Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

Things are shaping up nicely for Robertson to commit to us. He's committing the 7th, was supposed to visit UM, ND and us before then, he now has no visits scheduled except for a visit to MSU later in June.

Also good news is that top 150 LB Jaquan Yulee will visit MSU next week sometime, he is announcing the 4th of June.

Last edited:
I believe we had 6 four star guys in last years class. Hope we can do the same this year or better

I believe we had 6 four star guys in last years class. Hope we can do the same this year or better

Right now we have 2, but DeWeaver will be a mid to high 4. Also think Abdul will be a 4 star, his offer list is better than any recruit we have so far. I'd guess we end up with 8 or 9 composite 4 stars and several others who end up 4 star on at least one of the services. We could end up with like 7 of the top 150 players though and that would be something we typically haven't done.

Saban/Williams did bring in 3 of the top 25 players one year though with Charles Rogers, Jeff Smoker, and Tyrell Dortch.

All we can ask for is plan A recruits. We're going to have at least 16 guys committed by mid June, probably more like 18. These are plan A guys, every last one of them. This staff feels the players we have lined up are among the very elite in the country at their positions, whether it's 4 star Justin Layne, or 3 star Abdul Adams. Heard the staff ranks Adams as even with Kareem Walker, the 5 star RB who committed to OSU.

Right now we have 2, but DeWeaver will be a mid to high 4. Also think Abdul will be a 4 star, his offer list is better than any recruit we have so far. I'd guess we end up with 8 or 9 composite 4 stars and several others who end up 4 star on at least one of the services. We could end up with like 7 of the top 150 players though and that would be something we typically haven't done.

Saban/Williams did bring in 3 of the top 25 players one year though with Charles Rogers, Jeff Smoker, and Tyrell Dortch.

All we can ask for is plan A recruits. We're going to have at least 16 guys committed by mid June, probably more like 18. These are plan A guys, every last one of them. This staff feels the players we have lined up are among the very elite in the country at their positions, whether it's 4 star Justin Layne, or 3 star Abdul Adams. Heard the staff ranks Adams as even with Kareem Walker, the 5 star RB who committed to OSU.

I didnt know the full deal about Adams. Yes, Kareem Walker is said to be one of the top 1-2 backs in the country. If we can keep a steady pace of top 10 classes there should be no issue whatsover with maintaining 10 win seasons. Id be surprised if we didnt get all of the big three in King,Corley and Robertson. I am keeping a shred of hope Lavert Hill will flip over to Green. Quinn Nordin, supposedly the best kicker in the country was thought to be a Michigan lock has made several visits and just offered. We could use another Brett Swenson :) There are some good things in the works.

I didnt know Smoker and Dortch were 5 star recruits.

Last edited:
Robertson visited Michigan on the 4th and again today.

And he's Commiting to MSU on the 7th of June.

Denetric Vance got bumped to a 4 star on Rivals, was already one in Scout, is getting a bump to composite 4 in 247 soon.

Between the 5th and the 8th next week we will get at least 3 big time recruits.

Last edited:
Messiah DeWeaver got bumped up to the #5 overall QB in the nation on Rivals. Considering he's dominated the camps that was expected.

Messiah DeWeaver got bumped up to the #5 overall QB in the nation on Rivals. Considering he's dominated the camps that was expected.

Strange how Scout still has him as a 3 star #25 pos.Should be a solid 4 star guy by the end of the season.

Abdul Adams getting b a big bump in Rivals too from the 31st to the 17th RB.

Vance, DeWeaver, and Abdul are all going to be 4 star composite recruits. That gives us 5 already committed, with 3 more coming late this week, Corley is still a heavy MSU lean too. So we'll likely have 9+ 4 stars by the end of this month. The 247 people were saying Kenny Lyke was getting bumped to a 92 (4 star) on their site, but I haven't sen it yet.

OT Gavin Cupp is also really underrated and will do very well in camps this summer , he's a great athlete on the offensive liine and his technique is really top notch.

Last edited:
OH 4 Star TE Luke Farrell:

Getting his last visit before he announces

"With Michigan State, I just like their philosophy a lot and they take a different approach to recruiting," he said. "They aren't showoffs at all, and they keep things pretty low-key. I'm the modest type myself, so that appeals to me. I have a good relationship with Coach (Jim) Bollman, the tight ends coach. I will be visiting there in June and that will be my last visit."

It's between OSU and us for him, but OSU already has a TE in this class. Huge that we are getting his last visit.

So if you were wondering.

Friday King is announcing
Sunday Robertson
Monday Jones

I think There are a couple surprises too. Cam and Messiah have worked to orchestrate this with the recruits and they are wanting to make this a huge splash. So I wouldn't be surprised if Corley makes his commitment public on Saturday.

New Rivals 250 out today:
Josh King 69
Donnie Corley 79
Austen Robertson 111
Cam Chambers 136 (C)
Justin Layne 181 (C)
Messiah DeWeaver 198 (C)
Demetric Vance 236 (C)

Also the 16th ranked RB came in at 242, Abdul Adams is the 17th ranked RB, means he will almost certainly get a 4th star from rivals tomorrow when their complete rankings are released.

This time next week we could have a pretty loaded class.

Last edited:
Donnie Corley and Khalid Kareem visiting MSU tomorrow, LEvert Hill also likely to join them.

4 Star DT Mike Panasiuk visiting today. Corley and Kareem also there, not sure on Hill yet, but they're all there for the the unveiling of the new locker rooms in the Duff and several other renovations. Couldn't ask for a better day, a better event, and better weather for the recruits to see MSU.

The facilities upgrades were badly needed and put our facilities on par with any other program in the country now. No longer can other programs negatively recruit against us because of facilities.

Some in state 2017 kids on campus today include Peoples-Jones, Hamler, Ross, and Thomas.

Last edited:
Chances we land people's jones? Seems like every major program is recruiting him hard.

We lead for him right now, but it's extremely early and his recruitment will go on for a long time IMO. Detroit King has become a magnet school for Detroit area talent and our recruiting coordinator(Blackwell) is a prominent King grad. And the King coach loves MSU and is not really happy with the other program in the state.

Last edited:
We lead for him right now, but it's extremely early and his recruitment will go on for a long time IMO. Detroit King has become a magnet school for Detroit area talent and our recruiting coordinator(Blackwell) is a prominent King grad. And the King coach loves MSU and is not really happy with the other program in the state.

I'm guessing Urban Meyer is the one guy to worry about then...

4 Star DT Mike Panasiuk visiting today. Corley and Kareem also there, not sure on Hill yet, but they're all there for the the unveiling of the new locker rooms in the Duff and several other renovations. Couldn't ask for a better day, a better event, and better weather for the recruits to see MSU.

The facilities upgrades were badly needed and put our facilities on par with any other program in the country now. No longer can other programs negatively recruit against us because of facilities.

Some in state 2017 kids on campus today include Peoples-Jones, Hamler, Ross, and Thomas.

Panasiuk, Corley, Peoples-Jones, Ross, Thomas, Hamlerm, Kareem and others will be there.

as far as Hill goes, I think he comes back in play if we get Corley

Back