Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official New ][V][ichigan Head Coach Search Thread

I don't think it was bright of Michigan to offer with this much time left. Usually coaches don't leave until season is over and this essentially gives all other teams time to match.

Last edited:
I don't think it was bright of Michigan to offer with this much time left. Usually coaches don't leave until season is over and this essentially gives all other teams time to match.

The other teams were going to have time no matter what. This is a huge decision for Harbaugh and not one he is simply going to make because Michigan offered big money.

He is an extremely competitive person, and probably wants a Super Bowl ring, and he will need time to think about if he wants to leave the NFL and return to college.

Hopefully the prospect of national championships with his alma mater is good enough to replace the Super Bowl desire.

Last edited:
The offer is calculated ..not a shocking number but a statement. Doesn't impact negotiating ability to put your first offer in

In the college world...there isnt much time. Youll want a coach in 1-2 weeks so they can put a staff together and get a recruiting plan together.

I am trying not to let my hopes for Jim H get to high. Hate for this to be another time that all the attention is on Michigan and it turns into a disappointment. If they did offer JH big money, and he doesn't accept, then how would that affect negotiations with the 2nd choice? Do you say, "Well, we aren't going to pay you as much as we offered our boy Jimmy, but you are a good coach and we want you to come here but we are only going to offer you a fraction of what we offered him." What self respecting top tier coach would accept that? So, we are left with coaches who would walk to Michigan if the job was offered and we already had one of those.

I am trying not to let my hopes for Jim H get to high. Hate for this to be another time that all the attention is on Michigan and it turns into a disappointment. If they did offer JH big money, and he doesn't accept, then how would that affect negotiations with the 2nd choice? Do you say, "Well, we aren't going to pay you as much as we offered our boy Jimmy, but you are a good coach and we want you to come here but we are only going to offer you a fraction of what we offered him." What self respecting top tier coach would accept that? So, we are left with coaches who would walk to Michigan if the job was offered and we already had one of those.

That kind of thing happens all the time in business, especially this type of business. Does it mean that the next guy might get a little more than he otherwise would've? Maybe. It doesn't set the market and guarantee that contract to anyone else. It's a business, they all understand that. And for the record, neither Harbaugh nor Michigan hasn't confirmed this contract (although I believe we're past the point where they may still have some deniability).

By Jeff Moss
DetroitSportsRag@GMail.com
December 19, 2014

Anyway, last night Jim Harbaugh called one of his former teammates. The conversation did not start well as my source states the San Fran head coach said, “Would you hate me if I didn’t come?”

1) Ted Spencer was U of M’s Athletic/Admissions dude for many years. Spencer left this year and has not been replaced. Harbaugh wants to replace Spencer with someone philosophically in line with Ted.

Harbaugh has concerns that Michigan President Mark Schlissel wants U of M to become more like Brown University. Schlissel’s response is that’s not how he wants to operate.

2) I can confirm that Harbaugh’s agent is the one who leaked the contract details to the national NFL media. Which is weird since the U of M athletic department kind of leaked the same information two weeks ago. Very strange.

3) Further complicating matters is it now appears the Atlanta Falcons are extremely interested in Jim’s services and might be ready to part ways with Mike Smith. And they have Home Depot money.

4) The only piece of good news my source can provide is Jack Harbaugh is still extremely desirous of his son’s return to his alma mater.

Marcelious Wiley is claiming he has 2 sorces including one who works for the search firm claiming that the deal is done and even signed. I dont know who to believe. I do think he is torn as to what to do. Many people are worried that by him being torn he doesnt want to be here but I dont view it like that. He has 2 dreams available to him right now. One is taking another NFL job and going after a Super Bowl and the other is coaching at Michigan turning it around and being a god here. I dont doubt that he loves U of M and this job has a family pull to it that no other job to him will have. He played here his dad coached here and Jack's influence is still a big key I think.

By Jeff Moss
DetroitSportsRag@GMail.com
December 19, 2014

1) Ted Spencer was U of M?s Athletic/Admissions dude for many years. Spencer left this year and has not been replaced. Harbaugh wants to replace Spencer with someone philosophically in line with Ted.

Harbaugh has concerns that Michigan President Mark Schlissel wants U of M to become more like Brown University. Schlissel?s response is that?s not how he wants to operate.

I brought this point up a couple months ago. We need a guy like Jim not only so we can compete nationally for recruits again.....but so we can win the power struggle between Michigan being an academic school or a school with world class football facilities.

I think alumni and regents are letting Schlissel know.

Ted was great guy.

Marcelious Wiley is claiming he has 2 sorces including one who works for the search firm claiming that the deal is done and even signed. I dont know who to believe. I do think he is torn as to what to do. Many people are worried that by him being torn he doesnt want to be here but I dont view it like that. He has 2 dreams available to him right now. One is taking another NFL job and going after a Super Bowl and the other is coaching at Michigan turning it around and being a god here. I dont doubt that he loves U of M and this job has a family pull to it that no other job to him will have. He played here his dad coached here and Jack's influence is still a big key I think.

I think he was mainly torn about staying in the NFL because hes ultra competitive and will view going to the super bowl and losing as a failure. Problem is the coaching jobs that would want him are no where close to getting him back there. Chicago, atl, jets? add another 3-5 years of misery to his life.

I think he was mainly torn about staying in the NFL because hes ultra competitive and will view going to the super bowl and losing as a failure. Problem is the coaching jobs that would want him are no where close to getting him back there. Chicago, atl, jets? add another 3-5 years of misery to his life.

Don't know if I'd put Atlanta in that same group. If I'm Harbaugh, the Jets get crossed off my list first, and then the Raiders 2nd (doesn't matter if your wife likes the Bay Area!). But the Bears aren't as bad off as the Jets/Raiders, and Atlanta has a darn good group of skill position players on offense. I could see how a coach would view that a good opportunity to win sooner rather than later.

I'm worried about Atlanta and then when he turns his head for that, Stephen Ross comes in and says, "that's not happening, you're coming here if Michigan is not you're destination."

I'm worried about Atlanta and then when he turns his head for that, Stephen Ross comes in and says, "that's not happening, you're coming here if Michigan is not you're destination."

Honestly, I could see Ross messing around in the Harbaugh market with the purpose of ensuring that he goes to Michigan and not to the NFL including his own team.

It wouldnt shock me one bit of Ross is the one paying the Harbaugh contract. Especially if its a way to keep him away from the Jets.

Back