Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

Like we have with Scherzer?

If you have a chance to lock up the most dominate starting pitcher in the league, you do it. Has it worked out for us??? Maybe not.

I haven't heard anyone say we shouldn't have tried to sign Scherzer this past offseason. If we plan on staying a top tier franchise, we have to keep our top talent.

I'm pretty sure half the board said it.

That's ludicrous. The problem has been stocking the farm with talent. You build your core, and go to the farm to solidify, and fine tune via FA. They have missed on the farm which has prevented them to fine tune.

Not at 144m I didn't him to be signed. It's not odd that someone didn't want Max.

Not at 144m I didn't him to be signed. It's not odd that someone didn't want Max.
You sign max and benoit last off season, no need for price, and you still have valuable ss prospect and a starting CF. Now all you need is a RF and depth guys. Dumb move by DD. I still believe moving AJ f'd up the team chemistry. On top of that, you probably lose price as well or trade him to fill a hole.

Last edited:
You sign max and benoit last off season, no need for price, and you still have valuable ss prospect and a starting CF. Now all you need is a RF and depth guys. Dumb move by DD. I still believe moving AJ f'd up the team chemistry. On top of that, you probably lose price as well or trade him to fill a hole.

I don't think you give Max that kind of money and years based off a year and a half of success, which was why I'm glad he turned it down.

But I still don't think we needed Price either way, it's a net loss now.

I just read that we're listening to offers on Avila. I don't expect it to go anywhere, but it's still pretty interesting. If we trade him away, I could see us making a run at Martin with McCann becoming the backup.

I just read that we're listening to offers on Avila. I don't expect it to go anywhere, but it's still pretty interesting. If we trade him away, I could see us making a run at Martin with McCann becoming the backup.

If we're trading Avila, it's because McCaan is ready to start. Not because we want a different catcher.

If we're trading Avila, it's because McCaan is ready to start. Not because we want a different catcher.

I believe McCann is ready, but Ausmus sure as hell didn't seem to agree on that. He said something about it being unfair to McCann to put him into live game situations when he was called up. What the heck would have changed in his mind from September until now?

I haven't been able to figure out why they just keep trotting Avila out there when he's so beat up and we've now had multiple back up catchers who can out hit him by a wide margin. We should have been doing closer to a 50/50 platoon rather than the 90/10 we seem to have seen these past few seasons. Maybe Avila's brain wouldn't be scrambled if they had.

I believe McCann is ready, but Ausmus sure as hell didn't seem to agree on that. He said something about it being unfair to McCann to put him into live game situations when he was called up. What the heck would have changed in his mind from September until now?

I haven't been able to figure out why they just keep trotting Avila out there when he's so beat up and we've now had multiple back up catchers who can out hit him by a wide margin. We should have been doing closer to a 50/50 platoon rather than the 90/10 we seem to have seen these past few seasons. Maybe Avila's brain wouldn't be scrambled if they had.

When he said that, he was talking about throwing a rookie out in must win games in his first appearances in the Majors. Not that I agree with Brad, but that is 100% different than having him starting out ST as the #1 guy.

Also you're high if you think any of his back up catchers have out-hit him (Avila) by a wide margin. Seriously, when will people learn to look beyond the stupid batting averages.

Last edited:

How is that on DD he offered him 144m. He can't force Max to sign..or was he suppose to give him 200m?

When he said that, he was talking about throwing a rookie out in must win games in his first appearances in the Majors. Not that I agree with Brad, but that is 100% different than having him starting out ST as the #1 guy.

Also you're high if you think any of his back up catchers have out-hit him (Avila) by a wide margin. Seriously, when will people learn to look beyond the stupid batting averages.
Pena went .297AVG/.315OBP/.397SLG/.713OPS to Avila's .227AVG/.317OBP/.376SLG/.693OPS for us in 2013. I'd say that's a significantly better offensive line.

Pena went .297AVG/.315OBP/.397SLG/.713OPS to Avila's .227AVG/.317OBP/.376SLG/.693OPS for us in 2013. I'd say that's a significantly better offensive line.

Depends on how you look at it..they both got on base almost at the same rate. Avila slightly higher. The offensive numbers tells me it's negligible. The difference, one calls a superb game.

Worth noting, the Royals have had talks with Lester's agents and worked out Tomas the other day. Either they are wasting everyones time or are going to start trying to spend this offseason

The Diamondbacks are desperate for Pitching. I'd give them Price and Castellanos if they gave us Goldschmidt in return. Plug Goldy in to LF and sign Headley to play 3rd. I would also like to see us involved in the Tulo talks. We could put him at 3rd base to help keep him healthy. He's already signed long-term, so it would be minimal risk for us to give up Price and Castellanos for him. Nolan Arenado could move to 2nd base for them.

Last edited:
The official start of considering blowing my head off from stupid posts.

I would have been ok with Price to the Cubs for Addison.

Last edited:
The official start of considering blowing my head off from stupid posts.

I would have been ok with Price to the Cubs for Addison.

Stupid posts are a product of the offseason. Everyone has their dream scenarios.. none of them usually come to fruition. I do believe we need to trade Price now, though. We need value because if we're competing next year, we won't want to sell at the deadline. Get good MLB talent to fill holes and sign a starting pitcher to a somewhat cheap deal.

The Diamondbacks are desperate for Pitching. I'd give them Price and Castellanos if they gave us Goldschmidt in return. Plug Goldy in to LF and sign Headley to play 3rd. I would also like to see us involved in the Tulo talks. We could put him at 3rd base to help keep him healthy. He's already signed long-term, so it would be minimal risk for us to give up Price and Castellanos for him. Nolan Arenado could move to 2nd base for them.
No offense man but any gm that would make that trade should be fired on the spot. Not only is goldschmidt there franchise player, he is one of the top position players in baseball. You're asking them to give him up for a rental and a future DH

Maybe we can snag Michael Morse on the cheap. One or two year deal only if he can still play in the OF. Tori Hunter at $12 Million a season was way over priced.

Absolutely not. I would have been somewhat OK with him as a DH platoon, but he should never be in the field. He's absolutely terrible.

Back