Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Would you guys be for/against trading out of the 1st round?

Ok...that must mean he went:

227/407 55.8% 21 Tds and 18 picks in games he had a great running game and great oline play in 2013....hmmm

6-4 record. And alot of those picks weren't his fault when you watch the game tape.

Also it means the run game (injuries to Waddle/Bush) is the main reason we went 1-5 and missed the playoffs. 5 sacks each game at GB and at Min too. More not Stafford's fault.

Stafford played well enough to win the division in 2013 and 2014. Fact.

Logic? Lucky? Excuse me??And yes, we were somewhat lucky to have Reggie on the team last year. He's a dynamic RB at times who has the ability to take it to the house at any times. He was coming off like 1,500 all purpose yards the year before.

Next question?

Great so we can't use the poor running game as an excuse for this team, since we have the best option at RB in 2014.

Sure I'll answer your weird, roundabout question that dodged what my initial point was.

I don't expect them to bring anyone else in. But there are a large handful of QBs in the NFL that I would rather have than Stafford. And the regime continues to cushion him. "He had an OUTSTANDING 2014." Martin Mayhew.

If that's outstanding, I can't imagine what a normal season would look like in his eyes.

In my opinion, it's time to look at drafting a QB in the 3rd round or so to challenge this guy. He's been sitting on the perch for too long without any worry of competition.

Sure I'll answer your weird, roundabout question that dodged what my initial point was.

I don't expect them to bring anyone else in. But there are a large handful of QBs in the NFL that I would rather have than Stafford. And the regime continues to cushion him. "He had an OUTSTANDING 2014." Martin Mayhew.

If that's outstanding, I can't imagine what a normal season would look like in his eyes.

In my opinion, it's time to look at drafting a QB in the 3rd round or so to challenge this guy. He's been sitting on the perch for too long without any worry of competition.

You didn't watch the game tape. That's what your post says. He was outstanding.

I watched every Detroit Lions football game from start to finish. My eyes, along with millions of others who aren't drinking the blue aid saw a QB who was pretty solid, occasionally flashed great, made horrible decisions that were par for his course.

Not a top 10 QB.

Last edited:
Stafford has it easy with Calvin. Throw it high, completion most of the time. He makes Stafford better. Stafford can not be replaced in all reality because of the cap hit and dead money. He is not the problem anyway, he is good enough to get it done. He played pretty darn good last year and won a few + games on his own last year. The play calling was way to conservative and that was mainly due to Ebron not grasping offense, the line being porous all year, and the defense playing well. Ebron killed us last year and OC did not have the depth to adjust. Additionally, he had to simplify the scheme for Stafford being first year running it.

Who do you suggest they bring in then, buddy?? Tell me who the fk is available OR was available. Because we're lucky to be one of the few teams in the NFL that has a QB.

you could easily get Bryce petty in rd 2 this year and I bet he could put up top 23 qb numbers in this offense and would make about 78 mil dollars less money.

Harsh...but very true.

Not the point. You said Stafford could put up great stats with great oline play and good running game. He had that in 2013, still was only average at best. Bush was better than Lynch.

Apparently he needs top defense, great oline play, Good running game and good "weapons". You know what QB you described...Every QB in the NFL can be success with that.

Of course you point to PFF for 2013, to justify his play. But then discredit 2014 PFF that ranks him as one of the worst.

There is only one year for Stafford that is an abnormality. Why should we think that is the one year that is the true stafford and all the other ones are not?

If there was a kudos button I'd be clicking on it. You nailed it on all points..

you could easily get Bryce petty in rd 2 this year and I bet he could put up top 23 qb numbers in this offense and would make about 78 mil dollars less money.

Harsh...but very true.

Heck with what they want this offense to be, Kellen Moore maybe a decent option. He has accuracy on throws and has touch. Obviously doesn't have arm strength as Stafford and is shorter. But he could at least be threat to Stafford in a competition. Touch can be more important than arm strength...see pass to Pettigrew against Dallas as proof.

Heck with what they want this offense to be, Kellen Moore maybe a decent option. He has accuracy on throws and has touch. Obviously doesn't have arm strength as Stafford and is shorter. But he could at least be threat to Stafford in a competition. Touch can be more important than arm strength...see pass to Pettigrew against Dallas as proof.

Tim tebow could be a top 23 qb in this league.

Tebow, Petty, Kellen Moore. Man you guys don't know football at all.

Stafford CARRIES us despite massive injuries to the offense. 11-5.

He's a true top 5 QB.

Romo, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Manning, Brady, Brees, Luck, Wilson, Rivers, Flacco.

He's somewhere in the pile after those guys. If you think he belong with Manning, Brady, Brees, Luck, and Rodgers, I don't know how to help you.

Last edited:
Rodgers, tied 2nd Brady/Manning, Luck, tied 5th Stafford/Brees/Romo, tied 7th Big Ben/Rivers/Wilson.

Last edited:
They had the same start to their careers. Stafford had an outstanding year. Mayhew watched the tape.

So through the first 6 years final QB ranking positon:

Brees:
DNQ
24th
29th
3rd
10th
3rd

Stafford:
29th
DNQ
5th
22nd
19th
21st

We are comparing a #1 overall (Stafford) to a second round draft pick (Brees).

Brees obviously started out a little rough. But years 4-6 he was ranked either top 5 or top 10.

Stafford, also started rough, but had a standout year in his 3rd year, and regressed and settled into around a 20th ranked QB in years 4-6.

Hard to say they started their careers the same.
What would you rather have a guy that was ranked top 10 50% of his first 6 years (33% top 3) or one that was ranked in the top half of the league only 1 out of 6 years?

Tebow, Petty, Kellen Moore. Man you guys don't know football at all.

Stafford CARRIES us despite massive injuries to the offense. 11-5.

He's a true top 5 QB.

That similar to a "true win".

As in.. "He's not really a top 5 QB, but he's a "true" top 5 QB, because I say so, and fact, logic, and numbers won't change my mind"?

Great so we can't use the poor running game as an excuse for this team, since we have the best option at RB in 2014.

What? Unfortunately Reggie got hurt and everybody on the planet knows Bell is a backup. And don't even get me started on Riddick...lol. Running game was brutal, so stop...

Way to avoid the fkn question.....AGAIN. You can't answer it, I know. Wishing that Andrew Luck was under center is NOT an answer.

And you want to draft a QB in the 3rd when we just lost 2 mid rd picks? That's brilliant, man....brings a fkn tear to my eye really. You're on crack if you think that's going to happen. Too many holes to fill to be trying to draft some scrub QB in the 3rd rd when he'll never ever ever play a down in Detroit. It would be a complete waste of a pick when you can draft an OL or DL that will produce immediately

Last edited:

Harsh...but very true.

lol. Bryce Petty? A guy with accuracy issues in college. That's your solution?

Back