Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Will there be college football this fall?

Will there be college football this fall?

• Yes, coronavirus isn't real.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Trump will figure it out for us.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes, probably things will just get better by September.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, are you nuts?

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No, is this a real question? Have you been paying attention?

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No, everything is going to shit, and we'll all be in hell soon.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Someone is going to play.

Maybe not Michigan.

You didn’t provide a voting option for this.

Someone is going to play.

Maybe not Michigan.

You didn?t provide a voting option for this.
The poll question is: "Will there be college football this fall?" NOT "Will there be Michigan football this fall?"

The poll question is: "Will there be college football this fall?" NOT "Will there be Michigan football this fall?"

And I answered ?yes? in the post - there will be at least one game.

It won?t be because any of the ?yes? options. None of them are true now but MLB started and NBA is about to.

Also this is a thread that on the face of it should have been originated on the politics board - and the OP should have known that.

I think a max of a few weeks are played and then it's shutdown.

Maybe the SEC and ACC play the whole year because MA FREEDOMS!

I think a max of a few weeks are played and then it's shutdown.

Maybe the SEC and ACC play the whole year because MA FREEDOMS!

Vandy should literally build a football bubble/biodome and then once they’re the last team standing and not decimated by COVID they can be declared SEC champions (for the first time ever) and then by default NCAA champions

Last edited:
Vandy should literally build a football bubble/biodome and then once they?re the last team standing and not decimated by COVID they can be declared SEC champions (for the first time ever) and then by default NCAA champions

Good idea. They would probably need to win their first SEC game against Mizzou to pull it off. After that game, and Mizzou spreading the virus to them, they can reisolate in their bubble and claim an undefeated season of 1-0.

After seeing the news on IU's offensive lineman, Brady Feeney, and then reading this article this morning, they really need to cancel the season. The long term effects are not worth the risk of playing this season.

If you're unfamiliar with Feeney, he is now battling heart issues after contracting the virus. His mom shared this yesterday.

both of those statements are probably true

The billions of dollars is true.

The percentage to die in the college football demographic will be way way less.

A lot of college football players will die from shit related to having played college football, but not the Covid.

COVID-19 is probably the least dangerous thing about playing college football.

The billions of dollars is true.

The percentage to die in the college football demographic will be way way less.

A lot of college football players will die from shit related to having played college football, but not the Covid.

COVID-19 is probably the least dangerous thing about playing college football.

I haven't read any articles about any college football players dying from COVID but I know at least one that has been shot and killed.

It looks like total revenue for the 130 FBS schools comes out to around $4 BILLION. It appears that includes both TV money and tickets and concessions, and you can assume the latter two revenue streams will be greatly decreased EVEN IF the authorities tell people to go to games, and many won't, even here in Texas.

There are ~16,000 FBS players.

Various federal agencies value human life from a high of $9MM (EPA in 2010) to a low of $6MM (Dept of Transportation).
- at a 1% fatality rate, assuming they play the whole season and everyone gets it, that's 160 dead student athletes. that comes to a human cost of $1.44 BILLION to $960 MM.- That's only about 1/4 of the total FBS revenue for the year!!
- HOWEVER... It doesn't include the cost of treating players who get it, and the long term care for the ~20% that have health complications that continue for months after. I'm not sure how you calculate that. Health care in our shithole country is really expensive because we let "the market" determine prices instead of just providing health care for everyone...

I digress. presumably not all 16K players will get it. But some coaches and family and friends of players will get it. As the Rutgers case shows, you can't count on 18-23-year-old idiots actually following quarantine rules. They'll be out partying and banging jersey chasers 5 minutes after practice.

Also, in addition to the loss of revenue from ticket sales and concessions, presumably some % of fans are decent human beings who would shy away from tuning in after the body count starts piling up, and they get horrified that college coaches and administrators would sacrifice kids in order to pay their seven-figure salaries, so TV revenue would undoubtedly fall during the season...

Seems like not playing should be a no-brainer to me, but what do I know?

I'm sure a lot of my fellow Americans would scoff at placing a value on human life (other than their own) anywhere north of $1MM, so... and it's not like anyone actually has to be out-of-pocket $9-$6MM when someone dies... society bears the cost. Immunize the programs and NCAA from lawsuits, and it's practically victimless.

I say go for it! Fuck it! Play football. See what happens. It can't be that bad, right? It's not like the pessimists have been batting 1.000 since March... oh wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like total revenue for the 130 FBS schools comes out to around $4 BILLION. It appears that includes both TV money and tickets and concessions, and you can assume the latter two revenue streams will be greatly decreased EVEN IF the authorities tell people to go to games, and many won't, even here in Texas.

There are ~16,000 FBS players.

Various federal agencies value human life from a high of $9MM (EPA in 2010) to a low of $6MM (Dept of Transportation).
- at a 1% fatality rate, assuming they play the whole season and everyone gets it, that's 160 dead student athletes. that comes to a human cost of $1.44 BILLION to $960 MM.- That's only about 1/4 of the total FBS revenue for the year!!
- HOWEVER... It doesn't include the cost of treating players who get it, and the long term care for the ~20% that have health complications that continue for months after. I'm not sure how you calculate that. Health care in our shithole country is really expensive because we let "the market" determine prices instead of just providing health care for everyone...

I digress. presumably not all 16K players will get it. But some coaches and family and friends of players will get it. As the Rutgers case shows, you can't count on 18-23-year-old idiots actually following quarantine rules. They'll be out partying and banging jersey chasers 5 minutes after practice.

Also, in addition to the loss of revenue from ticket sales and concessions, presumably some % of fans are decent human beings who would shy away from tuning in after the body count starts piling up, and they get horrified that college coaches and administrators would sacrifice kids in order to pay their seven-figure salaries, so TV revenue would undoubtedly fall during the season...

Seems like not playing should be a no-brainer to me, but what do I know?

I'm sure a lot of my fellow Americans would scoff at placing a value on human life (other than their own) anywhere north of $1MM, so... and it's not like anyone actually has to be out-of-pocket $9-$6MM when someone dies... society bears the cost. Immunize the programs and NCAA from lawsuits, and it's practically victimless.

I say go for it! Fuck it! Play football. See what happens. It can't be that bad, right? It's not like the pessimists have been batting 1.000 since March... oh wait.

so far the death rate for 18-23 year old males is > 0.2%

the Ivy league has already cancelled.

These facts might change your "calculations"

I think that College Football in its present state should be cancelled, but not because of COVID-19, but, rather, because it exploits these young men to compete for the benefit and amusement of an-ultimate very few individuals.

Back