Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cleveland Baseball Team to Change

When poorly executed, sure.

it always brings to mind that scene in Metropolis with men being fed into the giant machine to keep it functioning (i never saw the movie though, despite Netflix aggressively recommending it to me for years)

it always brings to mind that scene in Metropolis with men being fed into the giant machine to keep it functioning (i never saw the movie though, despite Netflix aggressively recommending it to me for years)

Netflix wants you to accept your fate of this world.

Cleveland...Guardians???

Seriously? Naming the team after their Guardians of Traffic??? Weak.

If wanting to name them after something the city is (in)famous for, should have called them the Cleveland Fire!

Guardians makes me think of prison guards. I would mention Guardians of the Galaxy, but Cleveland is no where close to being populated with people that cool.

Interesting it would be in there instead of in, ya know, the MLB General Board. My apologies for my illogical choice to look for it and post in here. LOL

Interesting it would be in there instead of in, ya know, the MLB General Board. My apologies for my illogical choice to look for it and post in here. LOL

That is funny.

I started the thread last December specifically in the politics forum when the Cleveland baseball team announced it was going to change its name from the Indians. The politics forum is a subcategory of Diggler?s Junk.

As the sort of self appointed mod to move sports threads to politics threads when they become political - to promote the general welfare and for EVERYBODY?S protection - I just decided ?why wait??

hZYrCWT.png

Since the bridge was built in the 1920s and the river caught fire in the 60s, I really think they should use the red and black colors in their team colors to be flames. There is a poetic resonance waiting to be tapped into here.

Seriously? Naming the team after their Guardians of Traffic??? Weak.

If wanting to name them after something the city is (in)famous for, should have called them the Cleveland Fire!

Guardians makes me think of prison guards. I would mention Guardians of the Galaxy, but Cleveland is no where close to being populated with people that cool.

How about the Cleveland 10 Cent Beer Nights?

How about the Cleveland 10 Cent Beer Nights?

They charge a dime now? Inflation finally caught up to them I guess. (Edit - should have read the link in your post first...freaking idiots...only people from Ohio would think that was a smart idea)

Why and how the Rock n Roll HoF decided Cleveland should be their location is beyond me, unless the desire was to minimize the number of visitors.

Last edited:
This is overall one of the better threads in recent memory. I saw a guy in an Indians? shirt Saturday at a golf shop and briefed him on the name change. I am not reticent to comment on people?s shirts, especially when sports-oriented. He was really non-plussed about the name ?Guardians? until I offered the rationale in some detail, using the information from this thread. I?m not sure how serious an Indians? fan he was, because he had never heard of Mike Hargrove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tGm_JajqLo

Last edited:
They charge a dime now? Inflation finally caught up to them I guess. (Edit - should have read the link in your post first...freaking idiots...only people from Ohio would think that was a smart idea)

Why and how the Rock n Roll HoF decided Cleveland should be their location is beyond me, unless the desire was to minimize the number of visitors.

People from Illinois aren't that much smarter...

That was an epic event that I witnessed on TV, and the dissatisfaction of Kell and Kaline. I bet that George Kell said ?cooler heads prevail? more than once, but I can?t recall.

From Mike Veeck: ?The great thing was all the kids were stoned,? he said. When asked to explain, Veeck said marijuana?s effects were milder than those of beer. ?Had we had drunks to deal with, then we would have had some trouble,? he said. ?The kids were really docile.?

Link

Even Dave Dombrowski was an integral part of the event.

?Above the field, Hemond?s private box sheltered the wife and children of Don Kessinger, the White Sox? manager, but fans tried to climb inside.

Dave Dombrowski, now the president of the Tigers, was a 22-year-old assistant to Hemond (WS?s GM). ?My duty was to keep people from crawling in there,? Dombrowski said. Harry Caray, then a raucous White Sox announcer, urged calm over the public-address system.

This is overall one of the better threads in recent memory. I saw a guy in an Indians? shirt Saturday at a golf shop and briefed him on the name change. I am not reticent to comment on people?s shirts, especially when sports-oriented. He was really non-plussed about the name ?Guardians? until I offered the rationale in some detail, using the information from this thread. I?m not sure how serious an Indians? fan he was, because he had never heard of Mike Hargrove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tGm_JajqLo

Maybe he just likes jerseys with racially insensitive names on them?

Maybe he just likes jerseys with racially insensitive names on them?

Sure. Same as Oscar Gamble, Larry Doby, Luis Tiant, Frank Robinson, Chris Chambliss, Omar Visquel, Michael Brantley, Kenny Loftin, Alex Johnson, Jose Ramirez, George Hendricks, Charlie Spikes, Rico Carty ? and many more that I could name, but don?t have the time or inclination.

Last edited:
Back