Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off Season

So the Pistons drafted a kid #5 who dominated kids younger then him. Is that true ?

He didn?t play in the G league, college , or overseas. Well hopefully Weaver hit a good one but all I hear is he needs to work on his jump shot. He is a 30% three point shooter .67% shooting free throws. So my guess is he was just drafted for defense.

Last edited:
So the Pistons drafted a kid #5 who dominated kids younger then him. Is that true ?

He didn?t play in the G league, college , or overseas. Well hopefully Weaver hit a good one but all I hear is he needs to work on his jump shot. He is a 30% three point shooter .67% shooting free throws. So my guess is he was just drafted for defense.
You'd be unhappy if we drafted Jordon 2.0. He's worth a 5.. And don't underestimate defense. You guys complain enough about it. You draft and hope he develops.

He actually shot 35.5% from the NBA 3 point line his league has if you include their playoff games. And was shooting 36.7% from 3 in their regular season before going 0-5 in their last game. His shot does need some work though, but I just wouldn't read too much into his 29.8% 3 point shooting in the regular season. The Overtime Elite is for 16-20 year olds, has 6 teams, and Ausar was the league MVP, he and his brother chose that league because they thought it was better than college in preparing them for the NBA.

I think it's a swing for the fences type of pick, but at worst you're getting a Jonathon Kuminga type athlete who's a better defender.

He actually shot 35.5% from the NBA 3 point line his league has if you include their playoff games. And was shooting 36.7% from 3 in their regular season before going 0-5 in their last game. His shot does need some work though, but I just wouldn't read too much into his 29.8% 3 point shooting in the regular season. The Overtime Elite is for 16-20 year olds, has 6 teams, and Ausar was the league MVP, he and his brother chose that league because they thought it was better than college in preparing them for the NBA.

I think it's a swing for the fences type of pick, but at worst you're getting a Jonathon Kuminga type athlete who's a better defender.

Thanks for the info. I sure hope he is the real deal.

You'd be unhappy if we drafted Jordon 2.0. He's worth a 5.. And don't underestimate defense. You guys complain enough about it. You draft and hope he develops.

I?m just asking questions. This pick just seems underwhelming to me, and I love defense but sadly that is not the nba anymore. You need elite shooting. Seems like Detroit drafts guys and they end up developing elsewhere and not in Detroit. That was the past anyway (Middleton, Dinwiddie are prime examples.

To early to tell on this group yet but I like the Cade, iivey and Duren. we finally get the #1 draft pick in a year with Cade Cunningham as the top choice. He is a fine player when he is healthy but is he a superstar ? Not sure. I hope so. Love the Ivey pick. Kid is so fast. I really like Duren.Hopefully this core can get a whole year together without guys getting hurt, and Cade turns into a superstar.

Weird.

He seems to have been more dominant over those younger kids than his twin brother, but the brother was drafted one pick higher.

I?m just asking questions. This pick just seems underwhelming to me, and I love defense but sadly that is not the nba anymore. You need elite shooting. Seems like Detroit drafts guys and they end up developing elsewhere and not in Detroit. That was the past anyway (Middleton, Dinwiddie are prime examples.

To early to tell on this group yet but I like the Cade, iivey and Duren. we finally get the #1 draft pick in a year with Cade Cunningham as the top choice. He is a fine player when he is healthy but is he a superstar ? Not sure. I hope so. Love the Ivey pick. Kid is so fast. I really like Duren.Hopefully this core can get a whole year together without guys getting hurt, and Cade turns into a superstar.
Elite shooting just means you lose higher scoring games. The best teams have good a defensive player somewhere. We have none.

I guess Kobe Bufkin touching his mother?s leg while she was being interviewed caused quite a stir.

Thanks for the info. I sure hope he is the real deal.

I wanted Whitmore, but obviously he was off their board at 5 and fell for reasons. After Whitmore wasn't an option, I liked Walker for his grit and versatility, but I was also having trouble finding a good comparison in the NBA today for Walker. People were saying Draymond Green without the passing, well, Green without the passing is a bench player, I don't think you want to take a bench player at 5.

So the Pistons took the best athlete in the draft. 6-7, 218 lbs with a 7 foot wingspan. I think the upside is there, maybe even higher than his brother who went 1 pick before him.

Free Agency could bring more shooting, but you do still have Bojan and Burks on the team who both shot over 41% from 3 last season. And you've got a chance to add a guy like Cam Johnson who shoots over 40% from 3. Ivey was a pleasant surprise shooting 34.3% from 3 and I think that will easily go up as he'll be getting more open looks this season.

The Pistons future is still all about Cade Cunningham, he's the key and people seem to have forgottne he was a budding star before getting hurt last season. But more than just continuing to progress, for him, it's about shooting. Cade must be a 36% shooter from 3 to be a star, if he continues as a 31% shooter from deep, his ceiling is much lower. He shot well in college, and now that he's had a year off where he could shoot a lot, I think we'll find out pretty quick this Fall if he's going to be a star, or just another good player.

The more I read and hear about this kids defense and athleticism I'm liking the pick. I feel like you can teach shooting easier than teaching a guy to play lock down d. Maybe we get super lucky and he develops a shot and becomes a Kawhi type player. If he doesn't he could still become a Marcus Smart type player.

The more I read and hear about this kids defense and athleticism I'm liking the pick. I feel like you can teach shooting easier than teaching a guy to play lock down d. Maybe we get super lucky and he develops a shot and becomes a Kawhi type player. If he doesn't he could still become a Marcus Smart type player.
Or a combination Kawhi\Smart..

And R.J. Hampton's career has made another turn as he was just released. He went from a potential top 5 draft pick to falling to 24 to now hoping to catch on with his 4 team since 2020-21. Good luck. You did have that 27 point game..

Edit: Waived not released.

Last edited:
I actually like the Sasser pick. 4 year player that is a really good defender. He's a guy that I think will embrace his role and should be ready to come off the bench in year one due to him being a 4 year college player. Thompson is hit or miss to me. I really don't like that he spent the past 2 years playing in the overtime elite league.

In a year with very few quality free agents, I think the Pistons should pursue Cam Johnson. He is a 6'8" wing that can shoot the 3. He's exactly what the Pistons could use.

PG Cunningham/Hayes
SG Ivey/Burks
SF Johnson/Thompson
PF Bogdanovic/Bagley
C Wiseman/Duren

That really doesn't look too bad. I would say they could contend for a play in spot.

In a year with very few quality free agents, I think the Pistons should pursue Cam Johnson. He is a 6'8" wing that can shoot the 3. He's exactly what the Pistons could use.

PG Cunningham/Hayes
SG Ivey/Burks
SF Johnson/Thompson
PF Bogdanovic/Bagley
C Wiseman/Duren

That really doesn't look too bad. I would say they could contend for a play in spot.

Id love Johnson. Likely have to over pay for him tho. He's a restricted free agent. Probably be 4 years 100 mil at least.

If they got him and signed Jerami Grant back they could take a HUGE jump. They have to trade away Bogdanovich to do both tho. Which I'd be fine with

Last edited:
Id love Johnson. Likely have to over pay for him tho. He's a restricted free agent. Probably be 4 years 100 mil at least.

If they got him and signed Jerami Grant back they could take a HUGE jump. They have to trade away Bogdanovich to do both tho. Which I'd be fine with

4 at $100M would be about right in today's market. It might be enough to deter the Nets from matching. Bojan makes $20M. My guess is Grant would take $30M per year.

Not sure I like the deal Weaver did today. I sure hope something else in the works.
This deal helps the Nets resign Johnson.

The Brooklyn Nets reportedly agreed to trade guard Joe Harris to the Detroit Pistons on Friday.

According to Shams Charania of The Athletic and Stadium, the Nets are also sending the Dallas Mavericks' 2027 second-round pick and the Milwaukee Bucks' 2029 second-round pick to Detroit as part of the deal. It isn't yet known what Brooklyn is receiving in return.

Per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, the deal creates a $19.9 million traded player exception for the Nets and will give them more financial flexibility this offseason.

Brooklyn signed Harris to a four-year, $75 million contract extension in 2020, and he is set to enter the final year of his deal in 2023-24 at a salary of $19.9 million.

He's a shooter and a good one and on an expiring contract. It's perfect. We weren't getting Cam anyways. NJ not getting anything outside the cap space.

Last edited:
Sources: Wizards trading vet PG Monte Morris to Pistons
ESPN
Jun 30, 2023
The Washington Wizards are trading point guard Monte Morris to the Detroit Pistons for a second-round pick, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski on Friday night.

The Wizards will create a $9.8 million traded player exception with the deal. Morris will go into the Pistons' remaining cap room; they still have access to the $7.8 million room midlevel exception for teams operating under the salary cap, according to ESPN's Bobby Marks.

NBA trade tracker: Grades, details for all deals for 2023-24
24m
Morris, 28, was acquired by the Wizards in an offseason trade last summer that sent Kentavious Caldwell-Pope to the Denver Nuggets. Morris averaged 10.3 points and 5.3 assists while shooting 48% from the field and 38.2% from 3 for Washington last season.

However, the Wizards' backcourt had gotten crowded after trades to acquire Tyus Jones and Jordan Poo

Last edited:
Cam got 108 in 4 year deal from Nets. Maybe rest some faces Detroit would never offered that much..

Back