Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan Men's Basketball Recruiting

I just watched Michigan podcast with Steve and Michael said that Mathews is pretty much gone and Iggy and Poole will test . Poole and his family are not happy with the Michigan fan base I guess so he may transfer. This is the first I have heard this but it is toward the end after the football stuff.

https://youtu.be/SPed-KhqVFU

Matthews is 100% gone. There is no chance he's coming back.

Eh, that fan base stuff is overblown. Some moron tweeted at his dad and the dad took it all personal. This fan base is not tough at all when it comes to basketball. The majority of us are very appreciative.

He and his family need to get off social media (like every other athlete), and not let one person dictate how he feels.

Oh I agree with you but it is what it is. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and Jb will talk him back. Interesting They said one of the issues was Jb did not get as much work with the younger kids he recuited as in years past because of his heart surgery. Makes a lot of sense. Frustrating as if anyone of the other freshmen had lived up to his rating the Wolverines could have gone a lot further. Is it that simple what Michael Spath said that the reason Michigan was elimination is because we do not have a point guard who can hit a three point shot consistently?

Last edited:
Oh I agree with you but it is what it is. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and Jb will talk him back. Interesting They said one of the issues was Jb did not get as much work with the younger kids he recuited as in years past because of his heart surgery. Makes a lot of sense. Frustrating as if anyone of the other freshmen had lived up to his rating the Wolverines could have gone a lot further. Is it that simple what Michael Spath said that the reason Michigan was elimination is because we do not have a point guard who can hit a three point shot consistently?

No. That's not it. That is probably as far from the truth as possible. The entire team was 1-19 from three. That is absolutely unheard of. I mean, put any of us out there and give us 19 looks, we are probably hitting 5. There were only a few of those threes that were really contested, the rest were just open bricks.

No. That's not it. That is probably as far from the truth as possible. The entire team was 1-19 from three. That is absolutely unheard of. I mean, put any of us out there and give us 19 looks, we are probably hitting 5. There were only a few of those threes that were really contested, the rest were just open bricks.

We could go 1-19 from half court. It's really not hard to hit 1 half court shot in 19 tries. Usually takes less than 10 attempts.

One of the biggest issues this team had this year was the lack of shot creation by anyone other than Zavier. Iggy, Matthews, Poole, and Livers are all really weak in the assist dept. Those four guys only combined for 185 assists this season with 183 TOs. That's a terrible Ast/TO ratio for those four. That forced us to have to run almost every bit of the offense through Zavier. The other guys just could not be trusted to make the right reads consistently.

Last edited:
We could go 1-19 from half court. It's really not hard to hit 1 half court shot in 19 tries. Usually takes less than 10 attempts.

One of the biggest issues this team had this year was the lack of shot creation by anyone other than Zavier. Iggy, Matthews, Poole, and Livers are all really weak in the assist dept. Those four guys only combined for 185 assists this season with 183 TOs. That's a terrible Ast/TO ratio for those four. That forced us to have to run almost every bit of the offense through Zavier. The other guys just could not be trusted to make the right reads consistently.

I'll miss Charles, but on the offensive side of things, he did not provide anything other than the occasional mid-range and funky layup. He can't dribble, he's not a good outside shooter. Getting someone in there who can be a decent defender but provide an offensive punch will help.

I'll miss Charles, but on the offensive side of things, he did not provide anything other than the occasional mid-range and funky layup. He can't dribble, he's not a good outside shooter. Getting someone in there who can be a decent defender but provide an offensive punch will help.

I feel the same. Incredible defender, but wildly inconsistent on offense. He just could not develop a 3-point shot. He'd likely be a late 1st round pick if he had a 3-point shot. He'd be the perfect 3 and D guy in the NBA. He's just missing the 3 part of that equation.

Yeah it was a brick of a night that is for sure but that isn’t the question. We can agree to disagree, and look I love Simpson and he can create some shots and he sets guys up with assists but he really can’t create and hit a open a jumper espically from three. Jb has had guys like Burke, and Walton. Even Levert, and Miles. Maybe someone else I am forgetting. If Simpson can start hitting the open three at a better percentage it will go a long way in helping this team advance further again. All these four teams in the finally four have great shooting guards.

Last edited:
Yeah it was a brick of a night that is for sure but that isn?t the question. We can agree to disagree, and look I love Simpson and he can create some shots and he sets guys up with assists but he really can?t create and hit a open a jumper espically from three. Jb has had guys like Burke, and Walton. Even Levert, and Miles. Maybe someone else I am forgetting. If Simpson can start hitting the open three at a better percentage it will go a long way in helping this team advance further again. All these four teams in the finally four have great shooting guards.

Who the hell is Miles?

Who the hell is Miles?

Maybe bob is talking about the guy from Murphy Brown?

Miles-Silverberg.jpg

Last edited:
Who the hell is Miles?

Morris. I could not remember his name, and was to lazy to look it up even though I had espn open. Opps. So I thought Darius Miles instead.

We still need a point guard who can hit a jumper. That is fact. This year was Jb worst offensive team in a long time. Maybe missing time from his heart issue did have a effect on the bench not developing like it normally does. They mentioned that on the podcast
Also. Just a opinion.

Last edited:
Yeah it was a brick of a night that is for sure but that isn’t the question. We can agree to disagree, and look I love Simpson and he can create some shots and he sets guys up with assists but he really can’t create and hit a open a jumper espically from three. Jb has had guys like Burke, and Walton. Even Levert, and Miles. Maybe someone else I am forgetting. If Simpson can start hitting the open three at a better percentage it will go a long way in helping this team advance further again. All these four teams in the finally four have great shooting guards.

Well, we both agree about Simpson. I'm not arguing that. But for the podcast to lay that specific game on his inability to make a three is silly. The entire team sucked.

Last edited:
Well, we both agree about Simpson. I'm not arguing that. But for the podcast to lay that specific game on his inability to make a three is silly. The entire team sucked.

I agree with you. I think his point in the podcast was directly that Simpson while he is a fantastic guard he can?t create his own shot for a jumper like say Burke or Walton could. Maybe that isn?t his game. I think he was talking about Simpson?s threes for the season not just that game. Yeah no one could hit that game. Texas Tech defense plus missing wide open shots. I love this kid. He works so darn hard. It just sucks when we come up short by inches.

Simpson has improved every year from three but he needs to get it over 35%. Look how close the three Msu games were. Play or two here or there wins any of those games. They also brought up a good point about Jb not being able to work as much with the kids last summer because of his heart issue. Maybe that did hurt the bench development.

His percentage from Three.
=========
Winston?s

I agree with you. I think his point in the podcast was directly that Simpson while he is a fantastic guard he can?t create his own shot for a jumper like say Burke or Walton could. Maybe that isn?t his game. I think he was talking about Simpson?s threes for the season not just that game. Yeah no one could hit that game. Texas Tech defense plus missing wide open shots. I love this kid. He works so darn hard. It just sucks when we come up short by inches.

Simpson has improved every year from three but he needs to get it over 35%. Look how close the three Msu games were. Play or two here or there wins any of those games. They also brought up a good point about Jb not being able to work as much with the kids last summer because of his heart issue. Maybe that did hurt the bench development.

His percentage from Three.
=========
Winston?s

There are so many more factors than Simpson's 3-point shooting that were an issue this year. JB has also mentioned he took the transition game for granted this offseason. That hurt us because Iggy and Poole were really bad when you compare them to how Rahk and Robinson ran the transition game. Those two always ran hard and went to the right spot. Not the case with Iggy and Poole and JB was clearly frustrated by it through the season. He mentioned it on several occasions.

I already mentioned that everyone outside of Simpson really struggles to create for others. If we had one other guy we could trust to handle the ball and make the right reads, it would be huge. I'm hoping Poole can add that to his game next season if he's back. Maybe Iggy can, but he has much further to go in that regard.

Simpson doesn't have to shoot over 35% if the other guys get more consistent from three. Expecting him to improve that much is a bit of a pipe dream. 33% is probably the ceiling.

We had no one who was reliable at shooting the transition three. Finding the right spot on the floor for that will help and I know JB is going to emphasize the transition game heavily this offseason. Confident this will be corrected. We just need the guys to be consistent shooting it.

There are so many more factors than Simpson's 3-point shooting that were an issue this year. JB has also mentioned he took the transition game for granted this offseason. That hurt us because Iggy and Poole were really bad when you compare them to how Rahk and Robinson ran the transition game. Those two always ran hard and went to the right spot. Not the case with Iggy and Poole and JB was clearly frustrated by it through the season. He mentioned it on several occasions.

I already mentioned that everyone outside of Simpson really struggles to create for others. If we had one other guy we could trust to handle the ball and make the right reads, it would be huge. I'm hoping Poole can add that to his game next season if he's back. Maybe Iggy can, but he has much further to go in that regard.

Simpson doesn't have to shoot over 35% if the other guys get more consistent from three. Expecting him to improve that much is a bit of a pipe dream. 33% is probably the ceiling.

We had no one who was reliable at shooting the transition three. Finding the right spot on the floor for that will help and I know JB is going to emphasize the transition game heavily this offseason. Confident this will be corrected. We just need the guys to be consistent shooting it.

Yeah your probably right. Hopefully the freshmen make a huge jump this off season and play much better as Sophomores. I am assuming Livers will be a starter next season. Maybe Nunez will get his shot. Hopefully the new kids coming in can contribute.

Yeah your probably right. Hopefully the freshmen make a huge jump this off season and play much better as Sophomores. I am assuming Livers will be a starter next season. Maybe Nunez will get his shot. Hopefully the new kids coming in can contribute.

Castleton, Johns, and DDJ can definitely make the sophomore jump. I'm not holding my breath on Nunez, but hoping for the best.

Castleton has some of the same skills as Moe. He shot 38% from three in HS and handle the ball a bit. Not the same level of putting it on the floor as Moe, but he has it in his game. He was also an outstanding shot blocker. Once he gets stronger (Camp Sanderson this summer), I think JB is going to have a real weapon. If you look at our numbers with Teske off the floor, they are pretty terrible. Castleton being a good backup 5 will go a really long way next season.

Johns looked so hesitant playing the 5 this year that I just hope moving back to the 4 puts him at a good comfort level and we can see the talent come out. We know it's there.

DDJ really just needs to be a solid backup to X. Anything beyond that is icing. If he starts drilling pull-up threes in the pick and roll game, I'll be ecstatic. He could become a great 6th man scoring option if that comes to fruition.

Four-star guard Lester Quinones will take his final official visit to Michigan on April 29th. Quinones has previously taken official visits to LSU, Memphis and Maryland. He’ll also take an official visit to Indiana on April 12th. Quinones is down to a final seven that includes Michigan, Maryland, Memphis, LSU, Indiana, Ohio State and Georgia. Signs point to him making his college decision in May.

He'd be a great get, but as I previously mentioned his list is cause to expect he'll go elsewhere. LSU, Maryland, and Memphis have been the leaders. The squeakiest of squeaky clean programs!

His mom does love Michigan's academics, so we have something there.

Last edited:

Yet, I caught flak for suggesting this about Charles when he was hurt.

DDJ just doesn't flow very well off the tongue, why can't we just call him Dejulius?

Yeah, Davis and Nunez look like real reaches as far as their recruiting profiles. 3* recruits in the 300's in the nation.

Seems that is getting less and less, though. There should be 9 4* recruits on the roster + Teske next season. 2 of them being Mr Basketball for their respective class and state.

JB can't recruit!!

Last edited:
Back