Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Official Free Agency Signings

It's relative man. Once you make that much money, what more does a few million do for you??

By that logic... why would $50K be any kind of punishment for these guys?

Or to put it another way, $3MM is 17% of the total value of the contract. If your boss asked you to take a nearly 20% pay cut, you might (maybe) be able to survive that cut, but you damned sure wouldn't be happy about it.

That's a BIG chunk of change, no matter what your net worth.

Well unfortunately for me, I'm not getting millions of dollars from Nike, Adidas, Subway, Omaha Steaks, and whatever other spots I do.

So what is the limit that a guy is greedy vs ok? Is Tate a greedy guy for leaving Seattle to come to Detroit?

He took a few million more, left a better team to chase the bigger contract.

Or since he came here to people want to justify it because he isn't making 20 million?

No one has any idea what Suh's goals or plans are in football or after. Maybe he does need that extra 20 million over the life of the contract. Maybe he plans to make more large donations.

Who cares, if he wants money how can anyone blame him. It's his job. Loyalty is dead for the most part in the league. Get the money when people are throwing it at you. Have a couple bad injuries, all of a sudden those big pay checks are gone.

The idea of loyalty is a little funny. Apparently players are supposed to be loyal to teams, but no one gives a crap when teams dump players at the first sign of adversity. If the Lions are loyal to Suh, they'll give him the big contract he's earned by playing great for them.

So what is the limit that a guy is greedy vs ok? Is Tate a greedy guy for leaving Seattle to come to Detroit?

He took a few million more, left a better team to chase the bigger contract.

Or since he came here to people want to justify it because he isn't making 20 million?

No one has any idea what Suh's goals or plans are in football or after. Maybe he does need that extra 20 million over the life of the contract. Maybe he plans to make more large donations.

Who cares, if he wants money how can anyone blame him. It's his job. Loyalty is dead for the most part in the league. Get the money when people are throwing it at you. Have a couple bad injuries, all of a sudden those big pay checks are gone.

Tate got paid peanuts on contract one. If contract one is low, you get the most you can on contract 2. However

Suh got 65 million. There is the difference.

The idea of loyalty is a little funny. Apparently players are supposed to be loyal to teams, but no one gives a crap when teams dump players at the first sign of adversity. If the Lions are loyal to Suh, they'll give him the big contract he's earned by playing great for them.

Suh has not earned 120 million. He's not even truly worth 100 million but the Lions would give him 100 million. And may overpay for 120 millino.

Suh is talented but also just the luckiest man alive. Drafted in 2010 in top 5 and best free agent in a year where teams have 60 million to spend. Great timing for Suh.

Suh has not earned 120 million. He's not even truly worth 100 million but the Lions would give him 100 million. And may overpay for 120 millino.

Suh is talented but also just the luckiest man alive. Drafted in 2010 in top 5 and best free agent in a year where teams have 60 million to spend. Great timing for Suh.

So not trying to be a jerk here, but YOU don't decide how much he has earned. The team who pays his next contract does. That's the entire point of free agency.

Most of the things you mention have nothing to do with luck. He was the best player in college when he entered the draft and earned his spot there. He would be the best free agent in most years (primarily because teams are rarely mismanaged enough to let true superstars hit the market), and there is almost always at least one team with big time cap space. You can argue the relative value of a DT, but ultimately the market sets that value, not stats or your opinion.

So not trying to be a jerk here, but YOU don't decide how much he has earned. The team who pays his next contract does. That's the entire point of free agency.

Most of the things you mention have nothing to do with luck. He was the best player in college when he entered the draft and earned his spot there. He would be the best free agent in most years (primarily because teams are rarely mismanaged enough to let true superstars hit the market), and there is almost always at least one team with big time cap space. You can argue the relative value of a DT, but ultimately the market sets that value, not stats or your opinion.

It's pretty clear he is not worth 120 million. A desperate team will pay it. Could be Detroit.

It was luck the old CBA was still in place. It is timing luck. He has talent to go top 5 but it was luck which year it was and now how much there is to spend with a cap floor in play. Suh hit the luck jackpot twice.

It's pretty clear he is not worth 120 million. A desperate team will pay it. Could be Detroit.

It was luck the old CBA was still in place. It is timing luck. He has talent to go top 5 but it was luck which year it was and now how much there is to spend with a cap floor in play. Suh hit the luck jackpot twice.

The old CBA was in place for a long time, that's not luck. Luck is the league suddenly changing course on a rookie pay scale making potentially start players super cheap. Luck is finding a superstar DT on the third day of the draft and paying him peanuts until he hits UFA. Although even in the latter case, that player gets PAID when their initial contract ends.

And again, two teams with huge cap space this year is not luck, it happens every year if not quite to this degree. Getting paid huge money is not luck. True top DTs having been getting bigger and bigger contracts for years.

The old CBA was in place for a long time, that's not luck. Luck is the league suddenly changing course on a rookie pay scale making potentially start players super cheap. Luck is finding a superstar DT on the third day of the draft and paying him peanuts until he hits UFA. Although even in the latter case, that player gets PAID when their initial contract ends.

And again, two teams with huge cap space this year is not luck, it happens every year if not quite to this degree. Getting paid huge money is not luck. True top DTs having been getting bigger and bigger contracts for years.

2010 was the highest rate of pay on the old CBA. Timing luck for Suh

This year teams need to hit the cap floor. Timing luck for Suh.

It is luck for Suh in some aspects.

My big question on all this is simple...

Do any of you think Suh gives a rats ass whether fans of his former team think he's greedy?

I mean, I love how people are sitting here on a forum making up rules about a guy's greed vs. desire, but do any of you really think the man who signs the contract gives a shit about your opinions?

Last time I checked, fans booed or cheered a player for what they do on a field, not for how much money they have in their bank account.

Then don't tell me how much you love this city. Don't stand in front of a podium with tears streaming down your face.

I'd rather hear a stock answer of "I will work with my agent and see what happens." Don't sell us this BS about Detroit when none of it is true.

Some players care. Some don't. We'll see if Suh does soon.

So a player's loyalty should remain with a team simply because they drafted him? Not like he chose to come to Detroit in the first place, he had to come here because we sucked.

I find it interesting, that people think a individual should give a discount to help out the team, but those same people will want someone cut (Bush) to save some money because he doesn't perform. Seems like fans only care about loyalty one way...players loyalty to their team, no loyalty to the player from the team.

The problem is we WON'T learn much about Suh's motivations from free agency unless there is a huge outlier (taking a big cut to stay or go to a contender). If Suh signs with Jacksonville, does that mean that he doesn't care about Detroit/winning, or just that there were millions of dollars in difference between contracts offered? If Suh signs with Indy, does that mean that he wants to win, or again just that Indy offered him the best combination of salary and winning?

Maybe Suh does want out, maybe he hates Detroit. But no one can deny that he gave his all here and made a huge positive impact on the team's play. What I expect to learn from free agency is how much the Lions wanted to keep Suh, and nothing else. The Lions valued him less than the franchise tag cost. That's all I know, because that's the only variable that was completely under the team's control.

Then don't tell me how much you love this city. Don't stand in front of a podium with tears streaming down your face.

I'd rather hear a stock answer of "I will work with my agent and see what happens." Don't sell us this BS about Detroit when none of it is true.

He said "My agent will decide where I play next season, not me.".

How much more does he need to say on top of that?

I've been married twice. Loved my ex-wife. Still do really. You can't be with someone for 13 years and not love them. So frigging happy the bitch is gone. Wouldn't bring her back for anything.

You never loved something, yet knew it was a bad deal for you? If not, you've lived a truly blessed life the rest of us will never comprehend.

I am so tired of people on here saying a player owes a team. He gets paid to play. As long as he plays his ass off while under contract that is all he owes a team.

Lions have no problem cutting guys to save money on the cap. Hell we have a ton of dead money right now due to cutting players. So if a team is not loyal to its players how can you say the players need to give "hometown discount"

I am so tired of people on here saying a player owes a team. He gets paid to play. As long as he plays his ass off while under contract that is all he owes a team.

Lions have no problem cutting guys to save money on the cap. Hell we have a ton of dead money right now due to cutting players. So if a team is not loyal to its players how can you say the players need to give "hometown discount"

well, typically if there is dead money it is because that player took up front money that was meant to be spread out over the length of the contract. Basically, he already got paid for future performance. Cutting them with dead money can mean that player got paid for doing nothing since it was up front money.

We gave him 65 million and could give him another 100 million. At some point, enough is enough money.

I wouldn't take more money to work for a shitty boss, move to a different city I don't know and don't really care for that much and a different scheme (similar to my job but different). I like my boss/company, I like what I do and like my city, don't really need the extra money. And I'm not on Suh's level of pay.

Pretend someone offers you 20 k more to move to Jacksonville from where you live, your new boss is a dick, and the job is similar but not exactly the same (3-4 type team). Would you move?

well, typically if there is dead money it is because that player took up front money that was meant to be spread out over the length of the contract. Basically, he already got paid for future performance. Cutting them with dead money can mean that player got paid for doing nothing since it was up front money.

Yep exactly. The dead money is already money in the players pocket. Now Bush didn't get big un guranteed base salary in 2015-2016 but not many players got all the un-guaranteed money. It's just how the NFL work.

The NFL is all about getting paid big once really. Suh did this in 2010.

The 9.7 dead for Suh is already in his pocket. Same with Chris Houston.

Back