Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

With the 6th pick... the detroit lions select

With the 6th pick... the Lions should focus on improving what?

• Qb of the future. 3rd/4th qb off the board. Stroud or Levis

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Trenches. A Clemson dlineman. Murphy DE or Breese DT

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Run game. A RB?! Bijan Robinson or best G in draft Skoronsky

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Secondary..Reach for a CB to fill a need. Cam Smith/Porter Jr

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Fuck this I'm out... trade down

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters
4-5 years?You start him day one, surround him w talent and hit the ground running.

We?ve had top 10 picks 5yrs in a row now. Free up an additional $20-25mil in cap space. Talent around the QB shouldn?t be a problem.

And do what with Goff?

Trade him, cut him, whatever, I don?t care. He would be a small cap hit in the grand scheme of things.

There are three pretty big problems with that.....

1. The guy you draft better be good from day one. Even in the NFL 2023 that is a HUGE ask. If he isn't, he's costing you wins right from the start. What if the guy you take is Zach Wilson? Or Malik Willis? Then what? Your actions just told everyone in the locker room that nobody is safe and that this guy is going to get you to the Super Bowl.......which leads to.....

2. If he isn't, you've just set the franchise back 3-4 years......and guys are likely to jump before you're ready to contend again. Sewell, JMo, Hutch, Amon Ra.......why would they want to stay?

3. There is absolutely zero guarantee that the Lions would be able to spend the money cutting Goff saves. We already have $45M+ to spend....but is there going to be anyone out there to spend it on? If there is, do they want to come to Detroit??

We all get it, you don't think Goff is the guy. He might not be. But there is nothing in the last 26 or so games that indicates that. He's come through more often than he hasn't. He puts up good numbers. He seems to have a strong voice in the locker room. He works hard. He performs.

Build a really good defense to go with the really good offense the Lions already have. If Goff sucks or wants $45M+/year.....then you tackle that when it comes up. A really good free agency and draft and the Lions have all the pieces to be real SB contenders next year.....but not if you use both 1st rounders on a QB. I don't see it.

Last edited:
If you have money go grab some players. And why year 1, Burrows year 1 wasn't special. Everyone just assumes just because we won 9 games we'll improve on that.. No guarantee on that at all. Build a good defense is easier on rookie QB deal. Lastly, early in the season most were ready to move on from Goff and now he's the savior?

If you have money go grab some players. And why year 1, Burrows year 1 wasn't special. Everyone just assumes just because we won 9 games we'll improve on that.. No guarantee on that at all. Build a good defense is easier on rookie QB deal. Lastly, early in the season most were ready to move on from Goff and now he's the savior?

Lions had a top 5 offense and Goff was a top 10 QB. That's a fact. 2021 the team didn't have much support around Goff

Lions building through the draft really. A flashy FA is going to have big perfect fit (especially culture wise) for the Lions to spend big money. Vet FAs don't always work out either to fix a defense. Lions will get 1 or 2 outside big money guys once vetted. Lions have the money for that already and could restructure Goff for more room and keep Goff. Just go look at the cap and savings from cutting Brockers, Vaitai and Romeo Okwara (or Chares Harris) too on top of what the Lions already have in space.

Lions with Goff have the money to spend on some better vet FAs with some bigger money. But this defense will be built through the draft (Hutch, Paschal, Houston, McNeil, Joseph, Rodriguez). Which is why we need pick 6 and pick 18 for defense (DT (because Levi can't stay healthy) and CB (because Okudah up and down, Jacobs solid but can be upgraded and we need nickel and depth). I don't want like 3 old vets (remember Trufant, Coleman, Flowers). That didn't work. I want like 1 really good FA stud defender and another on a smart contract. And re-sign Cominsky and maybe Elliot at the right price.

Last edited:

I would LOVE for you to show me where myself or ANYONE else has called Goff a savior. The only point i have made or have seen anyone else make is that his play is helping us win games. He's been pretty good. Not great. Not amazing. Good.

But your distaste for him is just a feeling.....because the statistics say he has been one of the top 5-6 QB's in the NFL for the last year and a half. Rating. QBR. TD/INT ratio. Comp %. Yards/ATT. It's not even arguable at this point.

As far as the cap is concerned, Goff is set (unless someone restructures) to be the 11th biggest QB cap hit in 2023. BEHIND Carr, Cousins, Dak, DeShawn, Brady, Ryan......guys he has simply out-played. Because we spent the first 2 years doing the rebuild the right way....cutting the big contracts without taking any on.....we already have the cap space to work with. We don't need to cut Goff to make that happen. We also have the 3rd lowest dead cap against us.

If your argument is that you just don't think Goff can do it, fine, I won't argue against that. But you can't argue the statistics and you will have a hard time making the argument about his cap hit either.....as its 11th highest but he's playing ABOVE it.

More importantly

Free Agency, when we would need and use that Goff trade/cut money is in March

The draft is in late April and there is no guarantee we get the QB we want unless we trade up to the first pick with the Bears giving a division rival pick 6 and pick 18 for their rebuild (maybe more is needed to go from 6 to 1). There is ZERO CHANCE the Lions would trade Goff in March in the hopes of getting a QB (Bryce Young). Especially after all the comments Holmes/Campbell made about Goff being the guy for 2023 already. Goff is on this roster in 2023 if we draft a QB or not

Lions have cap space and don't need more by trading Goff. They can simply restructure him with a void year (2025) if they want to lower his cap hit for 2023 or no void year and push more dead money to 2024.

If a QB falls to 18, you think about it. If a QB falls to 6 (Stroud or Levis), you trade down with a QB needy team and get even more draft picks and maintain having two 1st round picks for defense.

More importantly

Free Agency, when we would need and use that Goff trade/cut money is in March

The draft is in late April and there is no guarantee we get the QB we want unless we trade up to the first pick with the Bears giving a division rival pick 6 and pick 18 for their rebuild (maybe more is needed to go from 6 to 1). There is ZERO CHANCE the Lions would trade Goff in March in the hopes of getting a QB (Bryce Young). Especially after all the comments Holmes/Campbell made about Goff being the guy for 2023 already. Goff is on this roster in 2023 if we draft a QB or not

Lions have cap space and don't need more by trading Goff. They can simply restructure him with a void year (2025) if they want to lower his cap hit for 2023 or no void year and push more dead money to 2024.

If a QB falls to 18, you think about it. If a QB falls to 6 (Stroud or Levis), you trade down with a QB needy team and get even more draft picks and maintain having two 1st round picks for defense.

What if the Lions have Stroud as the #1 QB in this draft (many draft "experts" do) and he is still there at 6?

What if the Lions have Stroud as the #1 QB in this draft (many draft "experts" do) and he is still there at 6?

Lions won't know that in March when they would use the money from trading Goff.

They might take Stroud at 6 though if they feel he is a great QB to be and he is BPA and they weren't wowed with trade down offers. But Goff will still be the QB in 2023 if they take Stroud at 6.

You could blow up the locker room and go back on your word and trade Goff in May and June for space to be used in 2024 I guess and hope the rookie is you thought he was on the gamble too. But that would be dumb putting all the eggs for 2023 in the rookies basket. Especially an Ohio State QB CJ Stroud who all the comparisons I have seen, compare Stroud to....Jared Goff as his comp.

Player Comparison: Joe Burrow/Jared Goff. Stroud is a difficult player to compare because the NFL is trending away from pure pocket passers. Stroud can really throw the ball with accuracy and velocity, so in that regard he is similar to Goff. However, Stroud is a better athlete than Goff, and with his feet, Stroud could be similar to Burrow. Burrow though is also much smarter and more aggressive about using his feet than Stroud is. If Stroud would take advantage of his athleticism and run like Burrow does, Stroud could potentially turn into an elite pro quarterback.

Last edited:
I rather get a QB when It's not completely necessity than get one when we need a day one starter.

See, that is a scenario that I would be OK with taking a QB. Personally, I would prefer a defensive player, but as long as we aren't spending any additional draft picks to take that player......so be it. Any scenario where we trade UP in the first round I would be against.

If Holmes has Stroud #1 and he is there at #6.....GREAT!!

If he's available give up a 2nd for Fields.

If I were the Bears I wouldn't give up on him yet. His passing was bad last year but they may have the worst group of WRs in the entire NFL.

His college WRs were better than what they have in Chicago. His last season @ OSU his top 3 WRs were Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, & Jameson Williams :lmao:

If I were the Bears I wouldn't give up on him yet. His passing was bad last year but they may have the worst group of WRs in the entire NFL.

His college WRs were better than what they have in Chicago. His last season @ OSU his top 3 WRs were Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, & Jameson Williams :lmao:

And a bad oline. But they might have fallen in love with Bryce.

Back