Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2021-2022 Free Agents Trades Rule 5 Arbitration Moves

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2021/11/25/open-mike-92/
OPEN MIKE.
Totally Tigers

For all of those who ate way too much turkey yesterday, TT offers the perfect solution to help with your recovery. It?s also a good strategy for escaping the relatives.
It?s your day, your thoughts, your comments and your questions for others within this online community. And for this day only, a maximum of 10 sentences.

What?s on your mind?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021...reidler-tigers-gregorius-twins-white-sox.html
AL Central Notes: Ryan Kreidler, Tigers, Gregorius, Twins, White Sox.
MLBTR

Tigers shortstop prospect Ryan Kreidler has drawn trade interest from other teams, GM Al Avila told MLB.com?s Jason Beck and other reporters. A fourth-round pick for Detroit in the 2019 draft, Kreidler hit a combined .270/.349/.454 with 22 home runs over 550 plate appearances at the Double-A and Triple-A levels this season, saving his best offensive work (.926 OPS) for his 162 PA with Triple-A Toledo. This production came with quite a bit of swing-and-miss, but Kreidler also cut down on his strikeouts once reaching Triple-A.

It seems like the 24-year-old might be able to help a team as soon as 2022, so it isn?t surprising that clubs are eyeing Kreidler as a potential trade chip, especially considering Detroit has been checking in on the biggest names in the free agent shortstop market. Kreidler could be expendable if the Tigers sign one of those top shortstops, though Avila said that the team?s pursuit may not stop at the free agent market. Trading for a shortstop is ?possible. It?s the hardest way of doing it, but it?s possible.?

so...other teams want him, the Tigers need a SS. Maybe they already have a SS :shrug:

Tigers shortstop prospect Ryan Kreidler has drawn trade interest from other teams, GM Al Avila told MLB.com?s Jason Beck and other reporters. A fourth-round pick for Detroit in the 2019 draft, Kreidler hit a combined .270/.349/.454 with 22 home runs over 550 plate appearances at the Double-A and Triple-A levels this season, saving his best offensive work (.926 OPS) for his 162 PA with Triple-A Toledo. This production came with quite a bit of swing-and-miss, but Kreidler also cut down on his strikeouts once reaching Triple-A.

It seems like the 24-year-old might be able to help a team as soon as 2022, so it isn?t surprising that clubs are eyeing Kreidler as a potential trade chip, especially considering Detroit has been checking in on the biggest names in the free agent shortstop market. Kreidler could be expendable if the Tigers sign one of those top shortstops, though Avila said that the team?s pursuit may not stop at the free agent market. Trading for a shortstop is ?possible. It?s the hardest way of doing it, but it?s possible.?

so...other teams want him, the Tigers need a SS. Maybe they already have a SS :shrug:

I'm somewhere in the middle of the ss debate. I don't wanna give anyone a 300m contract and I also think it's really risky going into a season with a guy like Kreidler as the starter. Personally I think the safest play is to sign a guy like Chris Taylor for half the money that Correa would get. That way if Kreidler does pan out you can move Taylor to outfield or 2nd because he's so versatile.

I'm somewhere in the middle of the ss debate. I don't wanna give anyone a 300m contract and I also think it's really risky going into a season with a guy like Kreidler as the starter. Personally I think the safest play is to sign a guy like Chris Taylor for half the money that Correa would get. That way if Kreidler does pan out you can move Taylor to outfield or 2nd because he's so versatile.

I would like a guy like Taylor.

I did some searching to see what kind of contract he will likely command this off season. It is all over the board. Looks like most people think he'll get a 3 or 4 year deal @ $15M per year. Give me that all day long over a 10 year $300M for Correra.

I Am in full agreement with MGorosh on Brooks Raley and why the Tigers should be bidding for him. LH arm with a big K-rate and low exit velos. Tigers haven't outlined the BP as a serious area of need -- but it's a serious area of need.

Also an important point, for sure. It has long been explained here that nothing would happen with the Tigers until after Marian has passed.

Lynn Henning

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2021/11/26/saturday-survey-6/
SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

A general manager in baseball is the figurehead of an organization. In most cases, they have a team of people to advise them on what decisions to make. Some, but not all, also allow department heads to make decisions.

The Tigers? GM, Al Avila, has been in the position since 2015. He oversaw one year of the team attempting to get back to the playoffs. A year in which he signed Jordan Zimmermann. At the time, the Tigers did not have an analytics department.

Since the end of 2016, the Tigers were in tear-down mode as salary dumps, presumably ordered by ownership, ruled the day. Very few, if any, of the trades were deemed to be successful.

Behind the scenes, the Tigers were building an analytics department which was a stated priority for Avila.

After the 2020 season, the Tigers turned a corner. They had a huge hit in the selection of Akil Baddoo during the Rule 5 draft. Avila hired A. J. Hinch and allowed him to hand-select his own coaches. The team performed much better, having winning months since May 8th but still finishing below .500 and ending up in third place.

And in September, the Player Development department was significantly revamped with important new hires and turnover. The organization updated its personnel, strategy and player development methods.

Recently, the Tigers signed a new starting catcher and rotation pitcher in moves considered to be solid.

So how do you feel about Al Avila now? Are you more confident about his decisions?

How would you rate Al Avila as a GM today?

1. Pretty good.

2. Looking better.

3. Still have concerns.

4. Below average.

VOTE

only the man who paid Jordan Zimmerman 5/125 and Mike Pelfrey 8M would consider paying Javy Baez more than 5/125M..and I'm not even sure Avila is that dumb anymore..he got a LIttlefield-ostomy in Sept.

look Javy Baez is my 4th or 5th choice to play SS..however if I told you DET signed a SS for 4 years who had averaged 4.1 WAR 31 HR with an outstanding glove the last 3 full seasons played..nobody would complain much.

His Eminence MGorosh

when you think you are the smartest guy in the room..and..you're not..hell of a player.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021...listen-to-trade-offers-on-cedric-mullins.html
Orioles Willing To Listen To Trade Offers On Cedric Mullins.
MLBTR

The Detroit Tigers have been talking to Javier Baez as has his former team, the Mets. What advantage do the Tigers have?

Last August, Baez (and Lindor) got booed by Mets fans and they returned the favor by doing the thumbs down to the fans. Didn't go over at all well. Owner upset and apologies had to be made. Tiger fans not in the habit of mass booing which would be an appealing factor to Baez.

Totally Tigers

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2021/11/27/22804164/mlb-free-agents-javier-baez-detroit-tigers
Tigers in talks with Javier B?ez, per report.
The Magician is talented and a lot of fun, but he has some serious flaws as well.
BYBTB

https://fansided.com/2021/11/26/tigers-rumors-carlos-correa-javy-baez/?a_aid=45978
Tigers shifting focus with Carlos Correa not offering Black Friday discount.
Fansided

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...ree-agent-shortstop-linked-tigers/8769901002/
Javy Baez is latest but not the last free-agent shortstop linked to Tigers.
Detnews

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2021/1...tart-to-move-before-looming-lockout-date.html
Tigers linked to Javier Baez, but will shortstop market start to move before looming lockout date?
Mlive

Last edited:
https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2021/11/27/deeper-discussions-9/
DEEPER DISCUSSIONS.
Totally Tigers

Last week, it was revealed that a number of teams have approached the Tigers about Ryan Kreidler, who is a shortstop in the Tigers AAA farm system. He was drafted in the 4th round of the 2019 draft.

Kreidler just turned 24 and hit .270/.349/.454 with 22 HRs in AA and AAA.
He actually performed better offensively in AAA, hitting for more power and cutting down on strikeouts. His defense is described as ?stellar.?

Some say that Kreidler has the chance to be promoted as soon as sometime during this coming season.

Meanwhile, the Tigers? top priority is signing a defensively-solid shortstop.
The top free agents available are looking for 5-10 years and salaries that range from $100+ ? $300+ million. There is also a chance that Detroit may obtain one via trade.

Nevertheless, signing a new shortstop may make Kreidler expendable.

Should the Tigers hang onto him or trade him? Should they go all out and sign a top shortstop long-term? Or are they better off keeping Kreidler and trading for another shortstop with a shorter contract?

Today?s blog addresses this dilemma and allows readers to share their thoughts in more detail. And hopefully, to actively engage with others by responding to their posts and creating back-and-forth discussion threads. The more the merrier!

For this one blog only, you?ve got 10 sentences max to share your thoughts.
Of course, you can respond to as many other readers as you want.

TT will supply the ammunition. One thought-provoking question. Several options provided. One hard choice to be selected. One vote.
Ready?

Should the Tigers keep or trade Ryan Kreidler?

1. Sign top long-term SS/Trade Kreidler.

2. Trade for shorter-term SS/Keep Kreidler.

VOTE

I would like a guy like Taylor.

I did some searching to see what kind of contract he will likely command this off season. It is all over the board. Looks like most people think he'll get a 3 or 4 year deal @ $15M per year. Give me that all day long over a 10 year $300M for Correra.

Kreidler's plate discipline blows. So does Taylor and Baez. Is there a SS that doesn't cost 300m or one who doesn't swing and miss like it's there job.

The rush to sign new contracts in MLB by midnight on December 1st may potentially be in the Detroit Tigers' favor. That day is when it is expected that MLB will initiate a lockout on players.

When Max Scherzer, repped by Scott Boras, says he wants a new contract by Wednesday, it's serious. Boras notoriously waits until very late in the off-season to get his players signed.

The Tigers may have an advantage in their search for 3 more players, incl. shortstop. The urgency by players to sign sooner rather than later may just help the team keep the prices down.

Totally Tigers

Back