Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Will there be college football this fall?

Will there be college football this fall?

• Yes, coronavirus isn't real.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Trump will figure it out for us.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Yes, probably things will just get better by September.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, are you nuts?

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No, is this a real question? Have you been paying attention?

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No, everything is going to shit, and we'll all be in hell soon.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think that College Football in its present state should be cancelled, but not because of COVID-19, but, rather, because it exploits these young men to compete for the benefit and amusement of an-ultimate very few individuals.

it amuses tens of millions of people every week. Heck, when fans are allowed to attend games, over 1M fans attend games every week.

B1G delayed releasing this season's schedule because Rutgers had 28 football players test positive for COVID. They were supposed to announce the schedule today.

Apparently some staff tested positive as well.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
it amuses tens of millions of people every week. Heck, when fans are allowed to attend games, over 1M fans attend games every week.

Gotta be way more than that. There?s probably over a million for each of the Power 5 Conferences.

The amusers are amused by us who are amused and manipulated by them is my point. CFB is a shell game with no pea.

The amusers are amused by us who are amused and manipulated by them is my point. CFB is a shell game with no pea.
"I find a lot of the things they do amusing. They need to check themselves sometimes. Let?s just remember, pride comes before the fall." -MD

Originally Posted by byco42 View Post

clear as mud

D1 CFB is a profit center, and it is manipulated accordingly to maximize profit. The winners are not the teams, and not even the champions. The winners are Disney, Nike, ATT, Capital One, Coca Cola, Google, et.al.

The shells are the "matchups" "rivalries" and "traditions" -- and especially the Garbage Bowl games ... the pea would be our gain and benefit, but it's all a canard; a prevarication; a lie -- and we keep pointing at the shells, and they continually turn up empty, because the game constantly repeats year in and out, and our memories are short, especially when it comes to losing. So, we keep on playing the game that we can never win.

Except I've retired.

This national championship comedy? It's kabuki for the masses to remain engaged in the sport for as long as possible to make money for the "partners."

Last edited:
It's crazy that most of this grew from ad money, which is money spent for the opportunity to influence our spending.

This national championship comedy? It's kabuki for the masses ...

karl-marx-wikimedia-commons-190x256.jpg

"You say kabuki of the masses, I say opiate of the masses. Either way, we agree, comrade."

It's crazy that most of this grew from ad money, which is money spent for the opportunity to influence our spending.

We've touched on this before, but that's the reason Walter Byers ended up regretting how he setup the NCAA. He realized it was no longer a viable model when the TV contracts grew to be so large. He reversed course and stated that players most definitely should be paid. His memoir is a personal takedown, and apology, for everything he built.

"Each generation of young persons come along and all they ask is, 'Coach, give me a chance, I can do it.' And it's a disservice to these young people that the management of intercollegiate athletics stays in place committed to an outmoded code of amateurism.

"And I attribute that to, quite frankly, to the neo-plantation mentality that exists on the campuses of our country and in the conference offices and in the NCAA. The coach owns the athlete's feet, the college owns the athlete's body and the athlete's mind is supposed to comprehend a rulebook that I challenge Dave Berst, who's sitting down in this audience, to explain in rational terms to you inside of eight hours."

https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2017/10/13/walter-byers-ncaa

D1 football is the engine that supports the rest of the sports. There are over 161K D1 athletes and the majority of them get some sort of scholarship ($2.7B in scholarships 2018-2019). 73,500+ women get athletic scholarships and my guess is outside of the U Conn women's basketball team, every single women's program loses money.

The winners are 95-98% of the 161,000 student athletes that get a free education knowing that they have no future in sports.

D1 football is the engine that supports the rest of the sports. There are over 161K D1 athletes and the majority of them get some sort of scholarship ($2.7B in scholarships 2018-2019). 73,500+ women get athletic scholarships and my guess is outside of the U Conn women's basketball team, every single women's program loses money.

The winners are 95-98% of the 161,000 student athletes that get a free education knowing that they have no future in sports.

So the ends justify the means.

The Sackler family argues that the opiate for the masses should be opiates.

Turns out to be a very profitable idea.

I wonder who the history buff in the family was, who said "Look how rich the British and Steve Forbes' ancestors got peddling opium to the Chinese. Why don't we try peddling it ... to Americans :cheers:"

Turns out to be a very profitable idea.

I wonder who the history buff in the family was, who said "Look how rich the British and Steve Forbes' ancestors got peddling opium to the Chinese. Why don't we try peddling it ... to Americans :cheers:"

The elite has been pushing drugs on the profane for a long time now. And then it has been jailing them for taking the bait. Unless, of course, you are a scion of an elitist. Then you get "treatment."

Last edited:
The elite has been pushing drugs on the profane for a long time now. And then it has been jailing them for taking the bait. Unless, of course, you are a scion of an elitist. Then you get "treatment."

I hate the term "elite" because it carries the connotation (to me at least) that they did something, or have something that formed the basis for their success, other than base, unquenchable greed, and a willingness to do and say whatever to that end. Nothing elite about that.

Not each week. Not every stadium is Michigan Stadium.

Right.

It would be more like in the neighborhood of a half million a week per conference.

I was thinking the B1G, for example, would have 14 stadiums active stadiums for each week ? obviously during conference season there would only be six or seven with attendance, duh.

According to this, college football attendance was 47,500,000 + last season.

About 3,000,000 a week over 16 weeks.

Back