Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Draft Strategy

I think Sewell and Pitts are gone at 5 and 6.

I personally think Cincy is going to grab Pitts and Miami Sewell. Regardless I think it is crazy that Miami traded Tunsil for a boatload of picks. Then they trade that 3rd overall pick for essentially an extra 1st to move down 3 spots. So they avoided paying him insane money, got three first round picks, a high second, a 4th and now might have the chance to draft one of the best OT prospects in recent memory to replace him. So now they might have the chance to get a much younger guy or a rookie contract plus 2 firsts a second and fourth on top. Wow.

The Laremy Tunsil trade for Miami has now netted them: the 26th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the 12th, 36th and 102nd picks in the 2021 NFL Draft plus a 2022 first-round pick and 2023 first-round pick.

Last edited:
I personally think Cincy is going to grab Pitts and Miami Sewell. Regardless I think it is crazy that Miami traded Tunsil for a boatload of picks. Then they trade that 3rd overall pick for essentially an extra 1st to move down 3 spots. So they avoided paying him insane money, got three first round picks, a high second, a 4th and now might have the chance to draft one of the best OT prospects in recent memory to replace him. So now they might have the chance to get a much younger guy or a rookie contract plus 2 firsts a second and fourth on top. Wow.

The Laremy Tunsil trade for Miami has now netted them: the 26th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the 12th, 36th and 102nd picks in the 2021 NFL Draft plus a 2022 first-round pick and 2023 first-round pick.

Let's hope Sewell wears a gas mask then drops to us then

Here's the research we all were assuming was correct on fields but McShay has now confirmed. 200 passes to primary receivers. 7 to secondary receivers. Crazy.

that is pretty interesting.

That said, he has 396 completions and 577 attempts over his 2 year career. Something isn't right with the math.

Bateman has slipped a bit... but his pro day looked solid and I don't think anyone expected a 4.39 from him. His change of direction drills were crazy for someone as big as him. I'd love a parsons rd1 and Bateman rd2.
https://youtu.be/-XpzLI1gsK4

Last edited:
What if they went Sewell R1 Bateman R2???

2 needs covered with 2 great prospects. Our defense will still be awful lol. I think Bateman solidified himself as a late rd 1 pick with his pro day... he won't get past Baltimore.

What if they went Sewell R1 Bateman R2???

No way can our defense afford to be ignored in the first two rounds, I have no problem with either player but we had a historically bad defense. It must be addressed in 2 of the first 3 rounds imo.

I’d take Fields over Jones easily if I was a NFL GM. The “not talked about” Mac Jones DUI should raise red flags.

If Sewell falls to 7, I’d take him over any WR in this draft.

My top 3 choices at 7.

Fields
Sewell
Parson

Lions should just have a blind folded monkey throw a dart at the list of players in the draft each round.

Couldn’t do worse than ever.

so, at this point, wouldn't it be interesting if the Lions would have taken Teddy and #8 for Matt.

QB,WR
Sewell & Chase/waddle
Sewell & Parsons
Sewell / QB

so, at this point, wouldn't it be interesting if the Lions would have taken Teddy and #8 for Matt.

QB,WR
Sewell & Chase/waddle
Sewell & Parsons
Sewell / QB

Would help for sure. Chase/Waddle and Parsons would be my choice there.

But rather have pick 7 and two additional 1sts and a 3rd. 3 additional picks (even later 1sts) always greater than 1 (pick 8). Hence why everyone always talks about a trade down and wants a trade down. Holmes literally got so much draft capital like you would get in a trade down and people seemed to dismiss it (mainly due to impatience because its 2022 and 2023)

Plus I like Goff better than Teddy

Would help for sure. Chase/Waddle and Parsons would be my choice there.

But rather have pick 7 and two additional 1sts and a 3rd. 3 additional picks (even later 1sts) always greater than 1 (pick 8). Hence why everyone always talks about a trade down and wants a trade down. Holmes literally got so much draft capital like you would get in a trade down and people seemed to dismiss it (mainly due to impatience because its 2022 and 2023)

Plus I like Goff better than Teddy

Gonna have to go with LKP on this one. I?d rather have two future firsts for this rebuild than #8 this year. It just gives us so many options in the next two drafts to move around and put ourselves in positions to get really good players.

And I do like Goff slightly more than I like Teddy KGBridgewater.

Put me in the impatient bucket....41 years of Lions misery will do that to a person. But you guys are forgetting the cap relief we would have if there was no Goff (or Teddy) on the roster.

Lets assume we could swing a trade for Stafford to Carolina for #8 and a 1st next year. No Teddy. Youd be staring at hoping the 5th best qb in the draft falls to you at 7 so at this point we'd probably be scrambling to try to trade up to 4 before NE, DEN or Wash do.

#7 Lets say we get lucky and Trey Lance Falls to us.
#8 Parsons or Chase
$20+ mil in cap relief this year to fill RG, RT, DT, LBx2, CB, S holes
Rd 1 Car Pick next year
Something ridiculous like $70- $80 mil in cap space next year.

New face of the offense, New face of the defense, financial flexibility to rebuild your team the way you want to, draft capitol moving forward to build around your new QB.

I would have been excited to watch that even though their record wouldnt be any good. Instead ill be watching Goff and their record wont be any good and we wont have any money or draft capitol to fix it until next year. Theres upside to future years but alot of it is dependent on Goff panning out and Holems' need the extra #1 picks to stick.

Last edited:
Put me in the impatient bucket....41 years of Lions misery will do that to a person. But you guys are forgetting the cap relief we would have if there was no Goff (or Teddy) on the roster.

Lets assume we could swing a trade for Stafford to Carolina for #8 and a 1st next year. No Teddy. Youd be staring at hoping the 5th best qb in the draft falls to you at 7 so at this point we'd probably be scrambling to try to trade up to 4 before NE, DEN or Wash do.

#7 Lets say we get lucky and Trey Lance Falls to us.
#8 Parsons or Chase
$20+ mil in cap relief this year to fill RG, RT, DT, LBx2, CB, S holes
Rd 1 Car Pick next year
Something ridiculous like $70- $80 mil in cap space next year.

New face of the offense, New face of the defense, financial flexibility to rebuild your team the way you want to, draft capitol moving forward to build around your new QB.

I would have been excited to watch that even though their record wouldnt be any good. Instead ill be watching Goff and their record wont be any good and we wont have any money or draft capitol to fix it until next year. Theres upside to future years but alot of it is dependent on Goff panning out and Holems' need the extra #1 picks to stick.

So in your scenario, what happens if a qb doesn?t ?fall? to 7? Who are your QB?s for 2021 and beyond?

So in your scenario, what happens if a qb doesn?t ?fall? to 7? Who are your QB?s for 2021 and beyond?

David mills in rd2 for all I care. People are projecting a 2 win lions team with goff... what the hell is the difference?

Back