Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

With the 6th pick... the detroit lions select

With the 6th pick... the Lions should focus on improving what?

• Qb of the future. 3rd/4th qb off the board. Stroud or Levis

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Trenches. A Clemson dlineman. Murphy DE or Breese DT

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Run game. A RB?! Bijan Robinson or best G in draft Skoronsky

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Secondary..Reach for a CB to fill a need. Cam Smith/Porter Jr

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Fuck this I'm out... trade down

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters
Most teams aren't though. And by the time we build a team like SF, Goff might be retired.

Draft really well and it can happen pretty quickly...you just have to hit on your picks. Using two first round picks on a QB when you have a top 12 QB and in need of a bunch of defensive players doesn't make too much sense. Now, if he IS the next Joe Burrow or Mahomes then do it. But if he ends up being Zach Wilson or Sam Darnold you have set your team back.

Draft really well and it can happen pretty quickly...you just have to hit on your picks. Using two first round picks on a QB when you have a top 12 QB and in need of a bunch of defensive players doesn't make too much sense. Now, if he IS the next Joe Burrow or Mahomes then do it. But if he ends up being Zach Wilson or Sam Darnold you have set your team back.

You don't know if you don't try. Its hard to get a Maholmes if you don't take a QB, almost 100%. And a QB only takes 1 pick. Those defensive players at pick 6, LB - none. CB - hard no. DE maybe but I think QB is more a need.

A thought. Since we like to draft players with big injuries that hardly player year 1, draft Hendon Hooker. Then you can draft a DE and CB in the first round.

A thought. Since we like to draft players with big injuries that hardly player year 1, draft Hendon Hooker. Then you can draft a DE and CB in the first round.

Like the talent, don?t like the thought of drafting a 25year old QB who will miss his first season?

Goff, Carr, Dak, Cousins, all the same QB. All those guys will eat your salary, can?t and won?t put a team on their back and keep you in mediocrity for however long you have them. If mediocrity is what you want, Goff is your guy.

You don't know if you don't try. Its hard to get a Maholmes if you don't take a QB, almost 100%. And a QB only takes 1 pick. Those defensive players at pick 6, LB - none. CB - hard no. DE maybe but I think QB is more a need.

If they want the best QB in the draft, they are most likely going to have to package 6 & 18 to get him

Not sure where you got 3rd from. And even if it's 5th or 7th, QBR/passer rating was much worse through the first 9 games. I'm not comfortable with "you're the guy" because of a few really good games at the end.

Not rating....QBR. They break QBR down. If you choose how well a QB performed just in his PASSING plays.....Goff was the 3rd best QB if football last year......behind only Mahomes and Justin Herbert. Once you add in running with the football......Goff falls to 5th overall and DEAD LAST in running plays. BEHIND Tom Brady. Ouch.

I simply don't understand wasting MASSIVE draft capital on a position that is performing at an already high level.

Use the capital we have to build a really good, young, defense. You seem to get so stuck on VALUE of where a player is drafted. Pick good players and value is almost irrelevant. Sauce was the 4th overall pick and the 2nd CB taken.....think the Jets are kicking themselves because they lost value by taking a CB at 4?

It's like you and 503 are looking at the Lions.....seeing that the offense and QB performed at high levels......seeing the defense is historically bad and cost us at least 4 games......and you've come to the conclusion that to get better we need to use not 1 but 2 first round picks to draft a QB.

BRILLIANT!!!

Last edited:
Not rating....QBR. They break QBR down. If you choose how well a QB performed just in his PASSING plays.....Goff was the 3rd best QB if football last year......behind only Mahomes and Justin Herbert. Once you add in running with the football......Goff falls to 5th overall and DEAD LAST in running plays. BEHIND Tom Brady. Ouch.

I simply don't understand wasting MASSIVE draft capital on a position that is performing at an already high level.

Use the capital we have to build a really good, young, defense. You seem to get so stuck on VALUE of where a player is drafted. Pick good players and value is almost irrelevant. Sauce was the 4th overall pick and the 2nd CB taken.....think the Jets are kicking themselves because they lost value by taking a CB at 4?

It's like you and 503 are looking at the Lions.....seeing that the offense and QB performed at high levels......seeing the defense is historically bad and cost us at least 4 games......and you've come to the conclusion that to get better we need to use not 1 but 2 first round picks to draft a QB.

BRILLIANT!!!

Great points.

I keep going back to the 49ers because they area a very interesting team as far as how they are put together. They had great offensive talent, a great defense, and a QB worse than Goff (Jimmy G). At that point they went all in on drafting a rookie QB (3 first round picks) thinking they could upgrade and get a QB with a rookie salary in order to pay the rest of the team. Well, that hasn't worked out, but their plan C (a 7th round rookie) is filling in nicely.

This is what Detroit needs to do. Build a very solid team up and down the ENITRE roster first and then if Goff isn't what they want, find something else.

I would take a project QB in the 5th or 6th round this year. See if they can develop him behind the scenes and maybe eliminate the need to spend high draft capital on in a QB in the future. Low risk move.

Goff gives us a better chance to win in 2023, probably 2024 too. Am I scared he reverts back to old 2019-2021 Goff or the Lions get a bunch of injuries to weapons/Oline and it causes Goff to play bad too? Yes, but not as much now since we keep Ben Johnson and Goff did prove lots of good things end 2021/2022 (and 2017/2018).

I don't know if a rookie QB would play well for the Lions either if a bunch of injuries happened. Richardson or Levis I have questions about them. And after seeing how bad Malik Willis was and how far he dropped, well you always have questions about QB gambles. I think Johnson and Brunell can get the most out of QBs though and the rookie will have a nicely built Oline and weapons and run game.

I think I'm more concerned on 2023/2024 success than I am having a long term QB for the future in 2024 and beyond. Especially because there isn't a QB I'm set on this class (even Bryce Young). No QB gambles yet, build out the roster with pick 6 and pick 18 (or trade down from pick 6 if you can). I will trust them if they go QB though and will know what we did in FA at that point too. 2023 Free agency activity could determine if QB is an option in Round 1.

BRILLIANT!!!
He had a half of good play and suddenly is the guy. He also needs a new contact lots of money.

I would take a project QB in the 5th or 6th round this year. See if they can develop him behind the scenes and maybe eliminate the need to spend high draft capital on in a QB in the future. Low risk move.

Absolutely. Shit....I'd look at Hooker in the 2nd. Maybe that kid from Stanford. We need an upgrade in the backup QB situation.

As LKP said, Goff is absolutely the best option for us to win in 2023. Looking after that.....if this roster is constructed the right way we won't need a superstar QB..... and there will likely be options out there that aren't $40M/year.

I liked Bailey Zappe a lot last year. I think Gardner Minshew is a solid QB. What do the 49ers do with Purdy and Trey Lance?? One of them will be looking for a starting shot.

BRILLIANT!!!

One key point you keep missing. If you draft a QB in the first round, you now have him under a rookie contract for the next 5 years. That frees up significant cap space to spend on the defensive side of the ball.

You look at a team like SF and I look at a team like Phi and Cin. Both team have great QBs under rookie contracts and have been able to surround them w top talent. SF gave up a lot of draft capital to snag Lance w plans to do the same thing.

He had a half of good play and suddenly is the guy. He also needs a new contact lots of money.

He's been here 2 years. Had a really good SEASON last year (not sure where you got 1/2 from) and was really good the last 5 games of 2021.... 112/161.....1136 yards. 11 TD. 2 INT. 69.6%. 107.1 rating. 3-2 record.

So he's played 31 games with the Lions and the last 22 he's 12-10 with a rating over 100 and a QBR in the top 5. This with a defense about as good as some D1 college teams and not a lot of weapons to work with.

You should know more about what you're talking about. Goff has been REALLY GOOD since Ben Johnson took over. And yes, that says a lot about Johnson but it also says Goff can be a good QB in the right system.

Again.....backing Goff isn't declaring him a HOF QB......but he is FAR from the Lions biggest deficiency and in the scale of QB pay......he has a middle of the pack salary and is putting out top of the pack production on the field.

Build the defense. That is a MUCH better answer for long term success.

Last edited:
One key point you keep missing. If you draft a QB in the first round, you now have him under a rookie contract for the next 5 years. That frees up significant cap space to spend on the defensive side of the ball.

You look at a team like SF and I look at a team like Phi and Cin. Both team have great QBs under rookie contracts and have been able to surround them w top talent. SF gave up a lot of draft capital to snag Lance w plans to do the same thing.

4 years that are considered cheap. You need to check out what the 5th year options are for QB's. If hes good enough to make a pro bowl, that 5th year is the same cost as the transition tag (avg of top 10 at the position) and if he makes 2 or more that 5th year is the same as the franchise tag. Neither of those options are cheap.

So if that QB needs 2-3 years to be good.........you get good/cheap QB play for maybe 1 or 2 years before he's expensive again. That's a small window. If you still need to build a good defense because you used a lot of draft capital to get your QB.....you're no better off than you are now only you now have a young QB that is going to get PAID and a defense to build.

Last edited:
4 years that are considered cheap. You need to check out what the 5th year options are for QB's. If hes good enough to make a pro bowl, that 5th year is the same cost as the transition tag (avg of top 10 at the position) and if he makes 2 or more that 5th year is the same as the franchise tag. Neither of those options are cheap.

So if that QB needs 2-3 years to be good.........you get good/cheap QB play for maybe 1 or 2 years before he's expensive again. That's a small window. If you still need to build a good defense because you used a lot of draft capital to get your QB.....you're no better off than you are now only you now have a young QB that is going to get PAID and a defense to build.

4-5 years?You start him day one, surround him w talent and hit the ground running.

We?ve had top 10 picks 5yrs in a row now. Free up an additional $20-25mil in cap space. Talent around the QB shouldn?t be a problem.

He was good for like 3/4ths of the year and the 1/4th not as good (really at Min, at Dallas, at NE, second half Miami) is when Swift, Chark, St Brown and Reynolds and Jameson were all hurt or not playing

St Brown missed Seattle, hurt against NE, missed Dallas getting fake concussion rule on first catch
Chark got hurt at Minnesota Week 3 then didn't come back until Giants game
Jameson didn't play until Jacksonville
Swift missed Seattle, at NE, at Dallas, super limited until later in year
Reynolds missed, at Chi, at Giants, Buffalo and banged up after

Last edited:
What do the 49ers do with Purdy and Trey Lance?? One of them will be looking for a starting shot.

My guess is they will battle it out for the starting spot and the other will be the backup. That's unless they win a SB with Purdy. In that case, Lance will be the backup.

Detroit gave up 20.2 PPG in the final 10 games. that matches Eagles 20.2 PPG for the season (8th in league)

Defense for sure will get some talent (hopefully alot more at DT, LB, CB), but the defense definitely improved after a dreadful 1-6 start (32.12 PPG in 7 games)

Last edited:
Back