Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What Play was more Lionesque?

What play was more lionesque?

• Tabor Leaping Out of bounds on a back shoulder throw to his man just so his guy can score a TD

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Durham running out of bounds, throws the ball back into play for the defense to recover.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Calvin Rule. Lions arent allowed to win....so lets change the rules mid game.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Everyone saw his knee down, but Schwartz doesnt know the rules and challenged so they get a TD

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

mhughes0021

Weve had some Doozies....which one portrays what its like to be part of lions culture more than any other?

Weve had some Doozies....which one portrays what its like to be part of lions culture more than any other?

I got one? After the 97 season, the Lions drafted a quarterback from a university just down the road in southeastern Michigan.

And it wasn?t Brian Greise.

To me that was the most Lionsesque move of all times.

Granted that was a number of groans going back the time the survey poll questions are from.

Gotta be Durham....big play made, then an unbelievably stupid mistake crushes our soul.

I would also have added the Calvin fumble against Seattle. 1 ft from a big win....ball punched out to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory.....then fucked by the refs on the bat out of bounds. All on one play!!

I would also have added the Calvin fumble against Seattle. 1 ft from a big win....ball punched out to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory.....then fucked by the refs on the bat out of bounds. All on one play!!

This would get my vote. I don't think I've ever lost my shit that bad during a game before

Marty Mornhinweg "taking the wind" in OT should be up there...although I suppose that's not a "play" haha.

Orlovsky's safety was the first thing that came to mind....but there are SOOOOOO many to choose from.

The thrown flag no call PI vs dallas is also just about as lionesque as it gets. Cant have a call actually go FOR the lions...first and ONLY time ive ever seen a PI flag thrown and then picked up after a discussion lmao...only the lions.

Maybe the better poll or question is which lions loss made you lose your shit the most

90’s scott Mitchell INT athon loss to the eagles..broke TV throwing remote into it

Loss to packers couple years or so back in GB fumble to start the second half went to a very dark place for a couple of months after that one, just bad dark energy all through the holidays and all, finally forced myself to snap out of it after I think was starting to create a poltergeist. Man that was bad

There was a loss to the redskins one year also can’t rememger the year now, took baseball bat to the garage and smashed some shit up

Those would be about the only three I lost my shit over the most, not too bad really for 35 or so years of disappointing lions, all the rest of the heartbreaks and massive letdowns typical just suck the life out of me and depress more than getting upset and losing my shit, like last week after the no show at home to Seattle, went to a dark place again, took extra sleeping pills and went to bed at 6 o clock for..for example, fortunately snapped out of that one already. F’ing Lions

Last edited:
Maybe the better poll or question which lions loss made you lose your shit the most

90?s scott Mitchell INT athon loss to the eagles..broke TV throwing remote into it

Loss to packers couple years or so back in GB fumble to start the second half went to a very dark place for a couple of months after that one, just bad dark energy all through the holidays and all, finally forced myself to snap out of it after I think was starting to cause a poltergeist. Man that was bad

There was a loss to the redskins one year also can?t rememger the year now took baseball to the garage and smashed some shit up

Those would be about the only three I lost my shit over the most not too bad really for 35 or so years of disappointing lions all the rest of the heartbreaks and massive letdowns typical just suck the life out of me and depress more than getting upset and losing my shit, like last week after the no show at home to Seattle Last weeks, went to a dark place again, took extra sleeping pills and went to bed at 6 o clock for..for example

...slowly walks away...

lol.

Maybe the better poll or question which lions lose made you lose your shit the most

90?s scott Mitchell int athon lose to the eagles..broke TV throwing remote into it

Loss to packers couple years or so back in GB fumble to start the second half went to a very dark place for a couple of months after that one

Last weeks no show went to a dark place again took extra sleeping pills and went to bed at 6 o clock

There was a loss to the redskins one year also can?t rememger the year now took baseball to the garage and smashed some shit up

Those would be four I lost my shit over the most not too bad really for 35 or so years of disappointing lions all the rest of the heartbreaks and massive letdowns typical just suck the life out of me and depress more than getting upset and losing my shit

Thanksgiving 1980 DET vs Chicago - surrounded by family and extended family.. they run the kickoff back. My Mom thought I needed a Valium.

Thanksgiving 1980 DET vs Chicago - surrounded by family and extended family.. they run the kickoff back. My Mom thought I needed a Valium.

Lol, I also remember a game many years ago early 80’s maybe over at an aunt and uncles where they got blown out and one of my cousins went to his room and smashed up the shit out of his model millennium falcon

Last edited:
Lol, I also remember a game many years ago early 80?s maybe over at an aunt and uncles where they got blown out and one of my cousins went to his room and smashed up the shit out of his model millennium falcon

That's funny. In '80 I was 15 so if I had millennium falcon I might have done the same thing.

Mitch in my honest opinion you deserve a BAN for posting that hail mary clip... I feel sick even thinking about it....

Mitch in my honest opinion you deserve a BAN for posting that hail mary clip... I feel sick even thinking about it....

We should ban watching the Lions.. But I will take your suggestion under advisement.

The previous play that sent that TGD '80 game into OT was on a Lions' punt that Williams fielded and ran back for the game-tying TD as time expired, so the Lions went from being up 6 points to losing by the same amount in consecutive plays. I was watching and couldn't believe what I just saw. Little did I know @ the time that SOL was going to continue for so many decades longer.

'80 was the same season where the Lions began with a 4-0 start, prompting a few of their players to prematurely record a song using the rock band Queen's hit song "Another One Bites The Dust" as their theme song with some lyrics changed. Then the team started to lose more than they won, prompting a notable WXYZ AM radio DJ Dick Purtan, to redub it as "Another One Beats Our Butts".

Early in the '97 WC playoff game @ Buccaneers, when Mitchell was sacked and lay prone on the turf, causing the Lions' trainers to run out onto the gridiron, and not a single one of his teammates walked over to check on Scotty before he was carted off the field..lol.

The following season Fontes was fired as Lions' HC, and replaced with Bobby Ross. IIRC in their game @ Bengals, QB Mitchell tossed two early INTs, the second a pick-6. Scotty slunk off the field, to as far down the Lions sideline as he could get from Ross, whose face had turned beet-red, and was shaking his clenched fists in pure rage. He was replaced as QB, and that was the last game and season that Mitchell played in a Lions uni. Was very surprised when the Ravens, then Bengals picked him up, since his penchant for tossing INTs continued with both as well.

Spotting nearly every opponent 21 points or more during their infamous 0-16 season. WTG Marinated!!

After the '74 season the Lions star WR in Ron Jessie signed with the LA Rams as a FA. Back then a franchise losing a player to FA were being compensated with a player from the signing club. The Lions picked their RB/KR Cullen Bryant, who flatly refused to report to his new team, and was allowed to remain with the Rams by the NFL, while Bryant's resulting lawsuit was being settled. Cullen won the suit, changing the FA comp from a player to a draft-pick. The Lions, of course, played out the '75 season with neither player on their roster and no draft pick.

Last edited:
Back