweeted both things for months.
Jim Crane on Carlos Correa?s comments that the Astros don?t do big or long deals: ?I never count anything out. We haven?t done it in the past. We have a history of something in the neighborhood of five (years) is the most we?ve ever done since I?ve been here. Things can change.?
my guess the Astros floor is 25M..Al Avila is sad today..this was his entire bad strategy..good news..NOBODY listens to Al Avila anymore..if you didn't believe me you haven't really been paying attention to whats going on at COPA.

Everyone's favorite asshole.

A decade ago -- even seven, eight years ago -- the Tigers were viewed as a generation behind in science and technology. No more gap. It's why guys like Gabe Ribas could leave the Dodgers for Detroit's pitching-director post.
Actually it?s why they needed to hire Gabe and fire their entire minor league coaching staffs at all 4 levels.. because now.. finally all of the new staffs will be competent in teaching and monitoring those skills consistently throughout the system.

Lynn Henning

Despite how much we may love JV, does it support a successful rebuild in wanting a 39 yr. old who hasn't pitched in over 1.5 years to return to the Tigers? It's not like he's going to pick up where he left off and the Tigers need multiple dependable SPs now - not down the road.
Besides, Astros owner Jim Crane just stated that JV would want a multi-year contract.

Totally Tigers

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021...discusses-correa-verlander-gurriel-baker.html
Astros Owner Jim Crane Discusses Correa, Verlander, Gurriel, Baker.
MLBTR

Last edited:
https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2021/10/07/five-for-friday/
FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

This week, we saw the annual end-of-year press conference by the Tigers in which Al Avila and A. J. Hinch took center stage.

What a difference a year makes. The window into this rebuild has opened juuuuust a little bit more. If you were listening carefully, there are some interesting takeaways beyond the actual words spoken.

Here?s my top 5 list of the most important points expressed during their time on the dais.

Back