Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan Football Recruiting '16

Good. Definitely need young LBs now. Still waiting for interior DL.

Laughed at this quote from Rashan Garys mom regarding Harbaugh:

"And I have to be honest… Coach Harbaugh is the most down to earth (guy). He is a like a homey (laughter). He is that dude. He is like a homey. He is not all stuck up. He is kind of quirky-cool… and I like him. And I think Rashan likes him as well.”

Good. Definitely need young LBs now. Still waiting for interior DL.

Definitely to collect some bodies at that position. Lose three starters this year and it's practically empty after next season.

I have to imagine this is addressed in small part by at least one player making a position switch (Chase Winovich back to LB?).

I don't follow recruiting much and don't know what other schools are in for Gary (Alabama?) but it sure sounds like his mom likes UM and Harbaugh and is playing a big role in the whole process. I don't really like the staged announcement things or the videos being produced and think it would be awesome if he just went and committed during the visit and spared everyone the week or so of bullshit on twitter and recruiting boards

I don't mind kids taking their time, but I can't stand kids that seem to revel in the attention. Think Pryor, showing up to the AA game in Michigan gear, then the next day in OSU gear.

It's a very important decision and it should be mad carefully, but the prima donnas that soak up the attention drive me insane.

I don't mind kids taking their time, but I can't stand kids that seem to revel in the attention. Think Pryor, showing up to the AA game in Michigan gear, then the next day in OSU gear.

It's a very important decision and it should be mad carefully, but the prima donnas that soak up the attention drive me insane.

I agree and may be reading into things but Gary's Mom seems to be very, very involved and Gary himself seems grounded considering he's the "#1" recruit.

Seems very different than say Clowney or Pryor did.

I agree and may be reading into things but Gary's Mom seems to be very, very involved and Gary himself seems grounded considering he's the "#1" recruit.

Seems very different than say Clowney or Pryor did.

I think mom is going to be key. I think the other school in the mix is Auburn. I'm not sure how any parent could prefer their kid go to Auburn over Michigan, for more reasons than one.

I'll take all of the PWOs we can get. Having bodies is never a bad thing, plus one might just turn into Jordan Kovacs. I'd rather have guys that would rather pay their own way just to play for Michigan than guys that couldn't give a shit what jersey they wear, as long as boosters have deep pockets.

I'll take all of the PWOs we can get. Having bodies is never a bad thing, plus one might just turn into Jordan Kovacs. I'd rather have guys that would rather pay their own way just to play for Michigan than guys that couldn't give a shit what jersey they wear, as long as boosters have deep pockets.

Oh defiantly I agree we do need bodies.. According to the article he always wanted to play at Michigan and he was going to one way or another..

Last edited:
Just a curiosity thing here and I'm pretty sure someone here can explain whether or not this is a loophole.

If a guy were to get a scholarship for one sport, say track, are they allowed to be a walk-on for another sport like football? Or does it count as a scholie against both the track team and the football team.

I know there have been many 2 sport athletes in every program, so I'm just wondering how the scholarships count in those situations. Seems like there would be potential to have teams acquire additional players by giving them scholarships for another sport so that it doesn't count against the number of football scholarships. But if that was the case, I would imagine Alabama would have 400 football players on scholarships...just the scholarships would be for a multitude of sports.

And what about an academic scholarship person being a walk on? Say a kid gets a full ride ROTC scholarship, it doesn't count as a football scholarship, correct?

I can see where this would be a challenging thing for the NCAA to oversee.

Just strikes me as a way to get kids on a team without it counting against the total football scholarships allowed, so I'm curious how that works.

Thanks in advance for explaining it.

Often wondered that myself, I figured it come down to of the kid isn't paying his own way, he counts against your scholarships. My reasoning is the same as yours. If it didn't, you know teams would load up on kids with "academic" scholarships.

Of course, while I was in school, Connor Barwin played basketball and joined the team mid-season. I don't think they had any scholarships to give, but I could be wrong.

Interested to hear an answer to this question.

I would say that at every Top 50 AD in the country the football team has by FAR more scholarships than any other sport. I would guess that sports such as track and wrestling (what other dual sports are there? you never hear of any Bo Jackson like dual athletes anymore...) sometimes lean on the availability of a scholarship from football moreso than it would ever go the other way. So if you're recruiting a Top kid as a football coach, you could theoretically tell the kid that if he comes to your school, he can also _____________________.

I would assume it goes that way more often than it is an offer made for a football or basketball player via the track team, but you never know. maybe some kid really wants to play football but has only a stellar track record and the track team is recruiting him. If he eventually makes the football team and becomes an active member, my guess is that the track coach would dial up the AD or football coach and ask that he get one of his relatively few scholarships back for track.

I think that each student gets just the one but it can range from a partial to a full athletic to an academic or otherwise designated source.

Last edited:
Maybe that is how the service academies have gotten around the fact they pay everyone at their school, because they put them in as academic scholarships, even kids who are recruited for football, since they still need the grades to get in, not to mention stay.

Still, I can picture SEC schools giving full ride academic scholies for kids with a 0.4 high school GPA because that would actually raise their average incoming GPA.

Back