Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Florida's "stand your ground" law

One of these days I'll catch a Tarpon... They're tricky devils. I've got no problem filleting little yellow snappers and throwing them on a treble hook and catching a shark or two... Damn I need to go soon.

I guarantee this is what happened...

Zimmerman mentioned that there had been a series of break-ins in the neighborhood, he saw Trayvon and got suspicious of a black kid walking in the rain at night. After he called 911 he started to follow him to find out what he was up to. Meanwhile, Trayvon is on the phone with his girl and starts getting scared (as kids do) that a full grown man is coming after him. After Zimmerman finally tracks him down, Trayvon is so scared that he pushes and maybe even throws a punch at zimmerman. They wrestle for a few seconds, long enough for the kid to yell for help, but doesn't stop fighting back. Zimmerman, being the pussy that he looks like, decides that Trayvon is hostile and wants to hurt him so he pulls his gun and shoots him. Then he realizes that Trayvon was just a kid and had no weapon so he claims that he was the one screaming for help. :nuts:

agreed. This is no man. This is a loser. Big tough man and his gun. How big was this 17 yo kid? He looked a buck twenty five and about 4 years younger than his age.

Last edited:
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...estic-violence-fighting-with-a-police-officer

Hmm, seems this guy is no stranger to getting into scuffles.

"In 2005, Zimmerman, then 20, was arrested and charged with ?resisting officer with violence? and ?battery of law enforcement officer,? both which are third-degree felonies. The charge was reduced to ?resisting officer without violence? and then waived when he entered an alcohol education program." Yeah, if the guy had been charged with at least one of these felonies, he would not have had a permit to carry a weapon.

Yet there are still people who believe Trayvon started the fight.

SMH

One of these days I'll catch a Tarpon... They're tricky devils. I've got no problem filleting little yellow snappers and throwing them on a treble hook and catching a shark or two... Damn I need to go soon.

Tarpon are fun to catch, took me over a half hour to bring a 75lb one.

Martin was suspended from school for having women's jewelry and a screwdriver in his backpack along with a zip lock with weed residue. What do you think he was doing? Returning stolen jewelery, tightening door hinges and bringing weed to his grandmother with arthritis?

If he walks like a criminal, talks like a criminal and throws down like a criminal.... We all must be ignorant racists...

It's not like this kid had a chance anyway. He was doomed to a parasitic lifestyle.

Martin was suspended from school for having women's jewelry and a screwdriver in his backpack along with a zip lock with weed residue. What do you think he was doing? Returning stolen jewelery, tightening door hinges and bringing weed to his grandmother with arthritis?

If he walks like a criminal, talks like a criminal and throws down like a criminal.... We all must be ignorant racists...

It's not like this kid had a chance anyway. He was doomed to a parasitic lifestyle.

Got good grades in school...but since he smoked a little weed let's just give up on him.

You never smoked weed in high school? Still trying to think of what youre getting at with the whole screwdriver comment lol...maybe i just dont think like a criminal but my tool of choice wouldnt be a screwdriver if i wanted to go steal something.

Last edited:
What I find incredibly funny (ok, not really) is all the shit being drug out against Trayvon. Zimmerman's people are all over trying to find ANY incriminating thing about the boy to try and shine the light someplace instead of where it NEEDS to. Weed residue and a screwdriver? Give me a fucking break.

ABC obtained what is allegedly a video of Zimmerman handcuffed at the police station that night; no injuries visible in the video.

so it refutes that police report that he had suffered a broken nose and was bleeding from his scalp: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...rtin-zimmerman-video-20120328,0,6403058.story

One time I was walking home from the corner store and some creepy fat rent a cop wannabe followed me and then put his hands on me. I fist him up pretty good for being a douche. I didn't get shot and he didn't get away with murder. True story. Point being even if Zimmerman did have injuries what would that prove?

Last edited:
One time I was walking home from the corner store and some creepy fat rent a cop wannabe followed me and then put his hands on me. I fist him up pretty good for being a douche. I didn't get shot and he didn't get away with murder. True story. Point being even if Zimmerman did have injuries what would that prove?

nothing.

but it would support his claim of self-defense. based on what his attorney said, his claim has to be that Martin was in the process of beating him to death, and so the use of deadly force was justified.

nothing.

but it would support his claim of self-defense. based on what his attorney said, his claim has to be that Martin was in the process of beating him to death, and so the use of deadly force was justified.

So stand you ground applies only to the last man standing? Whoever lives gets to claim self defense? I'm sure if Trayvon were alive (and Zimmerman did sustain injuries) I'm sure he would claim self defense against a fat rent a cop wannabe who put his hands on him.

This has got to be the dumbest law on the books.

Last edited:
So stand you ground applies only to the last man standing? Whoever lives gets to claim self defense? I'm sure if Trayvon were alive (and Zimmerman did sustain injuries) I'm sure he would claim self defense against a fat rent a cop wannabe who put his hands on him.

that's basically the problem with the law: in some cases, prosecutors have simply declined to press charges, since the only person who could possibly testify to refute the self defense claim is dead.

the law hinges on whether the shooter/defendant reasonably believed their life was in danger.

Here's a portion of the text of the Florida law:
"A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."
That's it. That's all you need to do in Florida to kill someone and get away with it: convince the jury that you reasonably believed it was necessary to use deadly force to prevent death/great bodily harm.

This has got to be the dumbest law on the books.

well, other states have similar laws, but Florida's goes a little further, and with the culture there, since they're not really enforcing their laws in the first place apparently, it takes on a whole new level of craziness.

The other thing that's disturbing: there seems to be an attitude that the use of deadly force was more widespread in the past, like the Wild West. but from a legal standpoint, that's not true. Use of deadly force used to be restricted only to your home (the castle doctrine) and there were obvious reasons why this made sense. nationwide, laws have gotten more and more lax in terms of allowing greater gun ownership & usage. this is mainly through the efforts of the NRA, and if you want to understand why, look at the money gun manufacturers have been making.

They've been making a killing (pun intended) over the last decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's basically the problem with the law: in some cases, prosecutors have simply declined to press charges, since the only person who could possibly testify to refute the self defense claim is dead.

the law hinges on whether the shooter/defendant reasonably believed their life was in danger.

Here's a portion of the text of the Florida law:
"A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."
That's it. That's all you need to do in Florida to kill someone and get away with it: convince the jury that you reasonably believed it was necessary to use deadly force to prevent death/great bodily harm.

The law obviously skewed in favor of the killer. The way its written you don't even have to prove you were in life threatening danger, only that you "reasonably believed" you were.

So I kill someone and say, "he told me he was going to kill me and I believed him". Which is a statement that could only be refuted by a dead man. I have to believe at one time politicians used to have a feeling of responsibility.

On the other hand, I'd rather be judged by a jury of 12 than carried by a pall-bearing crew of six.

I was wondering that too.

I also wonder if the instances used to justify this law, are equal to the harm caused by it. I'm guessing not.

Back