Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Suh not being franchised

Indy may have the money, but Oakland has a wonderful tradition of paying way too much for good talent and bad... and way too much money this year to do it with.

To hit their salary floor, they will have to spend about $53MM this offseason, which means they can give Suh $27MM as if he were tagged up front to make the final years nice and smooth, and it helps them eat up some of that money they don't otherwise know how to spend.

Unless something happens between now and Monday, my bet is Suh is a Raider before Tuesday morning.

No player should ever chase a title over the money. Let's be real, no one knows who is going to win a Super Bowl. It's unpredictable. Recent titles by the Giants, Ravens, and even the Pats... none of which were considered the "favorites" when the season started.

The money is real.. the dream of a title eludes a lot of players. It's a job, you go where the money is. If you chase the title, you will likely end your career dissapointed, and a lot poorer for it.

Indy may have the money, but Oakland has a wonderful tradition of paying way too much for good talent and bad... and way too much money this year to do it with.

To hit their salary floor, they will have to spend about $53MM this offseason, which means they can give Suh $27MM as if he were tagged up front to make the final years nice and smooth, and it helps them eat up some of that money they don't otherwise know how to spend.

Unless something happens between now and Monday, my bet is Suh is a Raider before Tuesday morning.

No player should ever chase a title over the money. Let's be real, no one knows who is going to win a Super Bowl. It's unpredictable. Recent titles by the Giants, Ravens, and even the Pats... none of which were considered the "favorites" when the season started.

The money is real.. the dream of a title eludes a lot of players. It's a job, you go where the money is. If you chase the title, you will likely end your career dissapointed, and a lot poorer for it.

Ideally you build via the draft. Teams nowadays can fail so bad but manage their cap in a way that they can rebuild quickly via FA. Mayhew managed to somehow do neither and have to rebuild a shitty 0 win team with no cap space. I really have no idea how you can manage to do that.....but he did.

Ideally you build via the draft. Teams nowadays can fail so bad but manage their cap in a way that they can rebuild quickly via FA. Mayhew managed to somehow do neither and have to rebuild a shitty 0 win team with no cap space. I really have no idea how you can manage to do that.....but he did.

Millen put them in a cap mess too as did the old CBA. Mayhew built this team very well. Made us of restructures properly.

Even the guys that failed, Houston for instance. Right call at the time on signing him after a Suh restrcture. If we don't sign him, maybe we don't get Quin and get a different corner. Or maybe we take Milliner and not Ansah.

Restructures were correct, FA signins were correct, draft is good. We have a very talented roster and room for suh if we want to overpay. If not we just have room for whoever.

I wholeheartedly disagree with "no player should chase a title over money." At some point, there's gotta be a point to what you are doing. If you have an opportunity to take a slightly smaller contract and win a title, you have to try. I would think there are plenty of players who would trade in a few million for a ring.

Last edited:
Millen put them in a cap mess too as did the old CBA. Mayhew built this team very well. Made us of restructures properly.

Even the guys that failed, Houston for instance. Right call at the time on signing him after a Suh restrcture. If we don't sign him, maybe we don't get Quin and get a different corner. Or maybe we take Milliner and not Ansah.

Restructures were correct, FA signins were correct, draft is good. We have a very talented roster and room for suh if we want to overpay. If not we just have room for whoever.

I never had a problem with Houston. having a poor team and be in cap hell for all those years makes no sense. Having a poor team like Jax with a TON of cap room atleast makes some sense. It was mismanaged.

I wholeheartedly disagree with "no player should chase a title over money." At some point, there's gotta be a point to what you are doing. If you have an opportunity to take a slightly smaller contract and win a title, you have to try. I would think there are plenty of players who would trade in a few million for a ring.

Any player would gladly give up some coin for a title.

Now, which team will win SuperBowl 50? If you can't answer that definitively, neither can the players, coaches, or analysts.

Chasing a title is like chasing the stock market, it's mythical until it becomes real, and then it's already over. There is not one team in the NFL guaranteed to win a championship, and about 16 teams right now have as good a shot as anyone. It all boils down to who's starters stay healthiest, or who's backups have enough talent to step in and play.

You sing with the Pats, the Giants win a title. You sign with the Giants, and the Seahawks take it. Sign with Seattle and maybe Dallas wins it. There are no guarantees, which is why they play the game instead of deciding a champion based on the roster on paper.

Being an NFL player is a job, and you base your job decisions on the money, not on a championship you may never see. Ask Dan Marino.

Well I'll reframe it like this. If Suh decided that his top two options are Jacksonville and Detroit. Jacksonville offered 20 million, and Detroit offered 16. It would be a damn shame to have him ditch a city that looks to be building towards a title vs a JV team. Same with Oakland.

Yes, it's hard to predict who will win a SB in 5 years. But there are some teams that likely won't get there for a LONG time.

Last edited:
Well I'll reframe it like this. If Suh decided that his top two options are Jacksonville and Detroit. Jacksonville offered 20 million, and Detroit offered 16. It would be a damn shame to have him ditch a city that looks to be building towards a title vs a JV team. Same with Oakland.

Yes, it's hard to predict who will win a SB in 5 years. But there are some teams that likely won't get there for a LONG time.

Agreed. But in reality if a team like jax really wants him they will pay him 25+ for the first couple years.

The Lions went from 0-16 in 2008 to 2-14 in 2009, 6-10 in 2010, and then 10-6 and in the playoffs in 2011.

In three years they went from being the only winless team ever in a 16 game season, to being in the playoffs.

Jacksonville isn't starting from even close to that bleak a season, and doesn't have near as far to go. And how do they get there? They rebuild with quality players and a commitment to win.

Any team can turn things around, because they all play with the same restrictions.. same number of players on the roster, same number on the field, and the same salary cap. The only difference is, Jacksonville doesn't have 50+ years of losing history behind them... the Lions do.

If you ask me, he's got to be more confident signing with a team like Jax than returning to Detroit.

And also.. FOUR MILLION DOLLARS?!

Man, that is more coin that most people will see in their entire lifetimes, and you act like it's basically the same deal, like it's just a Big Mac and a Coke away from being identical.

Four million bucks a season and I would let Suh tackle my ass every day and hope I survive. For four million bucks, I would let Mike Tyson nibble on my ear until he wasn't hungry for dinner.

It's different for athletes man, sports aren't real. It's a fantasy land. You think 2-4 million a year for a guy who pulls in a ridiculous salary already really matters that much?? How many more Porsches, Rolexs, mansions, etc... does someone need? If we are talking about someone who goes from 4 to 8 million, fine. But once you hit that much of a star status, it's just pouring out of the treasure chest.

You'd think over the last two years you hear Suh saying something about wanting to be here. IMO, he clearly doesn't. At the presser, those teams were happy tears.."I'm <sniff> finally done <sniff> <sniff> with Detroit <sniff>."

You'd think over the last two years you hear Suh saying something about wanting to be here. IMO, he clearly doesn't. At the presser, those teams were happy tears.."I'm <sniff> finally done <sniff> <sniff> with Detroit <sniff>."

Nah man, he clearly felt his team had a good championship run in it, and they fell short in painful fashion. A lot of athletes have cried when their playoff run fell short.

But for anyone to think he was crying at the thought of leaving Detroit... well, that's just ludicrous.

The Lions went from 0-16 in 2008 to 2-14 in 2009, 6-10 in 2010, and then 10-6 and in the playoffs in 2011.

In three years they went from being the only winless team ever in a 16 game season, to being in the playoffs.

Jacksonville isn't starting from even close to that bleak a season, and doesn't have near as far to go. And how do they get there? They rebuild with quality players and a commitment to win.

Any team can turn things around, because they all play with the same restrictions.. same number of players on the roster, same number on the field, and the same salary cap. The only difference is, Jacksonville doesn't have 50+ years of losing history behind them... the Lions do.

If you ask me, he's got to be more confident signing with a team like Jax than returning to Detroit.

Not getting endorsement money in Jville, ie, south Georgia

Detroit needs to guranteed his first 4 yrs, ie, 70 mil and coincidently get Ford Motor Co to give him a lucrative endorsement package..

Jacksonville has no state income tax. That's an extra 4% he keeps from any contract he signs there compared to Detroit. 20+ million dollars over the course of a contract matters. I know from our 30-100K salaries it seems like those extra millions wouldn't matter, but it does, and it's borderline stupid to suggest it doesn't. If Jacksonville offers Suh 20 million per year, he SHOULD take it. The potential of winning in Detroit (which historically isn't good) in no way makes up for 20 million dollars. Honestly how much different is Jacksonville now from Detroit when Suh was drafted? If you believe Detroit had a real chance to win a superbowl in the last 5 years, then you have no reason to suggest Jacksonville won't in the next 5.

Jacksonville has no state income tax. That's an extra 4% he keeps from any contract he signs there compared to Detroit. 20+ million dollars over the course of a contract matters. I know from our 30-100K salaries it seems like those extra millions wouldn't matter, but it does, and it's borderline stupid to suggest it doesn't. If Jacksonville offers Suh 20 million per year, he SHOULD take it. The potential of winning in Detroit (which historically isn't good) in no way makes up for 20 million dollars. Honestly how much different is Jacksonville now from Detroit when Suh was drafted? If you believe Detroit had a real chance to win a superbowl in the last 5 years, then you have no reason to suggest Jacksonville won't in the next 5.

True any team can turn it around. But 2015/2016 won't be fun in Jacksonville.

True any team can turn it around. But 2015/2016 won't be fun in Jacksonville.

We have to keep in mind the team needs to spend almost 60 million on free agents this offseason. The team we saw last year is going to be very different from the team playing there next year. They could afford Suh, Cobb, Murray, Hughes, McCourty, plus half of an offensive line with money to spare. Jacksonville won't land all the top free agents in reality, but you can't ignore the fact that Jacksonville has a huge team improvement option that the Lions didn't when they were rebuilding.

Back