Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

With the 6th pick... the detroit lions select

With the 6th pick... the Lions should focus on improving what?

• Qb of the future. 3rd/4th qb off the board. Stroud or Levis

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Trenches. A Clemson dlineman. Murphy DE or Breese DT

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Run game. A RB?! Bijan Robinson or best G in draft Skoronsky

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Secondary..Reach for a CB to fill a need. Cam Smith/Porter Jr

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Fuck this I'm out... trade down

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters
I don't understand people pushing for a qb of the future. Did Goff not show he can play? 28 years old? Put up pro bowl numbers? Is clearly a leader on the team...on and off the field? Wants to be here? Has a reasonable contract? Why would we not want this guy as THE guy? His deep ball improved drastically throughout the year and you could see his confidence come back. You give the guy another year and if the team is underperforming, you take a QB next year. No reason to mess with team chemistry by telling the starting QB that everyone on the teams loves that his job has a countdown on it. Until Goff shows he can't help us win, any QB drafted should be after the 3rd round.

Goff played really really well. Even I worry that 2019/2020/early 2021 Goff could show up again even with Ben Johnson back.

Wouldn't mind a QB to push Goff
1) that QB clearly needs to work out in the future and be a great choice starting in 2024 or really most likely 2025 or we wasted opportunity getting a good defensive player. The armchair, Monday morning GMs will be all over any awesome 2023 QB we don't get if Goff regresses though
2) it would be nice to have a great backup QB situation for the first time in a long time so the season might not be lost if Goff gets hurt since Lions actually will have a shot at the playoffs in 2023
3) if the defensive player is clearly higher ranked than a QB at 6 or 18, then it's a really tough choice because this team still needs big time defensive talent. Now QB at 18 and awesome defenders in Round 2 and Round 3 and FA and awesome defender at pick 6 would be great too. But Holmes has to change his Round 2 track record at least with injury health (Levi and Paschal injuries bad luck so far)
4) I don't like the idea of giving up picks to move up for a QB at all

Goff played really really well. Even I worry that 2019/2020/early 2021 Goff could show up again even with Ben Johnson back.

Wouldn't mind a QB to push Goff
1) that QB clearly needs to work out in the future and be a great choice starting in 2024 or really most likely 2025 or we wasted opportunity getting a good defensive player. The armchair, Monday morning GMs will be all over any awesome 2023 QB we don't get if Goff regresses though
2) it would be nice to have a great backup QB situation for the first time in a long time so the season might not be lost if Goff gets hurt since Lions actually will have a shot at the playoffs in 2023
3) if the defensive player is clearly higher ranked than a QB at 6 or 18, then it's a really tough choice because this team still needs big time defensive talent. Now QB at 18 and awesome defenders in Round 2 and Round 3 and FA and awesome defender at pick 6 would be great too. But Holmes has to change his Round 2 track record at least with injury health (Levi and Paschal injuries bad luck so far)
4) I don't like the idea of giving up picks to move up for a QB at all

We have the #6, #18 and multiple picks after. If we see one we like and can be the QB of the future, now?s the time to get him.

I don't understand people pushing for a qb of the future. Did Goff not show he can play? 28 years old? Put up pro bowl numbers? Is clearly a leader on the team...on and off the field? Wants to be here? Has a reasonable contract? Why would we not want this guy as THE guy? His deep ball improved drastically throughout the year and you could see his confidence come back. You give the guy another year and if the team is underperforming, you take a QB next year. No reason to mess with team chemistry by telling the starting QB that everyone on the teams loves that his job has a countdown on it. Until Goff shows he can't help us win, any QB drafted should be after the 3rd round.

Goff has been a Lion for 2-years now. In that 2-years, he?s giving us half a season of good football. If we were talking about a 1st or 2nd year QB who ended the season like he did, I?d say yes we have something to build on. Unfortunately for Goff, he?s been in the league for six years. He?s mediocre, maybe slightly higher. I don?t think he?s the guy to pay $30+ Mil too and expect next level results. I?ll take my chances w a young prospect making making $9 mil a year for the next 4-5 seasons and build that way.

He had them before and the Rams didn't want him any more. I don't have a problem with Goff but nothing wrong drafting a QB even if he has to sit for 2-3-4 years. Like Favre or Rodgers to name a couple. Especially a year where we have 2 first round picks. And team chemistry or undermining the current QB are excuses.

I think it just sends the team a divisive message. Goff didn't play poorly, he's still young and has a good contract. Drafting a 1st round QB when your guy isn't even 30 is writing on the wall that he's gone soon and all that "family" talk Campbell has been doing is meaningless. Take a project QB in round 3 or 4. Unless Bryce Young falls to us, i don't want any part of the top guys this year.

I think it just sends the team a divisive message. Goff didn't play poorly, he's still young and has a good contract. Drafting a 1st round QB when your guy isn't even 30 is writing on the wall that he's gone soon and all that "family" talk Campbell has been doing is meaningless. Take a project QB in round 3 or 4. Unless Bryce Young falls to us, i don't want any part of the top guys this year.

But if he reverts back to a prior year we might miss out on someone. Not sure I want a QB or not in the first round but I wouldn't rule it out. If it makes Goff not wanted or something then too bad. Competition can sometimes be a good thing.

Reactions: 503
But if he reverts back to a prior year we might miss out on someone. Not sure I want a QB or not in the first round but I wouldn't rule it out. If it makes Goff not wanted or something then too bad. Competition can sometimes be a good thing.

I think Goff would understand and know he is the starter for 2023 and 2024 if he plays well. Also for any Goff haters out there, if you can have success with Goff with Ben Johnson and this Oline and these weapons and run game, you might be able to have success with Round 2 or 3 QB if they get some experience too. You never know, lots of factors like talent, how they learn and develop and coaching and who the Lions have around them. Would you take an injury risk later on Herndon Hooker on day 2. But as Holmes said, it's easy to get worse at QB with a change too. Goff is the guy for 2023 clearly for that season at least.

Always great to have a talented good backup to not derail a season

It boils down to who is the best long term and talented player on the board at the time at pick 6 and pick 18. Otherwise, waiting until Round 2 or 3 or even later could happen for a backup QB. If Holmes could find a Brock Purdy, that would be even better.

Plus we might know before the draft even with free agency in March. If they spend decent on a veteran backup, then maybe they don't take a QB in the 2023 draft but still have the option too. Depends on the structure of that contract and who is the veteran backup. Always have 3 through camp at least but would need a roster spot for 3 if we draft one early. So lose a little depth elsewhere, extra LB or RB.

Tons of starters and backups UFAs this year. We won't be looking for starter but can nab a veteran backup. Drew Lock is actually kind of an intriguing project for Ben Johnson/Brunell IMO for a backup.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

Last edited:
I agree with Holmes when he said it's easier to get worse at QB than it is to get better.

Better backup should be an off season priority though our back ups have been a parade of jokes for far too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: LKP
And for all worried about Goff on the road in weather
At Saints (Dome)
at Tampa (warm)
at Chargers (Dome)
at KC (could be factor or also could be in Germany which would be awesome)
at Minnesota (Dome and need some revenge her, Week 18 would be nice for that in 2023 season)
at Baltimore (weather factor depending when the game is but never that cold)
at Green Bay (just went there Week 18 for a win so maybe earlier in year)
at Chicago (won there in November but could be cold and windy
at Dallas (Dome, maybe we have our WRs for this game)

I've realized that Jalen Carter won't be there at 6. I would be okay if Brad Holmes trades up to 3 to take him(assuming QBs go 1-2). I would take both firsts or our #6, 48 and 81. I would prefer both firsts. I think Holmes does more with non first round picks.

Just another option but one where we get one of the top two defensive player and best DT. I think Carter makes more impact than Bresee and Cam Smith.

Agree... I'm not a fan of Breese or Myles Murphy. I actually think kj henry from their team in rd3 is way better value.

If one of the top QBs falls, the team would have to take them. Don't trade up, though. There is a near zero chance that happens.

If Carter falls, take him. Also not worth trading up, he's good but not Aaron Donald. Only a slightly better chance of this than Stroud/Young falling.

If Levis is still on the board, trade down. Some team will fall in love with him and panic when he's suddenly in a more tradable spot. All 4 teams picking after us badly need a QB. And their biggest hurdle is each other. There is a decent chance of this happening, since I don't think Levis is actually that good, but as good or better a chance teams trade with Arizona if they really love him.

If the QB run is gone, and Carter is off the board, take CB1. I'd be fine with Bresee or Murphy (Wilson seems too run-oriented for the modern NFL), but we need a shutdown CB badly. We wait until 18, and we're picking the best of whoever is still around. Just take the best guy now, and sort out the rest later.

If one of the top QBs falls, the team would have to take them. Don't trade up, though. There is a near zero chance that happens.

If Carter falls, take him. Also not worth trading up, he's good but not Aaron Donald. Only a slightly better chance of this than Stroud/Young falling.

If Levis is still on the board, trade down. Some team will fall in love with him and panic when he's suddenly in a more tradable spot. All 4 teams picking after us badly need a QB. And their biggest hurdle is each other. There is a decent chance of this happening, since I don't think Levis is actually that good, but as good or better a chance teams trade with Arizona if they really love him.

If the QB run is gone, and Carter is off the board, take CB1. I'd be fine with Bresee or Murphy (Wilson seems too run-oriented for the modern NFL), but we need a shutdown CB badly. We wait until 18, and we're picking the best of whoever is still around. Just take the best guy now, and sort out the rest later.

I think the 3rd qb will still be there at 6.... hopefully creating some nice value for us.

I think the 3rd qb will still be there at 6.... hopefully creating some nice value for us.

I want to agree, but past drafts make me think teams are just going to get crazy. The 2021 draft is a nightmare here. I know the Bears have said they love Fields, but the dude is one of the worst throwers in the league. I think there's a much better than 50% chance they actually take QB1. That means Houston takes QB2. At that point, everyone in the world knows they need to jump Indy to take QB3.

I'd give it 40% that Levis is still on the board. Whereas I think sticking where we are and taking BPA is probably 55-59%.

My hope is Houston and indy go qb. Making Carolina and jets think about jumping vegas for 3rd qb off the board. Even if one of those teams gets a tom Brady they should still want a top qb prospect.

Last edited:
I changed my mind, go QB. Goff isn't the long term answer.. He wasn't all that different than he was last season for first 10 games or so. After that he had some great games but still inconsistent. CB too early, DE not priority, LB no worthy.

Reactions: 503
I changed my mind, go QB. Goff isn't the long term answer.. He wasn't all that different than he was last season for first 10 games or so. After that he had some great games but still inconsistent. CB too early, DE not priority, LB no worthy.

I?m w you 100%. We have the draft capital to move up and get the guy we want. Now?s the time!

I?m w you 100%. We have the draft capital to move up and get the guy we want. Now?s the time!

Goff was 3rd in QBR throwing the football. While I agree he may not be prime Aaron Rodgers?..this team has much more glaring needs.

SF is in the NFC title game with fuckin Brock Purdy.

Build the defense. Goff is fine.

Goff was 3rd in QBR throwing the football. While I agree he may not be prime Aaron Rodgers?..this team has much more glaring needs.

SF is in the NFC title game with fuckin Brock Purdy.

Build the defense. Goff is fine.

Not sure where you got 3rd from. And even if it's 5th or 7th, QBR/passer rating was much worse through the first 9 games. I'm not comfortable with "you're the guy" because of a few really good games at the end.

And QBR much of that is because the OL and few sacks. Sacks count in the QBR algorithm. And not even a pro bowl selection. Maybe he gets in ala Stafford ..

Last edited:
Back