Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions Hire Brad Holmes for GM

Who do you think is the best GM in the NFL?

GMs that consistently have their team picking at the bottom half of the draft. This is done several different ways:

Hiring the right coaching staff is important
Managing Cap
Drafting

Baltimore does all of this well. Lions do none of this well. There were several proven GMs on the market this off season that INTERVIEWED...none of them wanted to be here. To me...thats telling.

GMs that consistently have their team picking at the bottom half of the draft. This is done several different ways:

Hiring the right coaching staff is important
Managing Cap
Drafting

Baltimore does all of this well. Lions do none of this well. There were several proven GMs on the market this off season that INTERVIEWED...none of them wanted to be here. To me...thats telling.

The only proven GM was Rick Smith. Unless you wanted Pioli or Caserio LOL. Rick Smith didn't get hired by anyone and Lions interviewed him. They intereviewed Dodds too but Holmes did better I guess. Fontenot don't know if he picked Falcons over pursuing Lions or if Lions picked Holmes over him.

Jags want Meyer so need to backfill the GM. Panthers and WFT still looking and Panthers have to accept Rhule and Rivera as coach

GMs usually don?t get a 2nd chance and I doubt they could?ve pried away a current GM, even though they tried. This is just the way it goes in the NFL.

Yeah need permission and maybe draft picks to get a Schneider or Colbert

Who knows with John Dorsey. Got fired twice

The only proven GM was Rick Smith. Unless you wanted Pioli or Caserio LOL. Rick Smith didn't get hired by anyone and Lions interviewed him. They intereviewed Dodds too but Holmes did better I guess. Fontenot don't know if he picked Falcons over pursuing Lions or if Lions picked Holmes over him.

Jags want Meyer so need to backfill the GM. Panthers and WFT still looking and Panthers have to accept Rhule and Rivera as coach

Theres a longer list than that. Dmitrov comes to mind.

It seems like a decent hire. Time would tell but most GM that we could have hired all seem similar.

Another point worth noting, Holmes has been through the bad and the good with the Rams. He was promoted to his recent position just as the Rams were turning it around.

Quinn started as a low-level nobody when the Patriots dynasty started, never saw failure.

Millen had no experience.

Mayhew was around for one of the shittiest decades under one of the shittiest GMs, he may have actually been the best of the three.

I heard that he really loves Goff. There is a rumor out there that he wants to trade Matt straight up for Goff.

I don't know how I feel if LKP is jumping for joy on the guy.

LKP thinks every coach, front office guy, and player that is coming to the Lions is the next HOF at their prospective job. He is the true definition of a blind homer.

LKP thinks every coach, front office guy, and player that is coming to the Lions is the next HOF at their prospective job. He is the true definition of a blind homer.

I just posted an article

We'll see on him. You can't get too high or low on a new hire we know very little about

The Rams love him. The GM loves him. He seems to be good on day 2. He loved Donald. But he also loved Goff

Let's see what his plan is

More bashing hughes for already bashing on the guy he knows little about

Last edited:
I just posted an article

We'll see on him. You can't get too high or low on a new hire we know very little about

The Rams love him. The GM loves him. He seems to be good on day 2. He loved Donald. But he also loved Goff

Let's see what his plan is

More bashing hughes for already bashing on the guy he knows little about

You just said he's a A young Ozzie Newsome.

I’m interested to see what direction they go for HC. I didn’t see any connections to the Rams among the candidates they’ve interviewed thus far (not that a connection necessarily matters, see Quinntricia).

I just hope Jeff Fisher isn’t a possibility.

I try not to get too crazy about front office hires. They are always shots in the dark that we all don't know anything about. I know a lot of people probably aren't fans of him but Martin Mayhew was on Millen's staff and he was lightyears better as a talent evaluator in trades, free agents, and the draft. Just took too many low character/risky injury history players.

I try not to get too crazy about front office hires. They are always shots in the dark that we all don't know anything about. I know a lot of people probably aren't fans of him but Martin Mayhew was on Millen's staff and he was lightyears better as a talent evaluator in trades, free agents, and the draft. Just took too many low character/risky injury history players.

He was solid in the FA/trade area so I'll give you that but I won't give a GM a pass because he can draft well in the top 10. It was those 2nd and 3rd and 4th round picks where he failed. He might have been better than Quinn but Quinn set a low bar. And the risky, I just broke my head, is all on Mayhew.

Back