Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official New ][V][ichigan Head Coach Search Thread

Some one on ESPN earlier was talking about the class of the B1G and mentioned Michigan in there with OSU and MSU. And I thought, well at least they are still including Michigan in there as a leading program. How much longer will that last?

If it wasn't for that sugar bowl year, it would have already happened. Change needs to happen. Now.

I feel the alumni's checkbooks flew open tonight and a BIG name will lead the boys out of that tunnel next year.

Some one on ESPN earlier was talking about the class of the B1G and mentioned Michigan in there with OSU and MSU. And I thought, well at least they are still including Michigan in there as a leading program. How much longer will that last?

How much longer? If they had any sense (or functioning eyes), they quit saying that before today's game ended.

I would have expected John to be the more likely Harbaugh.

The OTL report makes him the sympathetic figure though; he wanted to release Ray Rice.

Jim Harbaugh isn't coming to college football without a Super Bowl ring on his resume, and he's not going to win one this year and then leave for college.

If Hoke is fired, his replacement is likely someone we're not discussing now. It's not either of the Harbaughs, Miles, etc.

Part of me still thinks Brandon brought in Nussmeier with at the very least considering he may be promoted to the HC position, and this was a way to appease the diehard traditionalists who don't want to bring in someone unfamiliar with UM to be the HC.

Similar to my thinking too

Nussmeier wouldn't move the needle. Whatever changes he's done for the offense have not been noticeable after a third of the season

Nussmeier wouldn't move the needle. Whatever changes he's done for the offense have not been noticeable after a third of the season

I started to type that he is still questionable.

I don't know if we can go the rest if the season like this. We need someone in charge now

Nussmeier? Seriously? 8 quarters against quality competition. 3 points. What in world is there to suggest that Doug Nussmeier is the guy to bring Michigan back?

I think it was a thought when he was hired. Given it was going into hoke year 4
But yes we gave not seen much

I think I have to question what do you expect the roles of HC, OC, DC are. ...I don't mean win games but specifically who does what and how do they work together

Why is Funk still employed by the University of Michigan? We have the worst offensive line on earth.

Nuss has basically proven that Alabama won with defense. I want him fired immediately. It isn't like the offense will score fewer points.

They moved their best TE to WR and yet I am yet to see him come down the line and flatten a DE from the blind side. Is it just me? Doesn't it make sense to take out a DE on a run play by crashing a former TE into him? Bring him in motion to build up steam and pancake the DE while pulling the T to take out the CB or LB or whomever is next. It would make the DEs start to think twice after getting their bell rung, which Funch would enjoy doing.

I don't get why Nuss has not shown any ability to get the offense going. DG nor Shane look at all capable of leading the team any more.

Just trying to think of head coaches who have had success at places that leaving for Michigan would be a step up. Gary Pinkel comes to mind. They don't set the world on fire, and I get that they just lost to Indiana. But the guy wins at a place that can't get the same talent as the blue bloods, and he puts guys into the NFL.

I'm looking for a guy who can teach his guys to play and get them to execute. This staff is failing to do that.

What about BYU's coach? Hell, what about Utah's coach?

I'm not interested in gambling on a coordinator.

Nuss has basically proven that Alabama won with defense. I want him fired immediately. It isn't like the offense will score fewer points.

They moved their best TE to WR and yet I am yet to see him come down the line and flatten a DE from the blind side. Is it just me? Doesn't it make sense to take out a DE on a run play by crashing a former TE into him? Bring him in motion to build up steam and pancake the DE while pulling the T to take out the CB or LB or whomever is next. It would make the DEs start to think twice after getting their bell rung, which Funch would enjoy doing.

I don't get why Nuss has not shown any ability to get the offense going. DG nor Shane look at all capable of leading the team any more.

Your biggest beef is that the top WR has yet to crack a DE?

You want to take the only offensive weapon on the field and run him into a man bigger than he is?

I'll go out on a limb here and risk my own credibility by calling it logical, but not realistic.

The coach from Northern Illinois Rod Carey would be a good candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No coaches from the MAC please. I know, there are probably some good coaches in the MAC and lower divisions of college football. I feel that they need to attract a coach that has won in a power conference, though. The problem with that is to convince them to leave a successful job in a power conference to come to Michigan and take over this project.

He does have a pretty good history of producing offensive lines wherever he goes, maybe he could help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel the alumni's checkbooks flew open tonight and a BIG name will lead the boys out of that tunnel next year.

You think the checkbooks are still opening for Brandon? He already played the this-is-an-emergency-open-your-checkbooks-card to fly the band to Jerryworld. I know that's a much smaller case, but at some point the checkbooks could close on him too.

I don't understand this talk of checkbooks needing to be opened. Did the AD already blow through Steve Ross' $100MM? Or did all the AD's existing hundreds of millions of dollars aside from Ross' gift disappear? I don't think this is an issue.

I don't understand this talk of checkbooks needing to be opened. Did the AD already blow through Steve Ross' $100MM? Or did all the AD's existing hundreds of millions of dollars aside from Ross' gift disappear? I don't think this is an issue.

That's true. Not paying coaches enough isn't the problem anyway.

...how about not wanting Dave Brandon choosing and negotiating with our next coach? Is that a bandwagon anyone else can get on. Although the new President might be ready to go U of Chicago on our football program for all we know...put Duderstadt in charge of athletics or something like that.

Back