Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions Hire Brad Holmes for GM

He was solid in the FA/trade area so I'll give you that but I won't give a GM a pass because he can draft well in the top 10. It was those 2nd and 3rd and 4th round picks where he failed. He might have been better than Quinn but Quinn set a low bar. And the risky, I just broke my head, is all on Mayhew.

Agreed. He definitely lost his job and deserved it. I just don?t think he was far off from being a good GM. He?s one of the few that will be considered to be a GM elsewhere. He was just way too hit and miss. He had some terrible draft classes and a few really good ones. But my point is, you would have never guessed that he was on the staff with Millen. Dude literally picked like 3 good players his entire time in Detroit. Ok maybe 5.

Agreed. He definitely lost his job and deserved it. I just don?t think he was far off from being a good GM. He?s one of the few that will be considered to be a GM elsewhere. He was just way too hit and miss. He had some terrible draft classes and a few really good ones. But my point is, you would have never guessed that he was on the staff with Millen. Dude literally picked like 3 good players his entire time in Detroit. Ok maybe 5.

I thought I read Mayhew interviewed for GM job just recently. Forget which team.

He was solid in the FA/trade area so I'll give you that but I won't give a GM a pass because he can draft well in the top 10. It was those 2nd and 3rd and 4th round picks where he failed. He might have been better than Quinn but Quinn set a low bar. And the risky, I just broke my head, is all on Mayhew.

Yep day 2 and 3 his downfall other than 2013 and DeAndre Levy in 2009 basically. Some injuries in there too. Fairley and Reiff were 13 and 22 not top 10

But Mayhew helped build San Fran now too

Glad Lions just added a guy who is good on day 2 or 3 of the draft

According to the FREEP, take with a grain of salt, thought the hire was a fail. They said everyone who wasn't the guy from Seattle (had no chance at him because of the extension) and the guy from Pittsburgh - the rest are just a gamble. What GM hire isn't a gamble.

According to the FREEP, take with a grain of salt, thought the hire was a fail. They said everyone who wasn't the guy from Seattle (had no chance at him because of the extension) and the guy from Pittsburgh - the rest are just a gamble. What GM hire isn't a gamble.

Would have taken draft picks to get both of those guys and those teams permission. And even those 2 would be gambles. Don't know if they could recreate success with Lions scouts

Didn?t Carlos Monarrez take over the Drew Sharp troll writer role?

Thinking the Lions could hire away established GMs from successful franchises is nuts, and yet it?s a failure that they didn?t? :lmao:

GMs that consistently have their team picking at the bottom half of the draft. This is done several different ways:

Hiring the right coaching staff is important
Managing Cap
Drafting

Baltimore does all of this well. Lions do none of this well. There were several proven GMs on the market this off season that INTERVIEWED...none of them wanted to be here. To me...thats telling.

My point is.....even Newsome, who ran that front office from 1996 - 2018, never had any experience before he became GM. He has a career "record" of 200-167. Made the playoffs 11 different times with an overall playoff record of 15-9 with 2 Super Bowl wins.

Great GM. No question.

No experience.

Now, I have zero idea how Holmes is going to pan out.....but not having a history as a GM doesn't mean he's going to be bad. There are proven guys that will get hired that will fail, and unproven guys that will succeed. Hope Holmes is one of them.

One a side note......how long until Hughes says we should have hired Katie Holmes instead? I hope never......but Ill set the over/under at 12 games.

My point is.....even Newsome, who ran that front office from 1996 - 2018, never had any experience before he became GM. He has a career "record" of 200-167. Made the playoffs 11 different times with an overall playoff record of 15-9 with 2 Super Bowl wins.

Great GM. No question.

No experience.

Now, I have zero idea how Holmes is going to pan out.....but not having a history as a GM doesn't mean he's going to be bad. There are proven guys that will get hired that will fail, and unproven guys that will succeed. Hope Holmes is one of them.

One a side note......how long until Hughes says we should have hired Katie Holmes instead? I hope never......but Ill set the over/under at 12 games.

Let's get Sherlock Holmes to investigate

And the nickname will be
Bad Holmes if he stinks

Put up one shut up Lions. Holmes seems like a an ok hire. Hate that we are losing picks somewhere but oh well. If he wins we will love him. If he doesn’t we will be here again in 3-4 years. Hopefully it works out well for the Lions. Lions fans sure deserve a winning
Team that is for sure.

Put up one shut up Lions. Holmes seems like a an ok hire. Hate that we are losing picks somewhere but oh well. If he wins we will love him. If he doesn?t we will be here again in 3-4 years. Hopefully it works out well for the Lions. Lions fans sure deserve a winning
Team that is for sure.

they don't lose picks...the Rams get Comp picks from the NFL for losing a black coach/front office person.

Yeah, the draft history was not good. It makes me wonder how much was him and how much did he listen to Fat Bastard? Eventually, he's certainly responsible for his own picks.....but I wonder if he gave in to Patricia on certain picks or not?

I'm still trying to find out how we chose Tavai? No logical reason for it.

Let's get Sherlock Holmes to investigate

And the nickname will be
Bad Holmes if he stinks

Sorry.....if he shits the bed I'm calling him Katie. If he bends someone over in a trade I'm calling him John. If he picks a late round gem....Sherlock.

You can't stop me.

Great GM. No question.

No experience.

Pssshhhh i dont need to wait for any GAMES! As soon as we hire *insert shitty coach name here* his name is changing to Katie! Go get Saleh Holmes!

Pssshhhh i dont need to wait for any GAMES! As soon as we hire *insert shitty coach name here* his name is changing to Katie! Go get Saleh Holmes!

My gut says we're out on Saleh. He's my pick, too......but didn't they say if they hire a GM with no experience, they will want a coach WITH experience.

I don't know.....I just think Saleh will be the best coach out of the bunch.

Back