Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cleveland Baseball Team to Change

You want to drop a punchline without a setup?

Dude, it happens every day in TV show writers rooms.

It?s like ?OK, here?s the punchline can somebody help me with the set up??

I guess I thought we on this board were a little closer to that level then maybe we really are.

My bad.

It’s like “OK, here’s the punchline can somebody help me with the set up?”

I guess I thought we on this board were a little closer to that level then maybe we really are.

My bad.
I saw an opportunity to drop another punchline and I took it.

Last edited:
I’m not awake enough to think about the term that would make the Washington football team the WANKERS.

Anyone else want to take a shot?

too difficult. the best I could muster today was tying two other posters' ideas together - you know the whole "Cleveland Beavers, affectionately known as the..."

Last edited:

It’s like “OK, here’s the punchline can somebody help me with the set up?”

My bad.

Subtext ain't this board's long suit. Years ago, I was part of a board with SF Giants fans and that's all we wrote for the most part. You'd a fit right in, even as a Dodgers' fan.

Here's a sample link to a thread during the Giants-Phillies NLDS in 2010. LINK

Another random Link ... I used to curse back then.

Here's one where I got into "it" with the board's troll. LINK. Was this really me?

Last edited:
Maybe that line I posted wasn't recognized as a well-loved punchline presented without the setup? In the show, the setup was never given.

It's from the pilot of Star Trek TNG. You get the punchline without the joke and the emotionless android doesn't get it. Then like ten years later, there's a Star Trek movie and the android gets an emotion chip and starts laughing about the joke.

Last edited:
Maybe that line I posted wasn't recognized as a well-loved punchline presented without the setup? In the show, the setup was never given.

It's from the pilot of Star Trek TNG. You get the punchline without the joke and the emotionless android doesn't get it. Then like ten years later, there's a Star Trek movie and the android gets an emotion chip and starts laughing about the joke.

I was more a TOS guy. Like when Kirk became an Indian.

I was more a TOS guy. Like when Kirk became an Indian.
It's interesting stuff to watch today. It's their vision of future technology, but also their vision of what future PC culture would be. Stuff like "She's a good officer, too bad some man will come along and marry her someday."

Last edited:
It's interesting stuff to watch today. It's their vision of future technology, but also their vision of what future PC culture would be. Stuff like "She's a good officer, too bad some man will come along and marry her someday."

And anyone in the red velour shirt was marked for destruction. Scotty excepted.

And anyone in the red velour shirt was marked for destruction. Scotty excepted.

I'm not a Star Trek guy, but didn't Uhura wear the red uniform? She never got killed, did she? Although, that was a red dress, not a shirt.

Correct. Good catch.

thanks, but it was more of a guess than a catch. I was too young to appreciate camp or even know camp was a thing so I thought the show was dumb. But I wasn't so young that I wouldn't watch once in a while anyway because of Uhura or the occasional "interesting" aliens.

Last edited:
Women don’t die in Star Trek TOS unless they changed history and are from the past.

Meet the Cleveland Guardians

?This is a historic moment for our franchise, and we are excited for our players and staff to debut our new team name and look in 2022," president of baseball operations Chris Antonetti said in a statement. "We look forward to our team proudly representing the city of Cleveland as the Guardians."

These boilerplate press-release statements ring so very hollow.

Last edited:
Only dropped 2 letters. Some marketing whiz must have thought that was brilliant. Don't want to lose any more of the brand than you have to.

what does Cleveland have to do with guarding?

Only dropped 2 letters. Some marketing whiz must have thought that was brilliant. Don't want to lose any more of the brand than you have to.

what does Cleveland have to do with guarding?

"We are excited to usher in the next era of the deep history of baseball in Cleveland," Dolan said in a statement. "Cleveland has and always will be the most important part of our identity. Therefore, we wanted a name that strongly represents the pride, resiliency and loyalty of Clevelanders.

"'Guardians' reflects those attributes that define us while drawing on the iconic Guardians of Traffic just outside the ballpark on the Hope Memorial Bridge. It brings to life the pride Clevelanders take in our city and the way we fight together for all who choose to be part of the Cleveland baseball family. While 'Indians' will always be a part of our history, our new name will help unify our fans and city as we are all Cleveland Guardians."

"We are excited to usher in the next era of the deep history of baseball in Cleveland," Dolan said in a statement. "Cleveland has and always will be the most important part of our identity. Therefore, we wanted a name that strongly represents the pride, resiliency and loyalty of Clevelanders.

"'Guardians' reflects those attributes that define us while drawing on the iconic Guardians of Traffic just outside the ballpark on the Hope Memorial Bridge. It brings to life the pride Clevelanders take in our city and the way we fight together for all who choose to be part of the Cleveland baseball family. While 'Indians' will always be a part of our history, our new name will help unify our fans and city as we are all Cleveland Guardians."

not-so-subtle authority worship.

first tie in will be "police appreciation day," for their "real life Guardians"

Back