Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

He definitely got schooled by Showalter. I'm not sure if he did a bad job overall but I did not like the makeup of this team since spring. When is DD going to learn about defense? KC has the outfield we should have but we just keep drafting crap there.

He definitely got schooled by Showalter. I'm not sure if he did a bad job overall but I did not like the makeup of this team since spring. When is DD going to learn about defense? KC has the outfield we should have but we just keep drafting crap there.

Meh. Personally I don't think Bucky (or the Orioles in general) gets all that much credit for the ALDS win, as much as Ausmus/Bullpen gets the blame. It's not like Showalter had a great strategy to just hang around in games until the bullpen came in then score a shitload of runs.

He did the little things that helped put his team in a position to win. Ausmus did not do much, down in the 9th with your worst 3 hitters was due up and not try anything was bush. Sticking with same bullpen, not leaving Sanchez in, etc.. I'm not saying buck won the series, just did the little things.

I'm not impressed by Ausmus but he is not horrible, just inexperienced.

Last edited:
Experience means jack shit if he doesnt learn from his mistakes, and judging by the interview published today, he learned nothing at all.

Experience means jack shit if he doesnt learn from his mistakes, and judging by the interview published today, he learned nothing at all.

I think he's just afraid to admit he made the wrong choices, worried the media will crucify him over it. He has to know deep down by now that he fucked up.

Either that or he just has no place as a manager in baseball. Guess we'll find out in April.

A few of the highlights: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...gers-dombrowski-roster-moves-series/17258845/

Detroit — President and general manager Dave Dombrowski said Tuesday the Tigers will make no decisions about the makeup of their 2015 roster until after the World Series.

Starting pitcher Max Scherzer, designated hitter Victor Martinez and right fielder Torii Hunter are set to become free agents this offseason. In addition, the Tigers hold club options on catcher Alex Avila and relief pitcher Joakim Soria.

"We will wait until after the World Series to decide which players we want to keep," Dombrowski said during his season-ending news conference from Comerica Park.

Dombrowski said he'd "love" to bring back Martinez, who hit .335 with 32 homers and 103 runs batted in.

"We are a top-heavy team," he said of the Tigers' lineup. "I don't know that that's going to change."

detroitnews on livestream.com. Broadcast Live Free
He said the Tigers' top priorities this offseason would be center field, the bullpen and beefing up their left-handed hitting.

Dombrowski also rejected the idea that the Tigers' postseason failings we the result of poor managerial decisions.

"I don't think it's a fair criticism to put it on the manager," Dombrowski said, adding that Brad Ausmus would be back and he only expect his to get better.

He added: "We didn't have a good postseason. We've reached point as organization where our goal every year is to win World Series."

Dombrowski also said he was confident that Justin Verlander would rebound from a sub-par season: "I think he's driven to bounce back."

Verlander was 15-12 with a 4.54 earned-run average and 1.40 WHIP. The ERA and WHIP were well above his career averages, and 2015 was Verlander's second consecutive season with double-digit losses.

Rangers are declining Alex Rios's option. Good fit for replacing Hunter/Martinez

We need defense. Not referring to Rios but some really good defense. With Iggy back at short, hopefully Kinsler can have another good year and more and COF that are good defensive. Get the pen in good shape..maybe we can win with pitching and defense.

He had 4 HR in 500 AB last year. Not sure if that would be enough power out of a corner OF.
Played hurt a lot last year. I think that has more to do with it than anything considering he is only 33. Not my first choice but better than a lot of the options out there

We need defense. Not referring to Rios but some really good defense. With Iggy back at short, hopefully Kinsler can have another good year and more and COF that are good defensive. Get the pen in good shape..maybe we can win with pitching and defense.
Agree with that but unfortunately there are not a lot of plus defensive OF out there this offseason. May have to just settle on average. Which is still an upgrade

Agree with that but unfortunately there are not a lot of plus defensive OF out there this offseason. May have to just settle on average. Which is still an upgrade

Yep. I'd settle for average at this point..

No way on Rios. Walk rate is similar to Torii's. Only upgrade would be defensively. Go get Markakis.. If we settle on Rios, it better be for cheap.

No way on Rios. Walk rate is similar to Torii's. Only upgrade would be defensively. Go get Markakis.. If we settle on Rios, it better be for cheap.
Rios would come cheap after last season. Not sure if Markakis even leaves Baltimore. If you want a player like that get Akoi, would be almost half the price with a little drop in talent.

Rios would come cheap after last season. Not sure if Markakis even leaves Baltimore. If you want a player like that get Akoi, would be almost half the price with a little drop in talent.

Or we could sign Yasmani Tomas.. If he costs over $100 million, so what.. it'd be over 6 or 7 years and the Cuban kids have proven to be bargains thus far.

Or we could sign Yasmani Tomas.. If he costs over $100 million, so what.. it'd be over 6 or 7 years and the Cuban kids have proven to be bargains thus far.
The last thing the Tigers need is a 100 million dollar contract on an unproven player. Their payroll is already a mess

That and Tomas' only tool appears to be raw power. His hit tool, plate disc, speed, and defense are all either average at very best or completely unknown regarding facing MLB pitching.

Pass.

Back