Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Other Bowls Thread

My argument all season was that the entire big ten sucked. Outside of 1 close loss by Ohio state, everything that happened all season supports that belief. But congrats on being the best team in a shit conference

Where did you make that argument on this forum?

ESPN FPI:

OSU#3
Michigan #4
Penn State #6

Team Ranking SOS

OSU #3
Michigan #9
Penn State #10

If the big ten is a "shit" conference, they all [Power 5] are to some degree. Which means none of them are. Which means that you just like to fling shit around and not care where it lands.

Last edited:
I mean....OSU should have beat Georgia if it wasn't for an epic 4th qtr meltdown.

Every week is different. Especially with young players.

every week is different, and teams will matchup differently against like opponents but I don't think the outcome would have been much better - uofm probably doesn't lose by 58 but they probably get beat pretty badly.

Where did you make that argument on this forum?

ESPN FPI:

OSU#3
Michigan #4
Penn State #6

Team Ranking SOS

OSU #3
Michigan #9
Penn State #10

If the big ten is a "shit" conference, they all [Power 5] are to some degree. Which means none of them are. Which means that you just like to fling shit around and not care where it lands.

SOS is a garbage stat. Totally meaningless.

Are you talking about comparing all of the teams in the conference to other conferences or just the top of the Big 10 to Georgia?

Top of the big ten to the top of the SEC and Clemson. Ohio State could compete some years if they had a better coach. Otherwise the big ten just gets embarrassed in the playoff.

Last edited:
Top of the big ten to the top of the SEC and Clemson. Ohio State could compete some years if they had a better coach. Otherwise the big ten just gets embarrassed in the playoff.

That would make all of college football trash except for about 5 teams

That's one statement: not an argument. I was hoping for more backup to why you think this. Apparently I expected too much in advance. However, it's your opinion -- based on what -- remains a mystery.

It just "sucks." Top notch analysis.

I think there are a few programs that are several levels above the rest. And there is the top level of the rest. And then there are the rest.

Looking at conferences is the wrong approach.

I agree. Just sucks to see how far off from the big boys this conference is.

Like when MSU lost to Alabama and was shut out in the process. My conclusion: Alabama was better than Michigan State, which was a very good team.

Like when MSU lost to Alabama and was shut out in the process. My conclusion: Alabama was better than Michigan State, which was a very good team.

Which is my point Skippy, the top of this conference is only "good" in comparison to the rest of the trash in the conference. Then they get shown how "good" they are when they play the "great" teams. So again, congrats on being the best of a bad conference.

That's one statement: not an argument. I was hoping for more backup to why you think this. Apparently I expected too much in advance. However, it's your opinion -- based on what -- remains a mystery.

It just "sucks." Top notch analysis.

I think there are a few programs that are several levels above the rest. And there is the top level of the rest. And then there are the rest.

Looking at conferences is the wrong approach.

I watched big ten games every Saturday. It wasn't just my Spartans that were playing bad football. Hell maybe it was just a lucky guess that was backed up when Michigan was punched in the mouth on both sides of the ball by the first non cupcake out of conference team they played. A fucking big 12 team at that.

Help me understand why. I am unaware of this.

This is the argument ND fans used to use for decades talking about how they consistently played the toughest schedule in the country because of some arbitrary ranking system. New models have come out but they haven't improved the quality of rankings in my opinion. Kempom seems to have come closest but even that is weak.

It's nearly impossible to evaluate given most of the 125 teams play 12 games and nobody plays tough out of conference opponents anymore. Everyone plays a bunch of pushovers, then they're limited to the teams in their conference.

Unless they're including championship and/or bowl/playoff games (which makes no sense to me), when osu, uofm and psu are all in the top 10 SOS, something has to be wrong. Why wouldn't every B1G East team that's not osu, uofm & psu have a SOS higher than each of them? None of them played anyone out of conference, so how is there SOS tougher? I guess osu played nd but you can't tell me that make's osu's schedule tougher than Rutgers' slate - they both have to play uofm and psu but RU gets osu while osu gets nd.

Which is my point Skippy, the top of this conference is only "good" in comparison to the rest of the trash in the conference. Then they get shown how "good" they are when they play the "great" teams. So again, congrats on being the best of a bad conference.

Perhaps the litmus test could be that programs like MSU, OSU, PSU and Michigan switch places with Vanderbilt, Missouri, Texas A&M, and Arkansas to see where they end up in their new conferences.

Especially since these SEC teams many have to play critical games on the road in November in 30-degree weather.

The SEC could also be categorized as a "bad" conference with one "great" team in Georgia and several "good" teams. Depends where you parse the standings.

I watched big ten games every Saturday. It wasn't just my Spartans that were playing bad football. Hell maybe it was just a lucky guess that was backed up when Michigan was punched in the mouth on both sides of the ball by the first non cupcake out of conference team they played.

You suffer through watching poor football as a what, hobby? Pursuit? Penance?

I mean....OSU should have beat Georgia if it wasn't for an epic 4th qtr meltdown.

That's why I said State fans are retarded when it comes to understanding football. Seriously. I'm telling it like it is. I've seen it for years now, and I'm tired of even entertaining any serious football discussion with them.

OSU had a 14 pt lead in the 4th Q and missed a last second FG to win it...

You could sit there and watch that game with a state fan, and when the clock ran down to 00:00, you'd say "Damn, what crazy back and forth game between the SEC champion and a Big Ten also-ran. OSU could've easily won that, and probably should have."

And the State fan would say "Duuuuuh I told you the Big Ten sucked! The entire conference was bad."

We've seen their screwy take on things before, like the muffed punt in 2015... you and I might've seen a complete fluke of a play hand the win to a team that hadn't lead once. But to State fans? DUUUUUH MSU TOTALLY DOMINATED!

Did you make this same declaration after MSU lost 38-0 to Alabama?

That's why I said State fans are retarded when it comes to understanding football. Seriously. I'm telling it like it is. I've seen it for years now, and I'm tired of even entertaining any serious football discussion with them.

OSU had a 14 pt lead in the 4th Q and missed a last second FG to win it...

You could sit there and watch that game with a state fan, and when the clock ran down to 00:00, you'd say "Damn, what crazy back and forth game between the SEC champion and a Big Ten also-ran. OSU could've easily won that, and probably should have."

And the State fan would say "Duuuuuh I told you the Big Ten sucked! The entire conference was bad."

We've seen their screwy take on things before, like the muffed punt in 2015... you and I might've seen a complete fluke of a play hand the win to a team that hadn't lead once. But to State fans? DUUUUUH MSU TOTALLY DOMINATED!

Lol, you think people take your opinions on football seriously?

osu isn?t the conference also ran - they?re the class of the conference. They?re the only team in the conference with the talent to give GA a game. The fact that they stumbled twice in 20 years doesn?t change that.

And as far as the muffed punt goes, MSU was within one score pretty much the entire night and the game was pretty even statistically. The idea that we had no business winning that game is pure nonsense but if you listen to delusional uofm fans you?d think that play wiped out a 3 score lead.

Last edited:
Back