Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official New ][V][ichigan Head Coach Search Thread

That's true. Not paying coaches enough isn't the problem anyway.

...how about not wanting Dave Brandon choosing and negotiating with our next coach? Is that a bandwagon anyone else can get on. Although the new President might be ready to go U of Chicago on our football program for all we know...put Duderstadt in charge of athletics or something like that.

I've wondered this too. Does Schlissel's recent arrival (and minimal experience with major college athletics) afford Brandon an extra year or two? Or do the Regents make that decision? What kind of precedent is there here for firing an AD?

I wish the asshole would just resign. Brady has a little more time to turn things around (I'm not optimistic at all, btw), but Brandon should go yesterday.

I've wondered this too. Does Schlissel's recent arrival (and minimal experience with major college athletics) afford Brandon an extra year or two? Or do the Regents make that decision? What kind of precedent is there here for firing an AD?

I wish the asshole would just resign. Brady has a little more time to turn things around (I'm not optimistic at all, btw), but Brandon should go yesterday.
Don't feel like verifying this but I was playing golf in Ann Arbor recently at th e club Brandon is a member at and I heard someone on the range b itching that domino's stock has tripled since he left.

Yes a chicago bschool grad got distinguished alumni award and is lists as turning dominos around

Schlissel has more academic things to start with plus CFO of university
Regents can probably force it but I don't see them doing that to a former regent
I think Brandon has another year

People need to realize that this President Schlissel guy has to make the right decisions. Even if he doesnt like football, he still has to make everbody happy. If he even thinks about screwing around with football program or not giving it the attention it deserves, he wont be President very long. He still has to be accountable.

That's true. Not paying coaches enough isn't the problem anyway.

...how about not wanting Dave Brandon choosing and negotiating with our next coach? Is that a bandwagon anyone else can get on. Although the new President might be ready to go U of Chicago on our football program for all we know...put Duderstadt in charge of athletics or something like that.

I just don't see anyone seriously doing anything that would impair the long run or short run profitability of Michigan football. There's probably a more recent measure, but according to this Forbes article from last year, in '11-'12 Michigan football brought in $85MM (2nd highest out there) against football-related expenses of $23MM. That's ~$62MM dollars of profit (!?), and the next time someone in America intentionally tries to reduce the profitability of something that big, it will be the first.

When schools de-emphasized athletics in the past, as the Ivies did, and UChicago, I would seriously doubt they were anywhere near that amount, either in nominal terms, or relative to the rest of their budgets. Nor did they have so many other people so invested in them, like the BTN, the NCAA & Bowls, and boosters.

I think Brandon would have another year regardless, but Schlissel doesn't seem ready to make a move, nor does he seem to want to (see quote & next comment).

Yes a chicago bschool grad got distinguished alumni award and is lists as turning dominos around

Schlissel has more academic things to start with plus CFO of university
Regents can probably force it but I don't see them doing that to a former regent
I think Brandon has another year

I agree. he seems smart enough to realize wading into athletics as a first order of business is not a wise move for him, or maybe any university president. All you could possibly do is generate negative press from sports fans/press & at the same time lose the respect of the faculty for seeming to focus on athletics over academics.

to my knowledge, the only public comments we have from Schlissel about football were him sidestepping the fireworks issue, saying he was happy to leave it up to the regents because he was too new.

There is this quote though:
"The day after the vote, incoming President Mark Schlissel told a reporter that, being new, he had no opinion on the matter. He made it a point to tell the faithful he appreciates just how important athletics are to the university culture, but he added, 'We're an academic institution, so I want to work on the appropriate balance between athletics and academics ... The athletic director does have delegated responsibilities, but he works for me.'"
reading between the lines, that means he doesn't care about athletics unless it starts to affect University business (i.e. take up the Regents' time) and that's a clear message to Brandon to knock off the Disneyfication of the football program & athletics, or whatever else he may do that would rock the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
No coaches from the MAC please. I know, there are probably some good coaches in the MAC and lower divisions of college football. I feel that they need to attract a coach that has won in a power conference, though. The problem with that is to convince them to leave a successful job in a power conference to come to Michigan and take over this project.

Here are a few head coaches from the MAC that had some success

Urban Meyer
Nick Saban
Bo Schembechler

Tom, there's not really more time for this program to get a guy that is having success at a lower level and groom him for 3-4 years. They need to win now. It's easy to say bring in a Harbaugh or Les Miles-type of coach, but that's what is necessary at this juncture.

Here are a few head coaches from the MAC that had some success

Urban Meyer
Nick Saban
Bo Schembechler

Urban Meyer didn't go from the MAC straight to Florida. He made a stop in between.

Nick Saban didn't go straight from the MAC to LSU. He made a stop in between.

Bo was 100 years ago

For that matter, Saban coached in the MAC 50 years ago

You're not really comparing apples and oranges. Just because there have been 1 or 2 successful coaches that got their start in the MAC doesn't mean that I should want them to get a coach from there.

My choices. so far until I look around..

Kevin Sumlin (played at Purdue) Heck Michigan has to have more money then
Texas A&M.

Maybe a guy like Craig Bohl.. He played at Nebraska then coached
at North Dakota st. and lead them a lot of championships.
He is 3-1 in his first year at Wyoming. Not as young as I would
like to see. He is also going to get rolled by MSU this week...lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Bohl

I will think of some others...I just don't think either of the Harbaughs are coming
and I do not think MSU lets go of Narduzzi.

Last edited:
Sumlin's not going to leave the SEC, where he is starting to build a winner to come to the Big Ten.

It's either going to be one of the Harbaughs (more likely John. I don't see him surviving this Ray Rice ordeal, and he's always had Michigan as a dream job), or someone we completely don't expect.

Uruapan was 2 years at Mac school and 2 years at mountain west before Florida

Really four years total

I don't think success is always predictable

Tressel was fcs school

I just want them to be mire open in consideration and have folks who can assess these candidates before just going on a name

Brandon has to also try to let go if some if his control

In not-so-breaking news:

Harbaugh has very little interest in coaching at the college level

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ery-little-interest-coaching-at-college-level

3cb68e606849c196aa7f6f075e9f3beaec51ff2a62eae36677196313e0afe90a.jpg

most are talking about john not jim harbaugh

it is clear Jim is not interested

note per this reference -http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Insider-John-Harbaugh-would-accept-Michigan-job-if-offered-10-2-4680

did brandon really call John before calling brady? i don't think anyone but the direct parties involved know

I'm not in favor of just firing Hoke and looking for a new coach, but if John Harbaugh said he wanted the job and it was a sure thing, I'd be in favor of making the switch.

Back