Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

He did reach the high 90's in 2013. I remember early in the season, he was throwing low 90's and everyone was freaking about about low velocity, and then he began throwing heat again. He also reached high 90s in the postseason. Im not sure I would blame his huge drop on surgery. Maybe there is a certain amount of preparation and conditioning that his arm goes through in an offseason, that he didn't get to do last year. I doubt he ever throws 99 again.. but 97 is reachable, considering he got as high as 96 this year toward the end.

I just looked it up on fangrafs

fastball
minimum 91.1mph
max 101.5
avg 94.7

min 91.1
max 99.9
avg 94.0

If I remember correctly he wasn't at 99 last year prior to the core injury. I think that is just wishful thinking on his part.

You don't remember correctly.

And his injury started in 2013.

Now bitch about his contract or something.

I'm optimistic about Verlander pitching better.. I just don't see his velocity climbing back up to 100 MPH after an entire year of throwing mostly low 90's. Who knows, though. Even with mid-90's, which he still has, he should be able to strike guys out. This season was more of a command issue than velocity.

Saw some random (probably not true) rumors that the Dodgers might try to trade Puig. Who here would want him? I saw a few people on twitter suggest Price for Puig. Dunno if thats something that would ever happen, but I think I'd do that trade.

Last edited:
Saw some random (probably not true) rumors that the Dodgers might try to trade Puig. Who here would want him? I saw a few people on twitter suggest Price for Puig. Dunno if thats something that would ever happen, but I think I'd do that trade.

Puig is a flake so it wouldn't surprise me if they traded him. Mattingly hates him. He got benched in the playoffs. And, the Dodgers have an outfield log jam. On paper he looks like he would be a perfect fit for the Tigers, but I don't know if his baggage is worth having.

I remember this from spring:

Mattingly told reporters that Puig ?grabs something every time he takes a swing and misses.? Asked what injury caused Puig to leave Sunday?s game, Mattingly said, ?I guess his back.? He then seemed to react sarcastically when asked about the severity of the injury.
?Shoulder yesterday, back today, so I?m not sure if they?re going to get him tests or get him to the MRI Monday or a bone scan on Tuesday, maybe,? Mattingly said. ?I?m not quite sure what we?ll do. We may not do anything. I?m not sure.?

Puig would be a perfect #2 hitter in front of Miguel or VMart (if we can retain him) and RF. An across the board upgrade to Hunter, at less than half the salary.

Problem is, I don't see the dodgers trading Puig. The rumors seem to be from a tweet some guy (George Ofman) put out and Cubs fans RT'd to hell in the excitement. He has since backpeddled saying it was all hypothetical.

But hypothetically yes, Price for Puig? An everyday solid player for a 1/5 of the seasons games pitcher? I'll help David pack.

Puig is a flake so it wouldn't surprise me if they traded him. Mattingly hates him. He got benched in the playoffs. And, the Dodgers have an outfield log jam. On paper he looks like he would be a perfect fit for the Tigers, but I don't know if his baggage is worth having.

I remember this from spring:

Mattingly told reporters that Puig ?grabs something every time he takes a swing and misses.? Asked what injury caused Puig to leave Sunday?s game, Mattingly said, ?I guess his back.? He then seemed to react sarcastically when asked about the severity of the injury.
?Shoulder yesterday, back today, so I?m not sure if they?re going to get him tests or get him to the MRI Monday or a bone scan on Tuesday, maybe,? Mattingly said. ?I?m not quite sure what we?ll do. We may not do anything. I?m not sure.?

I think the Dodgers would ditch Mattingly before they traded Puig.

Anyway ... Verlander: I am not counting on the average velocity of his FB to hit 95+ ever again.

Anyway ... Verlander: I am not counting on the average velocity of his FB to hit 95+ ever again.
I'm not convinced of that. He may have struggled all year long with His off season surgery. We'll have a better indication of that next year.

I'm not convinced of that. He may have struggled all year long with His off season surgery. We'll have a better indication of that next year.

He hasn't averaged 95+ since 2011.

Players I want gone

Holladay
Coke
Kelly
Hunter
Suarez (to the bench or minors)
Nathan... (damn one more year)
Reed
Romine
Probably Johnson
Chamberlain I am iffy on..

He hasn't averaged 95+ since 2011.

Maybe Verlander will get back into that offseason "program" that allowed him to throw 100 MPH in the 9th inning. Although, he already has his contract, so those days are probably over.

Last edited:
Players I want gone

Holladay
Coke
Kelly
Hunter
Suarez (to the bench or minors)
Nathan... (damn one more year)
Reed
Romine
Probably Johnson
Chamberlain I am iffy on..

here is my list

Joba
Coke
Jonhson
Nathan (not going to happen)
Reed
Scherzer (just don't want them to sign him)
Holiday
Perez (minors)
Romine
Suarez (minors)
Carrerra (minors)
Hunter

anyone saying that they want hunter back is on crack, a .765 OPS is decent and for sure worth of a major league roster spot but if he demanded anything close to his previous contract you'd tell him to walk. With his defense, I think he's worth about 2-3m per year as a rotational outfielder.

anyone saying that they want hunter back is on crack, a .765 OPS is decent and for sure worth of a major league roster spot but if he demanded anything close to his previous contract you'd tell him to walk. With his defense, I think he's worth about 2-3m per year as a rotational outfielder.

I can't say I really want him back, but I'd probably pay him up to about $5mil on a 1yr deal. He's still a plus hitter with some power and he's a good veteran clubhouse guy. Plus, I don't see anybody waiting to take the other corner OF spot right now. Maybe he and Rajai could platoon? Certainly not the best option in the world, but I'm not strongly opposed to it.

I dont think the problem is with Ausmus, it was his first year as manager. I would like to see sherzer stay, but it wont happen and i dont want them shelling out the kinda of cash he is going to get. I dont like the idea of him in pin stripes but we will see. The bullpen is obviously a major problem. Coke and Nathan are terrible Soria was bad too but i think he will turn it around next year. I hope so anyways. I loved J.D and VMart's production this year, Miggy has a few good years left. As for the rotation, JV will never be an ace again. I hope he proves me wrong though. Price hopfully will resign after next year, Porcello had a good year and i think he will keep getting better, and sanchez will hopfully be healthy next year. I dont know what will be available in free agency, but i dont see DD going on a spending spree. PLatoon Avila with Mcann, and find a way to fill the outfield. Hunter SHOULD retire but he wont and the Tigers will resign him, Dirks sucks ass, and Davis should not be a starter. J.D Martinez is the only sure starter out there.

His offense is about the same as Nick Markakis and I would pay Markakis $15 Mil before I would give Hunter $5 Milv just on age and defense alone.

His offense is about the same as Nick Markakis and I would pay Markakis $15 Mil before I would give Hunter $5 Milv just on age and defense alone.

Who would you target for CF via trade or FA? I really don't know who might be available.

Who would you target for CF via trade or FA? I really don't know who might be available.

For the most part, there isn't a FA OFer other than maybe Seth Smith that I see providing any value.

Possible trades (probably have to give up Price or Sanchez)

Joc Pederson

Adam Eaton

Yasiel Puig

Even Matt Kemp could be had for the right price.

Oops...just saw the Padres signed Seth Smith to a contract extension. And I actually knew that. CRS attack.

Back