Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan Football Recruiting '16

So the class currently stands at 22 commits, with expected attrition of 1-3 guys I'd assume. My question is, who is solid, how much will Michigan honor the offers they've extended to the lower-tier guys that have committed (there's currently 3 two star guys committed, according to Rivals) and where does the roster space come from to accommodate the 25-28 commits they've got coming in.

Also, I saw something about the staff telling a kid that was interested in enrolling early that they wanted to hold off on agreeing to that, which I was surprised to hear. I thought that they could enroll as many as they wanted to early, but that to get to 28 players, they had to have at least 3 of them enroll early. If someone can clarify the rules regarding the numbers of players they can sign, early enrollment rules and where the available spots will come from, that'd be awesome.

If Michigan can get Walker, Gary and Nauta, I'd be thrilled! Nauta currently has 4 schools listed as "High" interest on Rivals. Florida, Georgia, Michigan and TCU. I'm not familiar enough with the systems at Florida (especially now) or Georgia, but TCU doesn't strike me as the type of offense you go to as the top TE in a class if you have aspirations of playing in the NFL. Michigan is showing why you want to play for them as a TE every single week, but Florida is the home team in this one, so I'd guess it depends on the coaches and the systems. He'll be in town this weekend from what I've read, so hopefully Butt and Williams can put on a show that will be too hard to ignore.

Not sure what exactly that's about, but I'm sure it's a matter of not giving a spot to sometime coming off of an ACL injury and two knee surgeries. I can see both sides of this, it's a disappointing situation. Good luck to the kid, I hope he finds the best situation for himself and his family.

Scholarship offer stands but can't play ball. Tough call. My guess is he commits elsewhere; maybe a different story if this was a head injury/concussion thing.

Feel bad for the kid, but he has torn his ACL twice and injured his MCL as well. Football is probably not the best thing for his future.

Feel bad for the kid, but he has torn his ACL twice and injured his MCL as well. Football is probably not the best thing for his future.

I don't know. Drake Johnson is in the same boat though and they didn't push him out. Maybe they don't want to tie up a scholarship for 4-5 years on someone that's such a long shot? That would explain why they've got little to no interest in Hayes as well. I think I heard Sam Webb say Hayes gas played a total of 8 high school games over his entire career. It's not hard to understand why you would be cautious about spending one of your scholarships on that type of player.

I don't know. Drake Johnson is in the same boat though and they didn't push him out. Maybe they don't want to tie up a scholarship for 4-5 years on someone that's such a long shot? That would explain why they've got little to no interest in Hayes as well. I think I heard Sam Webb say Hayes gas played a total of 8 high school games over his entire career. It's not hard to understand why you would be cautious about spending one of your scholarships on that type of player.

I think they are just being cautious with the scholarship. It sucks for the kid. At least he has enough time to find another program willing to take the risk and he still has the option of going to Michigan. Things could be worse.

I can understand the kid still wanting to play. But from what I have read he has had several injuries and now 2 ACL's in the same knee. There are several things going on here and we all know it. First Michigan may very well get Walker as a RB commit which then they wont need Falcon because they need his spot for someone else. But they dont want to just tell the kid thanks but no thanks like many schools would have done. So they are trying to at least offer something for him. So now its on him. He can go to Michigan still but he has to give up football and he will get a free education or if he wants to play he can go somewhere else. He hasnt ever stayed healthy in high school so while he may stay healthy in college its unlikely. I give Michigan credit for at least offering him a medical scholarship because most schools wouldnt even do that. I am sure they would let him work with the team as a GA coach like Austin Hatch is in basketball

This story has been grossly mishandled in the press.

Kids parents acknowledge he can't play football anymore but some are saying Michigan 'pulled his scholarship'

And of course every asshat with a chubby from Saturday only read that headline and is trolling the school and fans over it.

This story has been grossly mishandled in the press.

Kids parents acknowledge he can't play football anymore but some are saying Michigan 'pulled his scholarship'

And of course every asshat with a chubby from Saturday only read that headline and is trolling the school and fans over it.

Let 'em talk. The thing that disappointed me most is the fact that the kid painting this program as being in the wrong here even though they offered to honor his scholarship even if he wasn't going to play for them. If he can't see that it would be selfish of him to take that scholarship to play, then good riddance. If he's absolutely set on playing football for Michigan, I'm sure he would be accepted as a preferred walk on, obviously her have to pay his own way then, but if he truly wants to play here I'm sure they would work that out for him. They simply cannot afford to take chances on players that have a high probability of getting hurt. It'd be one thing if they had been bringing in top 5 classes for years, but they need every slot they can get right now and they need them to go to guys that can contribute and contribute immediately, someone coming off of a second ACL injury that has been hurt his entire high school career isn't exactly likely to do that.

Hey look at that - Dele' Harding is off the commit list for Rivals.

Down to 20.

Last edited:
Schuster looks like he's already better than Ruddock. He was making a ton of throws on the run and putting them on target.

Schuster looks like he's already better than Ruddock. He was making a ton of throws on the run and putting them on target.

So is my next door neighbor's daughter.

I stood about 30 feet away from her with no one around and she threw the ball right to me.

And I'm not 6'6.

Back