Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

For the most part, there isn't a FA OFer other than maybe Seth Smith that I see providing any value.

Possible trades (probably have to give up Price or Sanchez)

Joc Pederson

Adam Eaton

Yasiel Puig

Even Matt Kemp could be had for the right price.

Agreed. I would add Mookie Betts to that list, though. He's probably going to be shopped this winter for a starting pitcher. Let them have Price, as long as we get one of their good young SP in return as well as Betts.

Agreed. I would add Mookie Betts to that list, though. He's probably going to be shopped this winter for a starting pitcher. Let them have Price, as long as we get one of their good young SP in return as well as Betts.

Pass on Betts. He is a SS/2B who was forced to play CF this year. I want a "real" CFer and not a transplant.

Who would you target for CF via trade or FA? I really don't know who might be available.
They could try hard to pry Gardner from NY but they turned down Brandon Phillips for him last year. Would be tempted if you offered Price though.

Span will probably have his option picked up but I will be willing to bet they try to trade him. They have a logjam in the OF

Cheaper options are Peter Bourjous and Kevin Kiermeir to trade for. Then there is always Colby Rasmus as a FA

For the most part, there isn't a FA OFer other than maybe Seth Smith that I see providing any value.

Possible trades (probably have to give up Price or Sanchez)

Joc Pederson

Adam Eaton

Yasiel Puig

Even Matt Kemp could be had for the right price.
Those three names seem pretty untouchable to me. Dodgers even told the Rays that much at the trade deadline

They could try hard to pry Gardner from NY but they turned down Brandon Phillips for him last year. Would be tempted if you offered Price though.

Span will probably have his option picked up but I will be willing to bet they try to trade him. They have a logjam in the OF

Cheaper options are Peter Bourjous and Kevin Kiermeir to trade for. Then there is always Colby Rasmus as a FA

Why would the Rays trade Kiermeir? Bourjos is a 4th outfielder in the same vein as Davis, but without the speed. The Nats may trade Span, whos coming off a career year, but we better not be the ones overpaying for it. There is slim pickings for a CFer, so we will probably have to see another year of Davis and go after a corner outfielder.

GMs and managers usually get longer than a one year window, especially when the W-L record dropped only by five. Then there's the question as to what created the -5.

Lots of factors involved. Lots of finger-pointing on the field too.

Last edited:
Why would the Rays trade Kiermeir? Bourjos is a 4th outfielder in the same vein as Davis, but without the speed. The Nats may trade Span, whos coming off a career year, but we better not be the ones overpaying for it. There is slim pickings for a CFer, so we will probably have to see another year of Davis and go after a corner outfielder.
They would trade Kiermeir because he was not one of there top OF prospects, he was a pleasant surprise. I have read some rays blogs suspecting they could sell high with him. They have a pretty deep OF as is.

Bourjous is nothing pretty on offense true, but he still is one of the top defensive CF's in baseball, just putting him out there as an option. Also Span besides hitting 15pts higher than his career avg is in line with all of his other yearly averages so I wouldnt call it a career year.

Me honestly I would prefer signing Rasmus and Aoki for CF and RF then let Raji be your 4th OF.

There way too many holes this team has to address! For me to think that management been doing a good job. I had a much bigger post as I started to list all the problems and the why's, H_ _ l I got lost with so many. For a pay roll of 160+ mill way too many things need fixing!

I want neither of them, especially Rasmus.
They are better defensively and a wash offensively than what have been out there. Wont have to sacrifice picks or prospects and come on short term deals.

Lets face it, where not signing Melky or Markakis, or trading for Joc Pederson or Puig. Not much out there

They are better defensively and a wash offensively than what have been out there. Wont have to sacrifice picks or prospects and come on short term deals.

Lets face it, where not signing Melky or Markakis, or trading for Joc Pederson or Puig. Not much out there

You understand why nobody wants Rasmus correct?

Besides being a Non clutch hitter and gigantic D.B.? What are your options though, he is at the very least a upgrade over Davis. Average defender with pop from the left side. Needs to get his obp back respectable like he did the last few years before last. But yes, he K's a ton and its annoying

I still outright despise him for the dirty slide that took out Omar for a while last year. I want him to get hit by a bus.

There way too many holes this team has to address! For me to think that management been doing a good job. I had a much bigger post as I started to list all the problems and the why's, H_ _ l I got lost with so many. For a pay roll of 160+ mill way too many things need fixing!

There aren't that many holes. We have the best Starting pitching and the best 345 hitters in baseball. We need an outfielder/leadoff man a Shortstop and one or two relievers. My wish list
1. Sign Victor
2. Sign Andrew Miller
3. HanRam would be awesome.

We don't need a shortstop, we have Iggy. CF is the #1 thing to fix this offseason along with the bullpen. Preferably one with good plate discipline who can lead off and play good defense.

So, DD will go for one with a raw power tool, speed, questionable defense, and zero plate discipline.

There aren't that many holes. We have the best Starting pitching and the best 345 hitters in baseball. We need an outfielder/leadoff man a Shortstop and one or two relievers. My wish list
1. Sign Victor
2. Sign Andrew Miller
3. HanRam would be awesome.
There are a lot of holes. 2 OF's, DH if Victor leaves, SP, at least 3 BP arms, and a respectable bench. All of that with not much payroll flexibility

The last part is why I think a blockbuster involving one or more of Sanchez, Kinsler, or maybe even Price is coming this winter. The team has too many holes to fill with too little payroll flexibility.

The last part is why I think a blockbuster involving one or more of Sanchez, Kinsler, or maybe even Price is coming this winter. The team has too many holes to fill with too little payroll flexibility.
Makes more sense to trade Price than Sanchez but I agree with you. We can get a young controllable arm for Price like a Shelby Miller and sign somone like Brandon McCarthy for 2/3 what it will cost for price. Kinsler may be a little harder too move, Braves may be an option.

Back