Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

I think MSU fans hit rock bottom

We hit rock bottom in 2008 (for me, the rock bottom lasted all three of RR's years), got a "dead cat bounce" in 2011, and then gradually sunk back to rock bottom in 2014.

It's tough to estimate what week we hit rock bottom... the ND game was bad, but there was hope it would be just one game, and we'd do okay in the conference. The Utah game was bad too; I think ML made the observation at the time that if we lost that game, Hoke would lose the team, so you could make a case for that week.

Certainly things didn't improve by the Minnesota game & DB protests on campus. Once DB resigned though, at least things have been on the upswing more or less.

For me, rock bottom was when Hoke left Shane Morris on the field. I became a bit apathetic towards the losses lately.

NDSucks 2014 was my rock bottom. First time I ever just stopped watching a game. As soon as Gardner threw the pick on the opening drive of the 2nd half, I just said fuck it and went out to my buddy's fire pit and drank the night away.

Last edited:
How about that game in 2012 at ND when Denard had five turnovers? I remember in the 3rd quarter Michigan had a drive that honestly went 10 minutes, marched up the field and Denard fumbled. That took the air out of my sails.

How about that game in 2012 at ND when Denard had five turnovers? I remember in the 3rd quarter Michigan had a drive that honestly went 10 minutes, marched up the field and Denard fumbled. That took the air out of my sails.

At least our defense played well.

Turnovers just killed us. Still could have won. Vincent Smith pass smh.

that's not even close to rock bottom... sloppy play from Denard, and dumb play calling, but we only lost by a TD @ ND, who went undefeated until they played Alabama.

I'm not talking about that being rock bottom, just having a random thought about how much it sucked. I left a wedding early to watch that crap lol.

Like I said, the Shane Morris incident was the bottom for me.

That would be the game where I stood up in the living room and shouted at the TV, "God Dammit Denard, quit throwing fucking interceptions!!!"

...not realizing that the neighbors were eating dinner with Grandma and Grandpa visiting on their side patio, adjacent to the open window I was standing by

Grandpa pretty much gives me dirty looks every time he comes over to their house and isn't even very nice to my son..

Rock bottom for me was the ND sucks game. That's when I realized the team didn't give a flying fuck.

Salt in the wound was watching OSU win a championship with a third string QB when we haven't fielded a legit QB since Chad Henne, and even he couldn't beat those cocksuckers.

At least images of Braylon Edwards single-handedly evaporating a 17 point lead in the fourth quarter don't keep me up nights. Although, mental images of Sparty fans with tears streaming down their faces after Super Mario's 95 yard TD still make smile from time to time.

That would be the game where I stood up in the living room and shouted at the TV, "God Dammit Denard, quit throwing fucking interceptions!!!"

...not realizing that the neighbors were eating dinner with Grandma and Grandpa visiting on their side patio, adjacent to the open window I was standing by

Grandpa pretty much gives me dirty looks every time he comes over to their house and isn't even very nice to my son..

Obviously Grandpa isn't a football fan...if he were he would understand!

Honestly not sure if Grandpa was more upset with the "God Dammit!" or the "fucking interceptions" because their family is very active in the church - choir, Bible Study, etc. - and the kids rather ...sheltered..?

The boy next door wouldn't know what a football is if it hit him upside the head and the parents are both from Chicago, Alumni of Illinois.

Hard to say...but rock bottom might have been when Henne came in from the locker room in the 07 Game and inserted himself into the game replacing Mallett with no coaching direction.

Been a lot of rock bottoms; eat 'em up while you can, you Johnny 2 x 2s.

Honestly not sure if Grandpa was more upset with the "God Dammit!", "fucking interceptions" because their family is very active in the church - choir, Bible Study, etc. - and the kids rather ...sheltered..?

The boy next door wouldn't know what a football is if it hit him upside the head and the parents are both from Chicago, Alumni of Illinois.

"God Dammit!", "fucking interceptions" *blaring out the window*

"more iced tea Ethel"?

"more iced tea Ethel"?

LOL ...yeah, probably both. They know now after 8 football seasons that there may be some adult language coming from our house, in frustration and celebration.

Luckily for them I'm at Mile Hi most Sundays, at least when the Donkos are home.

"more iced tea Ethel"?

I was in my dorm room at the University of Cincinnati watching the UM-MSU game in 2004. After yet another MSU TD, I walked out of my room and spend the door behind me so hard that it knocked something off of a wardrobe 2 doors down from me. I had 3 people starting at me as I walked down the hall to take a leak, contemplating turning it off for good. They must've thought I was bipolar by the time the Braylon Edwards clinic was over, because that comeback was epic.

The other one that has me getting funny looks was PSU in 2005. I was watching that with my window open when Henne hit Manningham as the clock expired to win it. I was getting some very odd looks from the many passersby when my profanity-laced celebration made it to their ears.

Good times, just can't believe how long ago that was.

I was in my dorm room at the University of Cincinnati watching the UM-MSU game in 2004. After yet another MSU TD, I walked out of my room and spend the door behind me so hard that it knocked something off of a wardrobe 2 doors down from me. I had 3 people starting at me as I walked down the hall to take a leak, contemplating turning it off for good. They must've thought I was bipolar by the time the Braylon Edwards clinic was over, because that comeback was epic.

The other one that has me getting funny looks was PSU in 2005. I was watching that with my window open when Henne hit Manningham as the clock expired to win it. I was getting some very odd looks from the many passersby when my profanity-laced celebration made it to their ears.

Good times, just can't believe how long ago that was.

LOL, I was at the CU vs Texas game in Boulder with a buddy in 2004 and after CU got up on Vince Young and crew 7-0, it was quickly 35-7 Texas by halftime (if I recall), so we split in the 3rd quarter and went back to the Hill (the CU campus bar/restaurant area) and the UM/MSU game came on just as the 4th Quarter was on... Got to watch the whole comeback and OTs amidst a bunch of CU fans who were pissed at Texas and still pissed at MICHIGAN for the drubbings in '96 & '97 following the '94 Hail Mary.

In 2005 we were in Mazatlan Mexico where there was some form of ESPN feed but it was showing Futbol ...the ticker at the bottom of the page showed the MICHIGAN vs Penn State score and :01 left ..

Next time the ticker went by showing the game, MICHIGAN had won!! I yelled so loudly in the hotel room, everyone at the Pool heard me. Upon returning to the pool, an older couple we'd been chatting with whose son was a UM Alum joking asked, "So ...who won?"

Then while flying back from Mexico, as soon as we hit US Airspace and the DirecTV came back on, there it was as an 'Instant Classic" ...and we got to watch the game.

Yeah ....long, long time ago right??

Last edited:
Honestly not sure if Grandpa was more upset with the "God Dammit!" or the "fucking interceptions" because their family is very active in the church - choir, Bible Study, etc. - and the kids rather ...sheltered..?

As alumni of Illinois...his parents wouldn't know what a football is if it hit them upside the head!

LOL, I was at the CU vs Texas game in Boulder with a buddy in 2004 and after CU got up on Vince Young and crew 7-0, it was quickly 35-7 Texas by halftime (if I recall), so we split in the 3rd quarter and went back to the Hill (the CU campus bar/restaurant area) and the UM/MSU game came on just as the 4th Quarter was on... Got to watch the whole comeback and OTs amidst a bunch of CU fans who were pissed at Texas and still pissed at MICHIGAN for the drubbings in '96 & '97 following the '94 Hail Mary.

In 2005 we were in Mazatlan Mexico where there was some form of ESPN feed but it was showing Futbol ...the ticker at the bottom of the page showed the MICHIGAN vs Penn State score and :01 left ..

Next time the ticker went by showing the game, MICHIGAN had won!! I yelled so loudly in the hotel room, everyone at the Pool heard me. Upon returning to the pool, an older couple we'd been chatting with whose son was a UM Alum joking asked, "So ...who won?"

Then while flying back from Mexico, as soon as we hit US Airspace and the DirecTV came back on, there it was as an 'Instant Classic" ...and we got to watch the game.

Yeah ....long, long time ago right??

I'm not surprised uofm fans remember '04 the way they do but the difference in that game was stanton, not edwards - if it wasn't for Stanton getting hurt and being replaced by Damon Dowdell who couldn't get a first down to save his life those edwards plays would have just been garbage points.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised uofm fans remember '04 the way they do but the difference in that game was stanton, not edwards - if it wasn't for Stanton getting hurt and being replaced by Damon Dowdell who couldn't get a first down to save his life those edwards plays would have just been garbage points.

MSU was up by 17 with 8:43 left in the game. Then Edwards destroyed them.

You act like MSU didn't score after Stanton left the game. He got injured in the first half where MSU put up 17 points. MSU scored 10 in the 2nd half and 10 in the OTs. Your defense just couldn't stop Braylon.

Back