Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Suh not being franchised

We have to keep in mind the team needs to spend almost 60 million on free agents this offseason. The team we saw last year is going to be very different from the team playing there next year. They could afford Suh, Cobb, Murray, Hughes, McCourty, plus half of an offensive line with money to spare. Jacksonville won't land all the top free agents in reality, but you can't ignore the fact that Jacksonville has a huge team improvement option that the Lions didn't when they were rebuilding.

They have way too many holes. Not every free agent works out either just because you hand them big money. 2015 at least will be rough. 2016 might be better. Lions clearly are a more win now team.

They have way too many holes. Not every free agent works out either just because you hand them big money. 2015 at least will be rough. 2016 might be better. Lions clearly are a more win now team.

Lions have a better team today, I'm not arguing that. But just as free agents can bust, really good free agency returns happen too. You say they have too many holes, but the Lions aren't without flaws either. Jacksonville has better picks and crazy money to fill those holes. Certainly there is potential (and likelihood) that Jacksonville is still not a playoff team next year, but there's also a real chance they are better than the Lions.

You can't presume the worst case for one team without at least acknowledging it with the other. The Lions didn't make the playoffs the two years before last. The Lions could just as easily miss the playoffs next year even if Suh comes back.

Lions have a better team today, I'm not arguing that. But just as free agents can bust, really good free agency returns happen too. You say they have too many holes, but the Lions aren't without flaws either. Jacksonville has better picks and crazy money to fill those holes. Certainly there is potential (and likelihood) that Jacksonville is still not a playoff team next year, but there's also a real chance they are better than the Lions.

You can't presume the worst case for one team without at least acknowledging it with the other. The Lions didn't make the playoffs the two years before last. The Lions could just as easily miss the playoffs next year even if Suh comes back.

Lions are playoff and Super Bowl caliber. They were in 2013 too(playoff caliber) but had turnover, injury and coaching issues, not talent issues. Lions are way better than Jacksonville. It's not even close. Even with a perfect offseason, Jacksonville won't be close talent wise to Detroit.

Lions are playoff and Super Bowl caliber. They were in 2013 too(playoff caliber) but had turnover, injury and coaching issues, not talent issues. Lions are way better than Jacksonville. It's not even close. Even with a perfect offseason, Jacksonville won't be close talent wise to Detroit.

Again, your rosy picture of the Lions and dark view of Jacksonville aren't mutually predictive. If you accept the best case view of Detroit being superbowl caliber, you have to at least accept the best case view of Jacksonville having a tremendous offseason.

a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 25 years, has a QB that has never beaten a winning team on the road and has a 2-31 record vs. teams that end the season with a winning record is "Super Bowl Caliber"

Hell, over the past 20 years Jacksonville has 5 more playoff wins than the Lions! Pathetic!

Jacksonville statistically across the board are horrible. They are totally devoid of any talent. They had 11 wins in 2007, since then, they haven't gotten over .500. With the way management handles their team, and the fact that no one wants to stay there past two years, they could be destined for eternal suckage.

If Suh went to Jacksonville, Detroit is still exponentially more talented than they are. Same with Oakland.

Jacksonville statistically across the board are horrible. They are totally devoid of any talent. They had 11 wins in 2007, since then, they haven't gotten over .500. With the way management handles their team, and the fact that no one wants to stay there past two years, they could be destined for eternal suckage.

If Suh went to Jacksonville, Detroit is still exponentially more talented than they are. Same with Oakland.

Again, that is true only insofar as you predict Jacksonville will blow the cap space they have. There are plenty of players equally or greater in talent to Lions counterparts available, and Jacksonville could arguably afford them all.

Sure they can, but let's not lose sight of what we are talking about. This is about a guy who will be taking a few more million a year to play for a team that is absolute dog shit. I understand it's all about the money, but it's just hard for me to grasp that when you make THAT much, a few million a year to go play for a garbage organization that doesn't really seem to be moving upward at all doesn't make a noticeable difference.

Great, he can buy more Porsches, bigger houses, whatever. But there has to be a point of diminishing returns. How much more do you need when you can go into a store and buy the whole thing?

Last edited:
Sure they can, but let's not lose sight of what we are talking about. This is about a guy who will be taking a few more million a year to play for a team that is absolute dog shit. I understand it's all about the money, but it's just hard for me to grasp that when you make THAT much, a few million a year to go play for a garbage organization that doesn't really seem to be moving upward at all doesn't make a noticeable difference.

Great, he can buy more Porsches, bigger houses, whatever. But there has to be a point of diminishing returns. How much more do you need when you can go into a store and buy the whole thing?

Just because you can't see the excess value doesn't mean it does not exist. Diminishing returns are not catching up so quick that a few million per year means nothing. Suh is not Bill Ford here, he's not a billionaire where a million or two is less than 1% of his worth. Suh's lifestyle does not exist on the same plane as our own, nor likely do his ambitions. This is a guy that has talked about owning businesses after football. That stuff is the kind of expensive that makes 16 million vs 20 million a huge difference.

If all he wanted to do was sit in a pool and drink champagne the rest of his life then sure, 16-20 million is little difference, but that's not likely the case.

It would be interesting to see what would happen here if Suh took slightly less to go play for another team that he viewed as more of a Superbowl contender.
Heads would explode.

It would be interesting to see what would happen here if Suh took slightly less to go play for another team that he viewed as more of a Superbowl contender.
Heads would explode.

Probably just LKP's, since he's the only one who thinks the Lions are the best team in the league.

I'd accept that, it means the dude cares more about winning that money, which would make a lot of the conversation on here about "all players want is the most dollar possible" a little bit flimsy.

Players have taken pay cuts to win. It happens.

I'd accept that, it means the dude cares more about winning that money, which would make a lot of the conversation on here about "all players want is the most dollar possible" a little bit flimsy.

Players have taken pay cuts to win. It happens.

I don't think anyone is really saying all players want is the most possible dollar. I think people are saying, you can't blame a guy if that is his goal. If he wants the most possible dollar there is nothing wrong with that.

I suppose so. But I would definitely be irritated if it was a couple more million per year to play for Oakland or Jacksonville. Then you know it's only money.

I suppose so. But I would definitely be irritated if it was a couple more million per year to play for Oakland or Jacksonville. Then you know it's only money.

Could be, could also be lifestyle choice. Maybe he hates snow.

Oakland would essentially be a paycut for "only" a few million more. With their 12.3% tax rate on income over 500k.

Probably just LKP's, since he's the only one who thinks the Lions are the best team in the league.

I'd actually accept that from him.

It just means Suh thinks Detroit as a city is a shit hole. Might not mean he thinks the team sucks.

that doesn't make life easy for Mayhew.

Old CBA problems, shit hole city to lure free agents. Tough job.

which is why the draft is so important...the players don't have a choice!

Last edited:
Back