Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Will there be college football this fall?

Will there be college football this fall?

• Yes, coronavirus isn't real.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Trump will figure it out for us.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes, probably things will just get better by September.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, are you nuts?

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No, is this a real question? Have you been paying attention?

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No, everything is going to shit, and we'll all be in hell soon.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do I win a prize yet?

Same price as everybody else who would have voted if that had been an option.

Except the only thing is things actually aren?t worse. Cases, hospitalizations and deaths are all down, and remedies are being improved almost daily.

D1 CFB is a profit center, and it is manipulated accordingly to maximize profit. The winners are not the teams, and not even the champions. The winners are Disney, Nike, ATT, Capital One, Coca Cola, Google, et.al.

The shells are the "matchups" "rivalries" and "traditions" -- and especially the Garbage Bowl games ... the pea would be our gain and benefit, but it's all a canard; a prevarication; a lie -- and we keep pointing at the shells, and they continually turn up empty, because the game constantly repeats year in and out, and our memories are short, especially when it comes to losing. So, we keep on playing the game that we can never win.

Except I've retired.

This national championship comedy? It's kabuki for the masses to remain engaged in the sport for as long as possible to make money for the "partners."

Thing is, the big business and the big money is relatively new. It’s a byproduct of the explosion in communications technologies that occurred after you and I started watching college football in the 60s.

Probably when you and I started watching, the game was not much different than it had been a decade before, or two decades before, or five decades before, or longer.

To me the reasons I started following college football and continue to do so still remain, regardless of the change in economics.

Every time I look at that beautiful stadium on my television – which I wouldn’t be doing if it weren’t for the enhanced capabilities of technology that have been developed – I’m transported back to the days of my youth, ushering alums to their seats as part of the scout usher program, and then sitting and watching the games from the stone cold stadium steps.

Except for I’m a lot more comfortable.

Now, a few weeks away from 60, that shit would probably be pretty old.

Really quick - speaking to exploitation – the players definitely are sharing in the wealth. Perhaps that comes after college football ends, and maybe that should be addressed, but wealth opportunities for players are substantially greater than they used to be.

Last edited:
Same price as everybody else who would have voted if that had been an option.

Except the only thing is things actually aren?t worse. Cases, hospitalizations and deaths are all down, and remedies are being improved almost daily.

Not sold yet that things are getting worse this football season? OK. We'll just have to revisit it later.

Thing is, the big business and the big money is relatively new. It?s a byproduct of the explosion in communications technologies that occurred after you and I started watching college football in the 60s.

Probably when you and I started watching, the game was not much different than it had been a decade before, or two decades before, or five decades before, or longer.

To me the reasons I started following college football and continue to do so still remain, regardless of the change in economics.

Every time I look at that beautiful stadium on my television ? which I wouldn?t be doing if it weren?t for the enhanced capabilities of technology that have been developed ? I?m transported back to the days of my youth, ushering alums to their seats as part of the scout usher program, and then sitting and watching the games from the stone cold stadium steps.

Except for I?m a lot more comfortable.

Now, a few weeks away from 60, that shit would probably be pretty old.

Really quick - speaking to exploitation ? the players definitely are sharing in the wealth. Perhaps that comes after college football ends, and maybe that should be addressed, but wealth opportunities for players are substantially greater than they used to be.

So true

You might want to take a gander at this https://www.britannica.com/sports/gridiron-football/College-footballs-golden-age

LOL, flu kills more people every year, and coronavirus is made up anyway

In the last month, the modeled upcoming peak has broadened. Instead of things getting worse from here to mid-December (peaking around 50% worse than it is now) the projection is for it to be bad for the next several months. They only project 4 months at a time and it all looks bad now, peaking in January and roughly where it is now in March.

I'm not so sure these masks even work. Where I live masks are mandatory and everyone is wearing them but the numbers are higher now than ever.

I'm not so sure these masks even work. Where I live masks are mandatory and everyone is wearing them but the numbers are higher now than ever.

Masks help, but it still matters what people do while they are wearing masks. If you are in an enclosed room with a masked person, the mask may buy you time, but there are still microdroplets being added to the air and eventually someone will inhale enough of them.

People need to use their heads beyond just following guidelines and checklists. Or they need to stay home. You go to a grocery store (which I am not for the next few months) and there's a big plastic shield between the cashier and the customer on the other side of the scanner, but there's another customer right behind the cashier, like 1 foot away checking out on the next lane over and there's nothing between them. Fucking stupid. Should be using every other or every third lane, tops.

LOL, flu kills more people every year, and coronavirus is made up anyway

I know, right?

The only negative outcome of the college football season regarding the Covid (this IS a college football thread on the Michigan Wolverines sports board) is so far, not a single Michigan game has been cancelled.

Having read many studies that indicated that homemade masks can reduce ?exposure to respiratory infections?, it?s somewhat intuitive as well. But they in no way prevent the transmission of infectious mucous. Not by even a safe margin. This study from 2008 is telling, because of its publication date. link.

But people don?t seem to realize that masks alone are woefully insufficient, and they think that it allows for ?normal? behavior. Those who get inside the ?safe zone? are risking infecting others and being infected.

It would be better that they not wear a mask and keep their distance.

However, the hysteria that CV19 is injecting among the ?public? is as or more harmful than the virus itself. Hundreds of millions of people are infected with that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AfZ2jO-b8tE

If people actually kept their masks on the whole time, I bet it would be better. I know, I know, it's just an opinion...

Where I live, you can go eat at a restaurant or bar, but regardless of whether you're inside or outside, you have to keep your mask on until your food and/or drink gets to the table, then you can take it off. there's no limit on how long you can stay inside eating and drinking.

So in a social setting, despite the "mask mandate" people may still end up spending hours together in an indoor space, with air circulating amongst all of them, and no masks on.

This is never going to end...

At this point, we should try to avoid going into places where other people have been for the last several hours. Maybe you were only in an office with someone for 10 minutes and stayed 6 feet away with a mask, but if they were in that office for an hour before you got there, that changes things.

Maybe we should bring back smoking. If everybody smokes all the time, we'll know where it's ok to be based on the smoke concentration.

Back