Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions Hire Brad Holmes for GM

but im serious....why would they get comp picks for holding the black man down for 18 years. And we get nothing for promoting him to greatness? How does this make sense?

Last edited:
but im serious....why would they get comp picks for holding the black man down for 18 years. And we get nothing for promoting him to greatness? How does this make sense?

No idea. I'm not going to touch that. It makes as much sense as drafting Jelani Tavai at the top of the 2nd round.

So they get picks because he's black? Not sure that's helping the black candidates.

I think the rule is there to get organizations to groom black coaches and front office personnel. If the Lions have good minorities in their coaching staffs and in the personnel dept. that get poached, the Lions get the picks. I think it will encourage teams to hire minorities because if they lose them to another team (and they advance) they get picks.

I think that is better than just penalizing a team for not interviewing a minority.

lol

Of course, if he has the same success of past Lion GMs, this could be his last job in the NFL.

Will Lions want to hire Brandon Staley to pair with new GM?

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2021/1/14/22231106/lions-coaching-search-brandon-staley-rams

Holmes even mentioned Staley by name in his second interview, according to rumors reported by Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free-Press.

I hope not. A one year DC whose team stacked.

I would be 100% good with that hire. I am tired of the old retread's. I want someone who would bring a new perspective. I may be in the minority on that......but I don't care.

My gut says we're out on Saleh. He's my pick, too......but didn't they say if they hire a GM with no experience, they will want a coach WITH experience.

I don't know.....I just think Saleh will be the best coach out of the bunch.

Verbatim to what I said about Gym Schwartz.

I would be 100% good with that hire. I am tired of the old retread's. I want someone who would bring a new perspective. I may be in the minority on that......but I don't care.

I don't think you're a lone in that thought and I would certainly take him before say Old Man Lewis.

I read this about a possible Staley hire:

Brandon Staley, who has met w/Jets and Chargers (and possibly Lions to come) would bring a very strong staff of rising coaches, I'm told, including Texans DC Anthony Weaver, Colts DB coach Jonathan Gannon (great work with that secondary) and Bears DL coach Jay Rodgers (former QB)

Edit: Jason La Canfora

Last edited:
The Texans D wasn't much better than the Lions.

I'm not going to pretend to know all about the Texans.....but their front 7, besides Watt, was possibly even worse than ours. From the few things I just read....it seems it may have been more of a personnel reason than a scheme issue.

???

I keep seeing stuff on how good holmes drafts... but he's never drafted. He scouted. Im confused.

I keep seeing stuff on how good holmes drafts... but he's never drafted. He scouted. Im confused.

I think the assumption is: He scouted players, gave them appropriate grades, and the GM drafted accordingly.

Last edited:
Snead said straight up how much he relied on Holmes for drafts.. It's why he traded 1sts because he knew Holmes would nail day 2 and day 3

Snead said straight up how much he relied on Holmes for drafts.. It's why he traded 1sts because he knew Holmes would nail day 2 and day 3

let's see if he does the right thing and trade the Lions first round picks back for later firsts and add some day 2 picks (where he shines)

I just hope he doesn't just hire Rams coaches and sign former Rams players. Hope he can actually evaluate all phases of talent and not just do it Quinn's way.

I think the assumption is: He scouted players, gave them appropriate grades, and the GM drafted accordingly.

which is the job of every scouting coordinator lol. Doesnt mean he makes the picks. Just means he did well at applying grades. If you asked the 32 GMs how their scouting director does at that id bet 31 teams will tell you they do AWESOME....hes the best!. the other team will fire their guy and be hiring a new one this off season.

I just hope he doesn't just hire Rams coaches and sign former Rams players. Hope he can actually evaluate all phases of talent and not just do it Quinn's way.

Holmes: Hold my beer

Breaking News: Lions Hire Rams DC as HC

Back